Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Violator

Dishwasher for sanitizing?

I have read on other brewing websites that some guys are using their dishwashers to sanitize bottles. They just run the bottles through a cycle with out any detergent and use the heat from the drying phase to sanitize. Is this an acceptable method or something that should be avoided. What if you were to do it just prior to bottling allowing just enough time for them to cool off?

"Violator" post=252840 said:

I have read on other brewing websites that some guys are using their dishwashers to sanitize bottles. They just run the bottles through a cycle with out any detergent and use the heat from the drying phase to sanitize. Is this an acceptable method or something that should be avoided. What if you were to do it just prior to bottling allowing just enough time for them to cool off?

:borg: This is a choice you have to make. It works great for some. I guess you could do this for glass bottles... PET bottles, um, maybe not so much. Or at least, not to many times. If you wash your bottles out after empting them, then I guess you could use the dishwasher as a "quasi-sanitizer". It's your beer, do what you think is right. :whistle:

Does your dishwasher have a sanitize cycle? I know some newer models do, but most do not. In order to sanitize by heat the water temp needs to be 180F with a 160°F utensil surface temperature . If you have a probe type thermometer you could always stick the probe in the dishwasher, making sure not to be in the path of any spinning jets and see how hot it gets.

Personally, I have spray bottle of Star San and I just rinse with hot water then spray them down, but that's because I'm using Mr.B 1 liter and Coopers 750ml PET bottles. These are not dishwasher safe.

I know a few others have reported using their dishwasher for sanitizing glass bottles and have not run into any issues. I have not tried it, nor do I believe my dishwasher would do the job sufficiently.

Not too long ago, I purchased the Avvinatore for sanitizing my bottles and it works great. I can sanitize a case of 12oz bottles in mere minutes.

Rick

For fear of ruining my delicious delicious beer I always run my bottles through the dishwasher using Oxiclean Free as detergent and then immediately sanitize using Iodophor spray bottle and bottle. All in all for MrB batches it ain't bad (20 bottles), but doing a 5 gallon brew I have my gf help because 50 bottles is rough.

"rickbray66" post=252902 said:

I know a few others have reported using their dishwasher for sanitizing glass bottles and have not run into any issues. I have not tried it, nor do I believe my dishwasher would do the job sufficiently.

Not too long ago, I purchased the Avvinatore for sanitizing my bottles and it works great. I can sanitize a case of 12oz bottles in mere minutes.

Rick

+ 1 to the vinator and bottle tree method. Very efficient way to sanitize large batches of bottles.