Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elsteve-o

scored a gold mr. beer kit for $24 at jc pennys

if you go to the catalog counter and ask for their back stock they will sell them for $24 thats the full kit with 2 standard refills. I just dont know what to do with all the booster ive already got.

"Elsteve-o" post=253077 said:

I just dont know what to do with all the booster ive already got.

Just a thought, but I used two bags of booster in my wife's rooty-tooty-fruity beverage (aka 'hard' lemonade). I hope she likes it, because I have another dozen bags to get rid of.

"Elsteve-o" post=253077 said:

if you go to the catalog counter and ask for their back stock they will sell them for $24 thats the full kit with 2 standard refills. I just dont know what to do with all the booster ive already got.

From what I've found, anything that has > 2# of malt extract in it, 1/2 to 1 bag of booster doesn't make suck, especially if you are looking to dry it out a touch and let the hops shine more then the malt.

Maybe in a similar thought to what Mashani put out there. Just because you have a full bag doesn't mean you have to use it. If you never use booster and you have umpteen bags you ain't never going to use...you CAN always just you half a bag.

If the concern is the malt:adjunct ratio...try to use 6-to-8 oz. of it rather than all 13 oz.

E=mc can you send me that recipe? I would love to try and make something like that for my wife because she doesnt like beer. And thanks guys for the advice on what to use the booster for!!!!

Guest System Admin

I have been using my booster up as Priming sugar, just do it as 80% fermentable and your good.
Just done bottle prime with it, for some reason isdoesn't work as good that way.

For my taste I ike 60g - 75g booster batch primed for most beers, one other here like more 70g - 80g. Try 75g for a Mr. beer batch and if you like less cut back, more try 75g.

I use 1/2 - 1cup filtered water heated add booster stir and bring to boil in microwave. Stir and cover with sanitized foil and place in fridge to cool.

"Elsteve-o" post=253334 said:

E=mc can you send me that recipe? I would love to try and make something like that for my wife because she doesn't like beer. And thanks guys for the advice on what to use the booster for!!!!

There are a number of recipes around. Going through the ones posted here here, here, here, and here, I came up with this:

4 cans of frozen juice concentrate (*)
2 bags of Booster
20 oz table sugar
8 oz lactose
1 packet Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast (yellow packet)

(*) My wife picked out two cans of Welch's Raspberry Blend and two cans of Wal-Mart lemonade. I think that the lemonade is a bit too bitter, but it is 'her' drink, not mine. ;)

You'll find that the recipes in the threads I linked to generally use 2.5 pounds of sugar (40 oz's). Since the Booster is only 80% fermentable, two bags of booster takes the place of only 20 oz's of sugar. There's a wide range of amounts of lactose used, so I just took a shot with it. You can also use xylitol to sweeten if someone is lactose intolerant.

I brought the booster, lactose, and table sugar to a boil (stirring constantly) in a couple of quarts of water. Added the four cans of concentrate to the fermenter with a gallon of water, dumped the must (wort) into the fermenter and topped off with enough water to make 2.5 gallons. Stirred well, added the rehydrated and proofed yeast, waited a while and stirred again. There's little to no krausen to worry about with that yeast, so 2.5 gallons worked just fine. Bottle primed with a 1/2 tsp of table sugar. I added a packet of Splenda for more sweetness since it won't ferment. The wife likes another packet of Splenda, and I tend to agree with her on this batch. I'll probably use bulk Splenda the next time and sweeten the whole batch before bottling.

We cracked open the first bottle last night after a couple of days in the fridge. Wow... It's VERY potent. I didn't get an original gravity reading so I can't say for sure, but I believe it to be between 10 and 15% ABV. What's cool is that it tastes like there isn't any alcohol at all. We're going to take some to my wife's girlfriend's and watch her drink one... :evil:

If you were to use xylitol instead of lactose, do you know how much? As soon as I get back from vacation, I'd like to make a batch of it.

Guest System Admin

"ba1980" post=253457 said:

If you were to use xylitol instead of lactose, do you know how much?
As soon as I get back from vacation, I'd like to make a batch of it.

Just a warning xylitol is deadly to many animals, so if you have pets (especially dogs) be careful.

As for xylitol it is some what sweeter than Lactose, if you like sweeter drinks add same amount as the Lactose, but if not cut it back 2oz or so.

Thanks, yes I knew it was deadly to animals. I have cats, but I am careful when brewing anyways and they usually don't bother me while brewing.

Back on the original topic, we no longer have a JC Pennys locally or I would have checked them now that I know.

E=mc can you send me that recipe? I would love to try and make something like that for my wife because she doesnt like beer. And thanks guys for the advice on what to use the booster for!!!!

My brother periodically brews a batch that is all malt, with no hops for his wife. When he told me that, I said that I thought it would be cloyingly sweet and undrinkable. He told me that as far as he was concerned, my description was pretty accurate, but she likes it, so he just makes sure he never drinks one from her batch.

"bpgreen" post=253501 said:

My brother periodically brews a batch that is all malt, with no hops for his wife. When he told me that, I said that I thought it would be cloyingly sweet and undrinkable. He told me that as far as he was concerned, my description was pretty accurate, but she likes it, so he just makes sure he never drinks one from her batch.

I would try that but im afraid if she doesnt like it ill have to drink it :laugh: I just cant dump a beer unless it is a super fail

"Joechianti" post=253398 said:

Are these the small 6 oz cans of frozen juice or the larger 12 oz ones?

12oz cans.

I just realized something: I posted that I bottle primed with 1/2 tsp of cane sugar. I forgot to mention that I used 12oz bottles. There's some fizz, but it isn't like drinking soda.

If only JC Penny were open when I drive by them! It's nearly an hour drive to get there and I pass them on the way to/from work. Problem is that I go to work late one night and get home even later the next night.