Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
meopilite

DME

The best place would be a local home brew store (LHBS) if you have one nearby. Many of the LHBS have websites with online ordering, so you can go that route as well.

Rick

"meopilite" post=253288 said:

ok, so once i obtain some DME, what do i do with it? use it instead of HME or UME?

That's pretty much the size of it. One lb of DME is equal to approx 1.25 lbs of UME (one MrB can). It is not hopped like HME, but the amount holds true like for UME, just you'll have to hop it yourself.

DME does not have to be boiled, but once you do boil it(if you need to do a hop boil), you must take it past the "heat break" until the foaming up subsides. And do prepare yourself for the boiling over thing.

"meopilite" post=253288 said:

ok, so once i obtain some DME, what do i do with it? use it instead of HME or UME?

I have been using DME as an additive IN ADDITION to Mr Beer cans of HME/UME. It's a way to increase the alchohol content and body without making my stout 'cidery' as if I just added sugar.

2 cans sticky wicket HME
3 cups Breiss DME
2 cups Brown Sugar

Mmmmmmm

"bpgreen" post=253274 said:

One online source with good prices is http://dmemart.com

This is the way to go if you don't have a local brew shop. This guy DOES NOT charge shipping, and he turns your order around very quickly. It's like he spends all his time sitting in the warehouse staring at his computer with open boxes and piles of Dry Malt Extract bags sitting around just waiting for you to hit the 'purchase' button on your browser.

*S*