Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
powers1334

hop steeping questions

Hey guys, My directions call for a hop boil and a hop steep. my question is about the hop steep. am i to steep after flame out?? if so, do i steep and remove the hops, or should i just let them stick it out throughout the fermentation?? any help will be appreciated.

The standard Mr. B directions call for pitching the hops at flame out and just leaving them in the LBK to settle into the trub. This is fine if you plan on bottling after a week or two, but much longer than 2 weeks and your risking picking up grassy flavors from the hops. Some high alpha hops my start to give off a grassy taste after 5-7 days. Another method is to dry hop after primary fermentation is complete, usually 5-7 days then throw your hops in the LBK. I've done this twice now commando (no hop sack) and the particles just sink into the trub during the next week or two.

thanks for your quick response jdub. trouble is this isnt a mr beer brew, its a clone. the directions say to do a boil of hops as well as a 5 minute steep and a 2 minute steep. that is where i am confused. it doesnt seem to be a dry hop, but i was wondering if the steep should be done with 5 minutes left in the boil and 2 minutes left in the boil, or after flameout, or if it even matters.

A little more info on what you are using would be helpful...

But in general, a hop boil means just that... Add hops to the boiling wort.

This is typically done via a schedule of additions... Using a 'Nasa Countdown' timing approach such as 'T-60' which means add the hops 60 minutes before the end of the boil, and it stay in until the boil ends...

Typically, (rough example here), additions between T-60 and T-30 add to the Bitterness profile, while additions between T-10 and T-20 adding to the Flavor profile and T-0 through T-5 through T-10 adding to Aroma. Dry hop additions, preferably after the first 5 days of fermentation, also add greatly to the Aroma profile.

The amount to use for each addition will vary based on the overall gravity of the wort, the Alpha Acid (AA%) percentage of the Hops you are using, and the overall ratio of bitterness to sweetness you are trying to achieve. There are brewing tools that can assist you in calculating the above... One that I use is at hopville.com (no affiliation, just happens to be one that I use).

If you follow the above, and based on what you said about the 'kit' you have, you are probably looking at an initial addition of some amount of hops that came with the kit of T-60 or T-45 or T-30 (longer equals more extraction), followed with another addition at T-5 for flavor, and T-2 for aroma,

The flavor addition can be T-5-10, aroma should stay at 2, and unless the kit specifies the bitterness boil, T-30-45 is safe.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

No doubt, you will have made beer!

:)