Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Stumpkicker

Can I Skip a Cleaning? Update

So rooting around the forums I came across a link to another small beer making kit. They claim you can skip several cleanings in a row.

So here is my proposal I make a half batch of Whispering Wheat beer then as soon as I bottle it I would make the second half batch a raspberry wheat.

Nor being lazy, just a newbie wondering if it is feasible.

Thanks.

if your asking can you use the trub base for a second fermentation, the answer is, yes. Just pay very close attention to the temps. If you add hot wort to the yeast cake, it may kill it.

I'm not real sure I'm comfortable with half batches due to the large amount of headspace you'll have in there during the ferment, but it's your beer and just b/c I'm not comfortable with it doesn't mean you shouldn't do your thing...

do a search for fermenting on yeast cake and you'll come across a few threads. from what I've read there is a chance of picking up some off flavors from the trub.

Guest System Admin

I made the German Hefeweizen and pitched the standard WWW refill on the yeast cake. Turned out to be one of my better beers.

The Weihenstephan Weizen Liquid Yeast is realy great yeast and I think that is why it was so good for a repitch batch

I've pitched on the existing yeast cake a couple of times, but it was really more as an experiment than anything. I can't say I'd really recommend it, but if you decide to try it, the general rule of thumb is to go from lower to higher. That's lower OG to higher OG, lower IBU to higher IBU, lower SRM to higher SRM. That way, you're less likely to have carryover from one batch to the next. I would also never do it with two batches in a row.

Well it worked! I made half a batch of wheat beer and immediately upon bottling it I made a half batch of raspberry wheat beer without cleaning the keg. Both came out well.
:cheers:

"PatBattle" post=253421 said:

I'm not real sure I'm comfortable with half batches due to the large amount of headspace you'll have in there during the ferment, but it's your beer and just b/c I'm not comfortable with it doesn't mean you shouldn't do your thing...

Why is increased headspace a possible issue?

I think to much headspace increases the risk of more oxygen exposure.

How do you aerate the wort when you pitch on the cake? Or is it ok then to disturb the trub at that point?

Guest System Admin

The reason for more head space is that when you repitch the yeast goes NUTS and with 20X the amount you normally pitch so it is wild ride the first couple days.

When you repitch you can not help mixing up the trub, it will settle out, you do not want to mix up trub after primary on a "current" beer. But on a repitch it happens

Yeah, I'm considering doing a repitch of some 1.07-1.08ish Belgians on top of my patersbier yeast cakes, which started off as a 1.046. Used 3787, which likes to be fed, and works nicely for repitching as long as you go big... but it *will* make a freaking mess if you overfill, I'm going to cap my batch size at 2 gallons, maybe even 1.8 gallons at first and make up the difference in a sugar feeding - to try to contain the mess to some extent.

Guest System Admin

"mashani" post=273241 said:

Yeah, I'm considering doing a repitch of some 1.07-1.08ish Belgians on top of my patersbier yeast cakes, which started off as a 1.046. Used 3787, which likes to be fed, and works nicely for repitching as long as you go big... but it *will* make a freaking mess if you overfill, I'm going to cap my batch size at 2 gallons, maybe even 1.8 gallons at first and make up the difference in a sugar feeding - to try to contain the mess to some extent.

+100%