Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
GarretSTL

Fruit

Hey Guys,

A couple quick questions about the mango that I will be adding to my summer beer next week:

A)The jar of mango I bought is 20 oz and the MB recipes all call for 15 oz, such as the Oregon cans. Didn't think it would be a big deal, just might produce a stronger mango flavor?

B) The manual says to make sure the can is preservative free, but the can I have lists preservatives. Is it extremely important that I find another source? If so, what is the best source of non preservative mango puree?

Thanks!

A) I agree. Should be fine, more mango flavor.

B) It can be important. What is listed? By the way, lol@ B ) changing to B) I was wondering what was with A) and B)

"GarretSTL" post=253743 said:

The preservatives are sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, if that means anything to anyone.

From the reading I have done so far, the potassium sorbate will kill off your yeast stopping any further fermentation. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Technically it just stops your yeast from reproducing. If you add it to primary you will probably have serious problems especially if using one packet of Mr. Beer yeast. If you add it to secondary, you would probably be fine...but that's just speculation. Standard wisdom would be to avoid it altogether. I also have no idea what sodium benzoate is or if/how it affects yeast.

"SenorPepe" post=253779 said:

Technically it just stops your yeast from reproducing....

Thanks for the correction, SenorPepe. Instead of killing the yeasties off, they die of attrition. So, you will get some fermentation until they die a natural death. Thanks for helping me get a better understanding of how it works!

Well, technically....the problem is more so that the first part of fermentation is the yeast growing and multiplying. Even when you pitch the correct amount, you usually have a little reproduction going on before the yeast get to the business of eating sugar. Sorbate prevents it from reproducing so it can even just stick and refuse to move from the OG because there are never sufficient cells to get going. If it does start, then yes you will probably see it stall out or produce off-flavors from a stressed fermentation.

If he doesn't want to use this can now but wants to get it going, can't he go buy some actual mangos and boil them up a little?

Psshht beats me. I probably wouldn't . I don't know much about mangos but I think boiling it would set the pectins and create a permanent, or at least hard to remove, haze. Pureeing in a sanitized blender and adding at flameout would probably be better.

That's pretty much what I meant. Whatever fruit I've used I puree and make sure it's heated enough to kill anything bad......not actually boil the fruit. I plan on experimenting a lot with things over time and hope to report back good things.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I planned on adding it to secondary fermentation, but now I am hesitant. I have thought about getting fresh mangos and making a puree, but I don't understand what you mean by heating them up but not boiling them.

I wonder if trying the canned mango is too much of a risk?

My last 2 batches I made were a Pumpkin Lager and Chocolate Covered Cherries (both Mr. B recipes). The pumpkin lager I used Libby's pumpkin puree and added it 7 days in. The Chocolate Covered Cherries I used Oregon Fruit Cherries in heavy syrup (the same that Mr. B sells) and also added them at 7 days in. Didn't heat anything, just pureed and dumped them in.

"ba1980" post=254025 said:

My last 2 batches I made were a Pumpkin Lager and Chocolate Covered Cherries (both Mr. B recipes). The pumpkin lager I used Libby's pumpkin puree and added it 7 days in. The Chocolate Covered Cherries I used Oregon Fruit Cherries in heavy syrup (the same that Mr. B sells) and also added them at 7 days in. Didn't heat anything, just pureed and dumped them in.

How was the cherries brew? Sounds daleeeecious!

I would think that the only thing you want to do with fruit is make sure there are no contaminants (bacteria). To do that only requires getting the temperature up to a certain point to kill it. It is not necessary to then boil it. I clean and sanitize my blender and pretty much just flash heat the fruit to make sure it's clean. The fruit in the Oregon cans is probably already heated and sterile, so one can probably just dump them right in. I would tend to want to heat just about everything to a point where we can feel comfortable that all bacteria is killed.