Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joechianti

It's All Starting to Make Sense

I'm sure everyone here already went through this phase, but for me it's all new.

Spending the first few months putting up batch after batch of beer without any idea what they tasted like was frustrating, of course. But now that I've been able to try several samples from each of my first five batches, I've been able to gain a lot of useful insight.

It's great to see so many of the things talked about here actually come to life in the form of personal experience. Hearing about adjuncts drying out the beer meant very little to me until I tasted it for myself. Same with malt/hops balance. It sounded good on paper, but to be honest, it was like a foreign language. Now that I can taste all these things for myself, and compare what happens when you do this to what happens when you do that, it really hits home. This is very good.

I feel like I've learned so much more than I ever believed I would just from discussions here on the Borg. Now I'm finally able to have living illustrations to drive these things home, and I am looking forward to learning so much more.

It really has been much like learning a new language. But I think I'm actually starting to understand it. I'm sure I'm probably just at the tip of the iceberg, but that's okay.

I hate to sound mushy, but I owe so much to this Borg and the great bunch of folks that patiently share their experience. Not just folks. Friends.

Joe, +1 to all you said. I feel the same and its been a great experience so far.

+1 to that!

Since 26 Dec 11 I've brewed 11 batches, bottled 10 of them and tasted 6 so far. It has been a great learning experience. The knowledge and help of the collective has given me confidence while improving my processes and results with each batch.

Amen to that. As a Chef/Instructor it's a great feeling to see the change my students have when they progress from following a recipe to creating flavor combinations, not because they got lucky, but they understand. I'm feeling that way myself again, but this time it's with beer. :chug: :chug:

Excellent, Joe, et al. Everyone has a different way of learning and assimilating new information, and everyone's learning curve is different. But when it all starts to click, no matter how you got there, it's a great feeling. I feel it from time to time, and I imagine every brewer has those "aha!" moments. It's what makes this craft such a delight; you can always discover something new, and improve your craftsmanship.

:barman:

"Joechianti" post=253916 said:

I feel like I've learned so much more than I ever believed I would just from discussions here on the Borg. Now I'm finally able to have living illustrations to drive these things home, and I am looking forward to learning so much more.

It really has been much like learning a new language. But I think I'm actually starting to understand it. I'm sure I'm probably just at the tip of the iceberg, but that's okay.

I hate to sound mushy, but I owe so much to this Borg and the great bunch of folks that patiently share their experience. Not just folks. Friends.

Learning new things are just fun!