Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gman585

5.2 pH Stabilizer

Anyone use 5.2 pH stabilizer? Last AG batch I did I measured the pH and I think it was a little high. (Used a test strip which was a PITA because all the colors looked so similar!) My efficiency is on the low side and I'm afraid it has something to do with the pH but have heard mixed reviews about the 5.2 stabilizer. Seems like some say its great and others say it doesn't work and makes the beer taste salty. I think it depends on what your starting water is like, but just wondering if anyone here uses it and what your thoughts are.

Do you have a LHBS near you?

I asked mine and the guyssaid "We sell it, but I don't use it since the water here in town is fine. If your using some other well water maybe test it"

So They use the city tap water "Filtered" too, so I do as they do

"Trollby" post=254195 said:

Do you have a LHBS near you?

I asked mine and the guyssaid "We sell it, but I don't use it since the water here in town is fine. If your using some other well water maybe test it"

So They use the city tap water "Filtered" too, so I do as they do

Yeah, got a LHBS. I'll check with them and see if I can track down a few other local brewers to see what they recommend. The muni water is pretty good and tastes good right out of the tsp, but not too sure beyond that.

There have been threads about PB stabilizer on the AHA and Northern Brewer forums. General consensus is it does not work. But it does add a lot of sodium to your beer. I threw mine away.

I've used the 5.2 once so far. I was having efficency issues as well as some tannin extraction and both are considered a ph issue. I read some mixed reviews as well but when i was at Northern Brewer, I talked the clerk working and expressed my conscerns and he said he's not experienced anything bad with it other than some people dont like to put "chemicals" in their beer. He thought maybe those who tasted sodium had other issues going on.

I just bottled my Pale ale that I used it on and my mash eff went up from 75 to 85 and my brewhouse went from 65 to 77 with very little else changing. So time will tell if this trend continues.

PS I know russki was using it for the 1st time as well when I did and he seemed to report similar success.

I just did my first AG recipe the other day and I did not use it. I did test my water though and it seemed to be right at 5.2. So, I don't think I'll be buying any.

I've used it with my last three brews, I haven't noticed any increase in eff, no added salty taste but that has to do with using the correct amount. I have noticed that I get more hop bitterness and flavor, so for that reason I'll continue to use it. Tried using test strips but to hard to read :unsure: