Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Wally World Cyser

I was at Wally World yesterday and saw Indian Summer brand apple juice for $2.80 a gallon. Score! Decided to do a "clean the pantry" cyser. For those who don't know what a cyser is - it's a combination of mead and cider (made with apple juice and honey). I had almost 2 pounds of clover honey left over from my Sour Cherry Mead, so I figured I would try making some.

Here's the recipe:
2 gallons Indian Summer 100% apple juice (no preservatives)
2# clover honey
4 oz lactose
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp yeast energizer

4 packs of fromunda

I poured about a quart of juice from one of the jugs into a pot, added lactose, nutrient and energizer, and boiled for 10 min to sanitize. In the meantime, I poured the honey into the jug of juice and shook to mix well. Rehydrated fromunda in some 95F water, cooled boiled mixture, and added all of it together into an LBK. Used my O2 setup to oxygenate for a minute, and into the basement it went.

OG: 1.074.

Hoping that fromunda (and lactose) will leave it on the sweeter side. Other ciders I made with champagne yeast were pretty dry and took a long time to mellow out.

Sounds like a good way to clean out the pantry. Nice price on the AJ. Have you ever boiled supermarket apple juice before?

Nope... and I only boiled a quart to sanitize lactose and make room to mix in honey - everything else went in at room temp.

Cool. You don't have any concerns about it clearing? I was told not to boil peach juice I think it was, a while ago, without pectic enzyme because it would set the pectin. So now I never boil any fruit products although that's probably too cautious!

Bottled this one today - FG: 1.008, or 8.5%/abv. Taste at bottling was great - semi-dry, with great apple and honey notes, cannot taste the alcohol at all. I decided to keep it still, so didn't prime. This one should be drinkable immediately. A very tasty recipe.

A note: it didn't completely clear, even after 2 months. I think SenorPepe was right about the pectin issue. It's just a tiny bit hazy. Next time I will definitely not boil the juice.

Hay-oh! Sorry to hear it didn't clear yet. Could still drop out; my cyser took a long time. Glad it turned out well for you. 1.008 sounds great.

"SenorPepe" post=271247 said:

Hay-oh! Sorry to hear it didn't clear yet. Could still drop out; my cyser took a long time. Glad it turned out well for you. 1.008 sounds great.

The funny thing is - after a few days in the bottles, it's now completely clear. Not sure why it wouldn't clear after 2 months in the LBK, but a couple days in the bottle did the trick... go figure.

I'm thinking to throw a couple bottles in the fridge for the weekend - it tasted completely ready to drink at bottling time.

On a side note: I think ciders and cysers are the perfect use for fromunda - it attenuates much less than wine or champagne yeast, leaving just enough sugars for a nice semi-dry finish. Too bad I've used up all my fromunda with these experiments :) I guess since it's supposed to be S-33, I can try using that for my future batches, or I hear that Notty is excellent for ciders/cysers.

"russki" post=271266 said:

"SenorPepe" post=271247 said:

The funny thing is - after a few days in the bottles, it's now completely clear. Not sure why it wouldn't clear after 2 months in the LBK, but a couple days in the bottle did the trick... go figure.

I'm thinking to throw a couple bottles in the fridge for the weekend - it tasted completely ready to drink at bottling time.

On a side note: I think ciders and cysers are the perfect use for fromunda - it attenuates much less than wine or champagne yeast, leaving just enough sugars for a nice semi-dry finish. Too bad I've used up all my fromunda with these experiments :) I guess since it's supposed to be S-33, I can try using that for my future batches, or I hear that Notty is excellent for ciders/cysers.

I've never done a cider or cyser, but if you're looking for a low attenuating yeast, I wouldn't pick Nottingham. When I've used it, I've almost always gotten more than 80% attenuation.