Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pocred

taste of Mr.beer

Is out just me? I'm a new brewer, started in December. But all my Mr beer brews taste the same!? Even the seasonal pilsner. Is it water, can't be yeast I've used different types. They all have the same taste to me, i'm by no means a beer connoisseur. Thanks guys in advance.

well, what is it that they all taste like? They should not taste the same. There are some that claim they taste a twang in each batch but its usually associated with their yeast or using too much booster.to malt.

What recipes have you made so far? I know that some of the basic HME/booster recipes can be similar. I mean, I can't imagine that a St. Patrick's Oatmeal Stout tastes just like an HCCD, but I'm curious.

Another consideration is conditioning time. Alot of the flavors won't come through without proper conditioning. I think everyone on here will atest to the fact that the beer is good after 3 to 4 weeks in the bottle, but it's much better after 6 to 8 weeks + in the bottle.

I can see your claim based on the yeast used. Using the "fromunda" yeast would possibly give a similar flavor profile, but the Imperial Pilsner uses a totally different yeast. How soon are you drinking your batches? I let mine sit a minimum of six weeks in the bottle.

It could be your water. It could be the yeast if you are using the same yeast every time. It could be related to your process (how is your temperature control?).

That said, some extract brands, just like some beers, have a "house character" that is more easily discernible by some than by others. Dundee is a brand of beer that strikes me that way; all their beers taste the same to me. It may well be that you, like I, taste a house character with the MB extracts that many, if not most people do not. Eliminate one variable at a time, but consider one of those variables the extract brand itself. If you make one (or several) beers entirely with another extract, and do not taste that same character, and then notice it again with another MB batch, that could be your problem. I'm not saying that it IS; only that it is a possibility. You will have to be the ultimate judge.

I have already played with too many styles to say the same thing but what I do notice is that early on the flavors of homebrew can be a bit of a mish mosh of flavors, many of which are repetative in that way even if they're clearly different styles. What I'm noticing after 2 months, 3 months, is that those flavors improve and meld and mature.....they develop and work together better.

So far I've had the WCPA and Octoberfest Vienna with Amber. They taste completely different to me. Both were 2-2-2.

-cor-

I've noticed that all of my beers have a certain unique flavor that I attribute to the very hard water I have.

I like it, it reminds me that it's my beer I'm drinking.

*edit, all of the different styles I've brewed have tasted different.

Canada draft, cowboy ale, american blonde ale, all taste the same to me. West Coast pale ale taste a little different. Could be my water. We have a lot of minerals in the water here.

"meopilite" post=255178 said:

Canada draft, cowboy ale, american blonde ale, all taste the same to me. West Coast pale ale taste a little different. Could be my water. We have a lot of minerals in the water here.

If you are brewing those recipes with just one HME, one pouch booster and the 1 "fromunda" yeast then I could see how they all taste very similar. I think that yeast is very discernible IMO, especially in the basic recipes. Try upping the malt/adj ratio and using different yeasts...

all of the standard batches ive made have tasted similar,if i tried them before 2 months in the bottle.but any of them i waited on have turned out ok.def drinkable.so i just smile and do just that.

Personally I've had the West Coast Pale Ale, and recently the American Devil IPA mr beer kits.
The ADIPA definitely tastes better, richer, fuller, and this is drinking it before it's even carbed fully. But it has twice the malt extract as the WCPA.
I'd suggest upgrading to premium kits, or better yet check out some recipes with specialty grains and hop additions.
I can't wait to try my 5-gallon batch that I did a hop-boil on with specialty grains, I imagine it's gonna taste even better!

"meopilite" post=255342 said:

I like using booster tho.... Makes the beer more foamy

I've noticed that too, seems that the brews I use booster in have better head & retention.

"meopilite" post=255342 said:

I like using booster tho.... Makes the beer more foamy

If you have a LHBS nearby, you might want to take a stab at replacing that booster with 1lb of DME. It's essentially the same procedure, and will have the same head retention effects while replacing an adjust with malt.

This topic of Mr Beer taste sameness has been discussed here for a couple of years. There is a certain similarity to the MB taste. Could be they use some of the same hops or malts in all their extracts. It helps to use some malt and yeast from other companies.

It's the maltodextrin in the booster that helps with the head retention. Any steeping grain, malt, or extract that will add dextrines to your beer will have a similar affect. Or just plain maltodextrin from your LHBS, use 4oz or so in a Mr. Beer batch.

"mashani" post=255379 said:

It's the maltodextrin in the booster that helps with the head retention. Any steeping grain, malt, or extract that will add dextrines to your beer will have a similar affect. Or just plain maltodextrin from your LHBS, use 4oz or so in a Mr. Beer batch.

Never used maltodextrine. When do you add it? Dissolve and boil like booster?

I kind of agree with the OP on this one. I have tried about six batches now and they all have a very similar "taste" early on. I always try a bottle at 2 weeks because I have no patience and that is when I get this similar flavor. That said, after 4 or more weeks I find it is gone and the flavors in the beer really start to come out.

I also started steeping on my last few batches and that "taste" was not apparent in my test bottle of Dopple Bock.

I also think that PET bottles absorb that "same" flavor more so than glass. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the PET bottles seem to have a yeasty flavor to them.