Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
meopilite

How much can u handle?

I admit it.... I'm a lightwieght. After 1 liter of my homemade beer, im intoxicated. Thats right....., cant drive a car, cant take my contacts out, cant say the ABC's backward (or forward, not like i can anyway). And sometimes i come up with silly forum topics like his one,

Oh but I do luv my homemade beer.

How much of ur homemade beer can u handle?? Come on, admit it. 1,2,3 liters....???

I drank 2 liters the other day and was lit. But I live in Utah where everything is 3.2% so full strength beers seek up on me.

I don't drink any beer or alcohol if I am going to drive. It isn't worth it to take a chance and hit someone. So if that is the criteria, less than one.

As for what I can hold when I am at home and not going anywhere, it depends on the brew. I can easily do a six pack of 4% ABV beer without feeling bad. Less if the ABV is higher.

All my home brews go right around the 5.8% to 6.0% range. I usually know I've had enough at about 3 to 4 pints. Feeling real good. Anything beyond that point, might as well pour down the sink as drink it, for me. I'd go from feeling good to feeling nothing. I'm getting too old for that.

With the right company and atmosphere, in a laid back mood, I can grab a buzz on 2 beers. But, I don't drink for the buzz, but the taste. Now, there are some jam nights that you get hot and thirsty and if you're not paying attention or careful, before you know it, it hits you and you're in no shape to drive.
Sadly, most of the beers I buy are high in alcohol but I truly try to brew beers under 6%.

I drink for the flavor and mouthfeel, not for the buzz so I generally stop at 1 or 2 twelve or 16 oz bottles. Most of my brews are in the 6-7%. ABV range so 1 or 2 are fine for me. When I was in my 20s I could easily polish off a sixer, but I drank cheap crappy (BMC) beer then. I also am counting my calories now. I generally do not drive if I have had any alcohol. Just not worth the risk of a DUI or of hurting someone.

I've never had more than 3 bottles (450mL Grolsch swingtops) of my beer in a single night. After two, I can tell I've had a couple of beers, but wouldn't say I'm drunk. After that third one, though, I've been a bit loopy a couple of times!

Like the rest of you, I drink my beer...and any beer, really...for the flavor and the enjoyment of it, not for the buzz. That said, there are some days, after a bad day at work, that the beer tastes just a bit better than others. I don't know if that's because of the numbing effect of the alcohol or because of the calming effect of enjoying something brewed of my own hands...

Sadly, I have an Irish liver and an American gut. I can pound four pints of 7% beer before feeling any significant buzz and six before I seem impaired.

That said, I usually limit myself to one or two drinks at a setting mostly to keep the pounds off and partially because I don't want to see how far down the rabbit hole my genetic high tolerance will go. I've got some family who don't know when to quit and have wrecked their lives. I'd rather not go down that path.

Fun Post meopilite,
1: I drink a lot of beer everyday (after work of course) sometimes I get tuned somenights not.
2: I don't believe in drinking and driving, just a lot of drinking.
3: bad thing to say but on any giving night I will have a average of around 96 ozs of beer.
4: Yes some of my home brews will hit me harder then most BMC's.
5: The other day came back home from having the up the pooper test with anesthetics, told not to have any alcohal the rest of the day, had 3 home mades and a couple BMC's I was telling stories all night. Hammered

i had gasteric bypass a number of years ago and ever since, i'm a cheap date. i enjoy having 1-2 beers. any more and i am in trouble. at a party or get together, i can have at most 8 beers over many hours and i usually regret it the next day. my limit i self impose is 4 in a day....doesnt always work tho.

"christler" post=255531 said:

I drank 2 liters the other day and was lit. But I live in Utah where everything is 3.2% so full strength beers seek up on me.

As an fyi from a fellow Utahn, 3.2% beer is 3.2% ABW, which is about 4% ABV, so the full strength beer may not be as strong as you think.

I never drink enough to get drunk, I got over that in college... so I don't know how much I can "handle" these days. I will drink 2 pints of a 3.n% English bitter. Anything stronger = less beer. A big Belgian I will just nurse a bottle for a few hours and enjoy it. I drink for flavor and nutrition. Yeah really, nutrition, because I am so active, I *need* the calories.

EDIT: Oh, and I never drink and get in a car. Never. I drink my homebrew... at home!

I never drink during my work week. I drink both of my nights off. I can drink 6 of my 5% or 6% beers. If I have one of my Ralph's Wag Your Tail Pale Ales (9%) and one of my Breckenridge Christmas Ale Clones (9.5%) I am done for the night.

I think it's very interesting that there's such a high level of moderation and responsibility about drinking among those who brew their own. Okay, some of you can stop laughing now. I'm serious for a change.

You could easily expect home brewers to be big over-indulgers, thinking that the obsession with making it equates to the obsession with drinking it. One COULD think that. But I think they'd be wrong, from what I'm seeing here and experiencing for myself.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a slight warm glow as much as anyone, but there's just no point in getting sloppy about anything, including drinking.

Instead, there seems to be a healthy respect for the process and the product. And I happen to think that's a beautiful thing. I hate to offer up another opportunity for laughs, but I feel honored to be among what I consider to be one of the finest group of people I've met in ages.

Okay, enough mushy talk for one night. I'm cutting myself off.

On average I never drink more than two or sometimes 3 of my own in a night, and that is on weekends. I only ever drink one night during the week and it's usually just one bottle.
However, I am still in college so I sometimes get stupid and decide to drink one of everything I currently have available in the fridge and... later wish I hadn't.

When drinking the store bought stuff I usually cap myself around a six pack's worth and that is on a rare night in which for one reason or another I am drinking heavily. That gets me pretty sloppy, I am definitely a lightweight!

"Joechianti" post=255638 said:

I feel honored to be among what I consider to be one of the finest group of people I've met in ages.

we love you too joe :kiss:

I try to hit 5.5%-6.5% ABV in my brews so I keep my consumption to a reasonable level. Keeping my pipeline, mental awareness (buzz), and my gut (carbs/Calories) in mind, I never really drink more than 2 12oz bottles in one setting. I tested the strength of my beer only once by drinking more than that and woke up with a headache the next day. Getting too old for that but I had to do it ;)

meopolite that is something I have noticed. Store bought 6% beer seems to be a lot weaker than my 6% beer. I have had friends over after work and after 3 of my beers they always say they feel like they have had a 6 pack and need some time before they leave.

I think it's very interesting that there's such a high level of moderation and responsibility about drinking among those who brew their own. Okay, some of you can stop laughing now. I'm serious for a change.

You could easily expect home brewers to be big over-indulgers, thinking that the obsession with making it equates to the obsession with drinking it. One COULD think that. But I think they'd be wrong, from what I'm seeing here and experiencing for myself.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a slight warm glow as much as anyone, but there's just no point in getting sloppy about anything, including drinking.

Instead, there seems to be a healthy respect for the process and the product. And I happen to think that's a beautiful thing. I hate to offer up another opportunity for laughs, but I feel honored to be among what I consider to be one of the finest group of people I've met in ages.

Joe: Are you drinking again? If you are....congrats, you speak so eloquently, if you aren't, ayoff the bathwater!!! :evil:

Guest System Admin

Til now, I thought it was just me, but now that you mention it, All my homebrews (no matter how bad or how good they turned out) make me a lot more intoxicated than the store bought ones. Using the hydrometer, I calculated that most of my batches hit a higher alcohol content than MrBeer or qBrew told me to expect. But not enough higher to explain how intoxicating they are. I AM NOT COMPLAINING!
I can drink a lot, but don't drink near as much as I used to, since now I am more passionate about brewing, as opposed to just drinking. I think I now drink about 12 - 12 oz. beers per week ABV around 5 -6%

Your right on here Joe! Whenever I tell a non-brewer about my hobby they seem to immediately think I'm an alcoholic and I drink to excess constantly. I then explain that I brew 24 to 48 beers at a time once or twice a month, which give me about 1 or 2 beers a day if I drank them all myself (which I don't, I give away at least a 12 pack per month to friends that visit).

I now hardly ever buy more than a couple of bombers of beer a month just to keep up with craft beers. Before I would pick up a 12 or 24 pack almost every week and would drink 3 or more beers per session, now it's 1 or 2 beers every other day, except on brew/bottling days I might end up drinking 3 or 4.

I think what this equates to is I now have a deeper appreciation for beer and don't want to drink it just to get buzzed. It's kinda like a gormet chef doesn't eat food just to get stuffed, they appreciate the taste and the process. With that appreciation you want to savor the taste instead of just downing the beer to get drunk! I'm not a beer snob just a beer lover! :)

Never really considered it before, I guess i have a pretty high tolerance.

How much I drink at one time depends on what's going on at the time, I almost always have a few drinks after work during the week, wether it's beer, bourbon or wine depends on what I'm in the mood for.

If I'm doing yard work or gardening on a hot summer day, it wouldnt be unheard of for me to consume a 12 pack between noon & bed time.

I seem to be able to tolerate less when I'm out. I know that if I have 3 12oz glasses of strong stuff (7-11%), I am more than good. If I flirt with having a 4th I become quite drunk and wobbly, although not ill.

When I'm home I seem to be able to tolerate more. I can have 2 22oz bottles of pretty much anything (I don't think I'd want to do 2 of the Jewbilation 15s though).

Anything beyond this range and I'm flirting with not feeling too good the next day. Then again, I'm 42 now. When I was 17-30 I could drink far more. I think we're all like that though...

"Fee" post=255746 said:

I seem to be able to tolerate less when I'm out. I know that if I have 3 12oz glasses of strong stuff (7-11%), I am more than good. If I flirt with having a 4th I become quite drunk and wobbly, although not ill.

When I'm home I seem to be able to tolerate more. I can have 2 22oz bottles of pretty much anything (I don't think I'd want to do 2 of the Jewbilation 15s though).

Anything beyond this range and I'm flirting with not feeling too good the next day. Then again, I'm 42 now. When I was 17-30 I could drink far more. I think we're all like that though...

Yeah, if I drank like I did in college it'd probaly kill me now.

when I was in college, and for a while after, and I was drinking lower end beer....4%?....I literally could consume the same amount as my body would process. I could get through 2 sixpacks or more of Yeungling and almost not really feel it.

Ah, them were the days.

Interesting topic.. when I didn't like beer, in college, I could drink a 12 pack of BMC or even cheaper stuff. But then I drank to get "shit faced" so I drank more hard liquor instead because being naive, I used to think Bud really was considered the "King of Beers" so I thought I must not like beer. Eventually got the courage to try other beers and now of course I LOVE BEER! haha...

Now that I love beer, I still like a little buzz but I drink more for the taste and love of beer itself so I don't usually have a reason to drink more than 2 or 3 nice craft beers or homebrew in a sitting. Also having put so much TLC into the brews, I don't like to "waste" any by drinking it with impaired taste buds :laugh: so usually one or two.. and like some others have said I very seldom want to drink to the point of causing a bad next morning headache. Im only 30 but I know this is making me sound old ha

I've noticed I drink way less after switching to homebrews and crafts...When the only beer I drank was Miller Lite, I could easily do 6-7 22ozers and a dozen wings and be feeling Ok after a session...Now I'll do the dozen or so wings, but only get about 2-3 22 oz crafts in because I'm actually full to the point of bloated uncomfort :sick:

Usually I'll drink up to a quart of my own and 1-2 "harvest" bottles and have a nice buzz

I usually only drink on the weekend and then it will only be 3 - 12 or 16oz.
I did the party thing in the Navy in my youth. :stout:

Well, in my youth it wasn't unheard of to drink over 20 BMCs on a party night. But since getting older that number has split in half. If I'm drinking home brews or craft beer a sixer does me in fine. And I only do that on special occasions. I usually only have a couple on week nights. But I have been known to pour it on occasionally. Those are the times I feel like shit for 3 days!

"k9dude" post=255687 said:

Your right on here Joe! Whenever I tell a non-brewer about my hobby they seem to immediately think I'm an alcoholic and I drink to excess constantly. I then explain that I brew 24 to 48 beers at a time once or twice a month, which give me about 1 or 2 beers a day if I drank them all myself (which I don't, I give away at least a 12 pack per month to friends that visit).

I now hardly ever buy more than a couple of bombers of beer a month just to keep up with craft beers. Before I would pick up a 12 or 24 pack almost every week and would drink 3 or more beers per session, now it's 1 or 2 beers every other day, except on brew/bottling days I might end up drinking 3 or 4.

I think what this equates to is I now have a deeper appreciation for beer and don't want to drink it just to get buzzed. It's kinda like a gormet chef doesn't eat food just to get stuffed, they appreciate the taste and the process. With that appreciation you want to savor the taste instead of just downing the beer to get drunk! I'm not a beer snob just a beer lover! :)

My thoughts, exactly. It's easy to go buy a case of beer and slug it down to get sloshed, but when you plan a recipe, put it together, wait a couple of months for it, and finally get to drink it, you're not going to shotgun it all in one weekend. You're going to drink it thoughtfully, analytically. You're going to ask yourself if the hops is bringing what you wanted; should you use more next time? less? a different strain of hops? You're going to evaluate how that smoked grain is influencing the overall brew.

In short, you're going to be tasting it, not just drinking it.

And I think homebrewers have more respect for beer, considering what they put into it.

I slowed my drinking down to the weekends when I was "buying" beer, regardless of the brand. Now that I am brewing beer, I usually have 1 or 2 a night. Mostly 1...
That said, if I'm in a social situation, I might have have anywhere from 2 - 12 beers noon to bedtime on a weekend. Don't think I could do that with a homebrew though...

I would imagine that for most of us, it's an age thing. And that's fine, that's just the way it goes. No one is the same at 40 as we were at 20. Throw in maturity and all the other things mentioned and I'm sure most of us tolerate less but enjoy more.

I have some friends who did the opposite. They drank more at 40 than they did at 30 and 20. That's a problem and from my standpoint it looks like a problem.

The other thing I notice is that when I was younger, beer was almost a downer. As the drinking night progressed, I would become more and more subdued untilt he bed called me. And with that youth came a wonderul, deep, 8-10 hour sleep.

Now what I realize is the sugar aspect. This is why many drinkers can develop diabetes. I don't know what the measurements would be but imagine drinking 1-2 quarts of soda a day every day. Nowadays, (and I do not have diabetes), drinking a lot kind of leads to this charged up, sugared up feeling. This can often lead to a shallow, restless, sugary/speedy sleep.

Its funny when i was younger i could drink 6-8 beers with no problem but back then it was probably a Budweiser.But these days drinking craft beer or lately drinking my homebrew i have 1or 2 a night and thats not every night! I think as i get older now 50 i drink for the flavor and not so much to get loaded but nothing wrong with a little buzz!!! I also never drink and drive!!! :cheers:

Depends on how my stomach feels. Normally I will drink 1 to 6, 12oz beers. But my average is probably 2.