Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
antiwraith

Bottling with glass bottles

With plastic they say you are fully carbonated when you can squeeze the plastic bottle and it won't give any. But I want to reuse some of the glass bottles left over from beer purchases. With glass, how do you test carbonation other than time and testing one to see if it's ready? If you do open one to test and it isn't fully carbonated, can you recap it and keep going? Any tips on not busting my glass bottles? They are all 12 oz bottles. Can I reuse any glass beer bottle (with caps from mr beer)?

I have used nothing but glass bottles since I started brewing. Generally they are fully carbed in 2 weeks or so, but I generally don't open a bottle for 4 weeks after bottling.
No you really can't recap if it is not fully carbed.

You can use pretty much any pry off type bottles. Twist offs don't cap well and frequently break if you try. Brown or Amber bottles protect the beer from UV light better than green or clear. My favorites are Sam Adams. They cap easily and hold up well.

Mr Beer sells metal caps but you can get them much cheaper from a home brew store. You will need a wing capper as well. Mr Beer sells these as well.

Good luck and hope this helps

"antiwraith" post=255564 said:

With plastic they say you are fully carbonated when you can squeeze the plastic bottle and it won't give any. But I want to reuse some of the glass bottles left over from beer purchases. With glass, how do you test carbonation other than time and testing one to see if it's ready? If you do open one to test and it isn't fully carbonated, can you recap it and keep going? Any tips on not busting my glass bottles? They are all 12 oz bottles. Can I reuse any glass beer bottle (with caps from mr beer)?

The PET's are a good way to start, you are right when they are hard and firm you will/should have carbination. A little harder knowing with glass, but that comes from your expierence with the plastics. Glass bottles are very good, what I think anyway. Use pop top bottles (the ones you need an opener for) not twist tops. Get a good capper and enjoy.
Edit: recapping is not a good option.

I can't say it better than the above post, those are all the basics, and +1 on the cheaper caps. I have experimented with twist offs with success (because I liked blue bottles) But it's not really worth the risk to me.
If you carb according to qbrew and use just over 1/2 tsp per 12oz, you should be good, but if you are worried, put it in a cooler to condition for 4 weeks

I usually do 1 PET bottle and the rest 12 oz. glass. I normally can get 20 12oz if I fill the LBK to the bottom of the Q, which I frequently do. The PET serves as a tester so I can make sure it is carbing up properly. I usually drink those when I'm making a new batch.

Get a couple of 12oz plastic Coke bottles and use them as tester bottles. Our county has a recycling program and they park truck trailers all over. A quick walk-through usually nets me a couple of dozen soda bottles. I've been bottling entirely in reused (rinsed, rinsed, Oxyclean'd, rinsed, rinsed, sanitized) plastic Mountain Dew bottles and haven't had any problems with them. 20oz racks are frequently found behind Wal-mart, so you can easily store your beer, too.

Oddly enough, 20oz Sprite bottles are damned near impossible to reuse as they don't want to take a cap.

"antiwraith" post=255564 said:

That's easy, just make sure you're beer's completely fermented by getting the same hydrometer readings for 2-3 days in a row. Then use a good bottle priming calculator and bottling bucket to figure out how much priming sugar to add to a given amount of fermented beer.

Unless you're unlucky enough to have gotten an infection, which is relatively rare, your beer should be fully carbonated in 10-14 days if stored at room temperature.