Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
paratender2003

rasp lem hard cider

:sick: ok I'm new to the cider thing so be nice to me all. I used 5 cans pink lemonade concentrate and 2 lbs frozen raspberries and 2 cups white sugar. Boiled 5 min and used champagne yeast after 2 weeks in the fermented keg. Clear and tart and not sweet at all. I wanted to try n have a Mike hard lemonade but failed. What did I do wrong? Be critical. I Wang the next batch to be sweeter and taste better. It did taste gud with oj tho.

I shouldn't be too sweet after fermenting, bottle and let it condition. Ciders take a while...probably 8 weeks to condition in the bottle. Champagne yeasts are very dry, you could try some ale yeast next time too sweeten it up. And you should ferment for at least two to three weeks

edit. Ciders ferment better at slightly higher temps also.

Lemonade is tart and fermenting it makes that stand out.

I have one Lemonade I made a mistake on (My Malted Lemonade) taste like wine when we tried it in November but not sweet.

On June 4 will be 1 year in bottle and we are still sampling every 2 months to see how aging.

I will tell you I bottled 1 batch after 2 weeks and was the only time I had bottle bombs!

Leave it 3-4 weeks MIN! I always leave hard cider and lemonade 1 month before bottling now

--- edit ---

Only three ways to make it sweet:

1. Over fermentables for yeast so the end is high gravity so sugar left
2. Back sweeten with non fermentable sugar (Xylitol, Lactose, etc)
3. Back sweeten with sugar and pasturize your bottles

:cheer: ok. Haha! Was supposed. To say want. Ill try the warmer temp next time Cu's I did it at around 66 degrees. The beers I brew work great at that temp. Can I let it sit on the counter and ferment?

Yeah, there's no need to hide a lemonade from the light, it won't hurt it.

Take Trollby's advice on getting the sweeter flavor. In fact, if you have any of your first batch left, try sweetening them with some zylitol/lactose as you drink them so you can get a feel for how much of it you like in each bottle. That way, when you go to bottle your next batch, you'll know exactly how much to use.

Thank you all for the advise. I'm moving ti Idaho in 2 weeks so I will try what I learner when I get there. I like the rasp lemonade and will use lactose and ale yeast with more sugar when I get there. I will keep u all posted. Just trying to make mikes hard lemonade. But better. Also will let ferment longer than 2 weeks.

I made a lemonade-based drink for my wife which turned out a bit too tart (despite adding lactose to the mix). My wife was away when I bottled, so I added a packet of Splenda to each 12oz bottle to sweeten. She thinks it's still a bit too tart, so she's adding an additional packet of Splenda to each bottle when she opens them.

Long and short is that, if you want it to be sweet, you have to add sugars which will not ferment.