Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bgthigfist

suggestions on working with Chocolate?

I am thinking about tweaking my stout recipe to do a chocolate coffee variation after listening to the Mr Beer Adjuncts Podcast again, and I was wondering how much chocolate I should use for a Mr Beer sized batch.

First off, this is my stout base Recipe

1 can St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME
1 can Creamy Brown UME
2 cups Breiss Dark Malt Extract
3 cups Dark Brown Sugar
US-05 yeast

According to the podcast, the best way to add coffee flavor is to add a shot of espresso to each bottle at bottling time (cooled of course), so that's what I'm planning to do.

I don't have access to an LHBS, so I have to get all my ingredients either from a grocery store or from the internet.

My question was how to add the chocolate. The podcast suggested using Dutch Process cocoa, and boiling it. I just don't know how much and how long. I would plan to add it with the DME and boil it for a period of time, before adding the liquid HME/UME.

Any help would be appreciated

Are you looking for a chocolate taste or chocolate bitter (like dark chocolate)?

I can't speak to the chocolate, but it feels like three cups of dark brown sugar is excessive.

I made a few chocolate Stout and Porter

I used baking chocolate. Solid blocks. Melted in the wort at flame out. Used 3 oz by weight
I also used pure coco. NO sugar. 4 tablespoons

Drop the brown sugar. Wont get the flavor anyway.

I did a 20 min hop addition .5 oz Northen Brewer. Muntons Premier yeaat 6 gr

I added coffee to one. Used 3 single cup pods at flameout. It was quite bitter for 6 weeks conditioning i n the bottle. Then it was great.

Next coffee stout I will try the expresso coffee at batch prime.

Your recipe should be fine,less the brwon sugar.
R

I don't see an issue with the brown sugar given the amount of malt, I'm just not a big fan of adjuncts if there's another way to get the same effect. There are a variety of chocolate malts available as well as coffee malt. The flavors may not be as intense as adding coffee and chocolate, but you can still get those flavors using just grain. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Just to let yall know.

The recipe I listed is my standard stout base. I have made it monthly (with steeped oatmeal) for over a year, with slight variations, so I know that it's 'ok' and that I like it.

I was wondering how much chocolate to add. I was going to get 'dutch processed' chocolate, but I can't find it locally. The cheapest I could find it online was 20 bucks a pound, and I don't know if I will like it enough to drop that much money on an ingredient.

I bought some Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder instead.

Listening to the Adjuncts podcast (17) they suggested boiling it to get it to integrate better. What I was looking for was a suggested amount to use in a Mr Beer sized batch. Apparently adding too much will mess with the Ph balance of the wort.

My notes 3 oz per LBK, by weight. Add at flameout mix until dissolved
R

Use lactose as well.... it helps bring out the chocolate flavors. 3-4 ounces in with 10 minutes left in the boil helps a lot.

3oz cocoa powder and 1tbsp per gallon of vanilla extract will make the chocolate shine. Lactose will give you a milk cchocolate vs dark chocolate affect. If you add covoa powdet pre yeast pitch, you will not get much foam during aeration from the fat in the powder killing the foam.

Add vanilla at bottling with lactose to taste