Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jaydubwill

I've been kicked out of the kitchen!

ok, I haven't really been kicked out, at least not yet. SWMBO is "dropping hints" (i.e. complaining) about how the house smells on brew days; Crazy, I know. I'm looking into moving my operation outdoors and getting a turkey fryer or propane burner and am interested in hearing about what you guys and gals use and recommend. I've been scooping a few out on Amazon, but do I really need 250,000 BTU's of nose hair singing heat? Is 45,000 BTU's enough for a 4.5gal boil? I've seen and read about some fryers having a 15 minute timer that's a real pain in the rear. Any suggestions on a timer free one? I already have a SS brew kettle so i'm good on just buying a burner without a pot as well.

I've been happy with this one. I don't know if mine is a ten or twenty PSI regulator, or how to tell for that matter. The 20 PSI regulator gives 165,000 BTUs. From what I can tell, it's 55,000 BTUs with the 10 PSI one. In any event, it gets 10 gallons boiling pretty darn quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335640997&sr=8-2

+1 on the 55K being enough.... but if you only have to spend a few $$ more for higher BTU's, I would invest. Expecially if your winters are cold.

I like the Bayou classic sp10 you linked to, thanks!. One of the reviewers said they do 12gal boils with no problem, so my little 4.5 gallon batch should be a breeze. They also make a 20 psi regulator should I ever want to bump up to 20 gallon brews...like in my dreams when I own my own brewery.

Here's one I started using for the same reason (she even bought it for me for my birthday)

Turkey Fryer

It has the 15 minute timer, but I just keep setting it back to 15 minutes during the boil so the flame doesn't go out. The aluminum pot it comes with works great for 5-6 gallon boils.

"jaydubwill" post=256671 said:

I like the Bayou classic sp10 you linked to, thanks!. One of the reviewers said they do 12gal boils with no problem, so my little 4.5 gallon batch should be a breeze. They also make a 20 psi regulator should I ever want to bump up to 20 gallon brews...like in my dreams when I own my own brewery.

I use that one for my 5 gallon AG batches and it works great! Brought ~9 gallons of wort to a boil in about 25 minutes.

"d3EP" post=256700 said:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shopsreg;-30-Quart-Propane-Turkey-Fryer/product/10213296/59609?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I bought this one last thanks giving for around 40 dollars. after mashing i put my 20 quart pot on there, bout 5 minutes later a huge hot break. it was pretty awesome.

That's one of my reasons I'm not fighting the Wife kicking me out of the kitchen. My stove can bring 4.5 gallons to a slow boil, but I'm not getting that rolling boil needed without putting the lid on...then off...then on.

One other thought I have is maintaining mash temps. Without a MLT how do you do maintain your temps? In the kitchen I've tried both sticking the pot in a pre-warmed oven and just keeping the burner on low, both worked ok, but I don't want to carry that heavy pot all the way from the backyard to the oven. Maybe it's time to just build a MLT.

I got this one http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SQ14-Single-Outdoor/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335711387&sr=8-2 and like it alot, only thing it needs is a wind shield which I plan to add later. I do 3.5 to 4.5 biab and have no problem getting up to a boil quick, even got too much of a boil 2nd time I used it and came up short on my volume into the fermenter.

I picked up a roll of this at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13353-56291-ST16025_4294858104__?productId=1014123&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Radiant%2BBarrier_4294858104__%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I layed it against the pot and cut out a slot were the handle was. Rolled it around the pot and cut another slot at the other handle. When around about 4 times, last slot keeps it locked in place. Cut two pieces to lay across the lid and cut out for the handle.
Use this only with the heat off the pot.
Did my first 5 gallon BIAB today, after my water was at strike temperture turned off the burner and wrapped the pot. Only lost 1 deg after an hour mash. Removed wrap and continued with the boil.

That's a great idea, thanks. I've read about other people wrapping their pots in a sleeping bag, but I think this would cause me less worry.

I've just started using this one...

hg_eturkeyfryerbig.jpg

Electric, so it can be used inside and out. 7.5 gallons, so a five gallon can be done (but just barely). Added some Refletix to hold the heat, and it maintain the mash temps perfectly. I'm really happy with it...

Guest System Admin

I use the Eastman Outdoors one, I actually bought it with the purpose of frying turkey for Thanksgiving. I've been frying them now for five years, but the other day it dawned on me if I can use it for beer brewing! I don't know how many BTU's the thing is, it's a bit old.

Awesome, I'm going to have to check into this setup. My wife is pregnant and the smell of boiling hops and boiling wort makes her lose her lunch (happened each of my brew days already during the pregnancy). For the next 4 months I either need to strategically choose my brew days on those rare occasions when SWMBO is out of the house for >2 hours or "go outside" with it. The Bass Pro fryer looks awesome.

That's funny; my wife just told me yesterday that she likes the days when I brew. I always leave her kitchen so clean!

I'm surprised the smell doesn't bother her. She's really sensitive to such things (gets migranes). But I haven't heard a single complaint yet.

I'm still not sold on deep-frying turkeys, though...

the bayou classic sp10 is awesome. I usually get 5 gal of water to boil in about 10 min.

"coffee" post=257039 said:

That's funny; my wife just told me yesterday that she likes the days when I brew. I always leave her kitchen so clean!

My wife and daughter both hate the smell and stay far away whenever I'm brewing, especially with grains.

But you make a great point. One thing that redeems my brewing is the fact that I always leave the kitchen cleaner than I found it. That helps ease the situation.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how in the world they find the smell bad. I think it's very good. My wife says I only fool myself into thinking it smells good so I can endure it to reach my goal of having the beer it produces. I don't agree at all.

"Joechianti" post=257313 said:

"coffee" post=257039 said:

My wife and daughter both hate the smell and stay far away whenever I'm brewing, especially with grains.

But you make a great point. One thing that redeems my brewing is the fact that I always leave the kitchen cleaner than I found it. That helps ease the situation.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how in the world they find the smell bad. I think it's very good. My wife says I only fool myself into thinking it smells good so I can endure it to reach my goal of having the beer it produces. I don't agree at all.

+1
The way I see it, they will eventually grow to like it. My daughter used to gag when she smelled it, now she doesn't. It's growing on her and she is only 4. I call her a master brewer when she helps make the root beer and sarsaparilla. She gets so darn excited when we do the soda, not so much when I brew, she always wants to help. I love that little girl.

I've decided to go with the SP10, I appreciate everyone's input . My wife was actually sneaking a mothers day gift into my amazon cart when she saw the burner I had added a few days prior. She acted surprised when I told her I'm moving my brewing operation outside and she said it doesn't smell "that bad". Of course it was only yesterday when I told her I'm brewing this weekend and she crinkled her nose and muttered a low "oh". In the end she got the mothers day present she wanted and I got the burner, so I it worked out for the both of us. Who knows, I may even try to fry a turkey sometime.

Just wanted to give ya'll a quick update. I brewed with the SP10 about a week ago, and WOW! It beats the stove top hands down as far as getting temps up quickly and maintain a boil. The SP10 is actually too much, I never had to have the regulator cranked more than half way, and most of the time it was just a 1/4 way open. It came 95% per-assembled, all I had to do was connect the hose and regulator and I was ready to go. I did do a 15 minute "burn-in" the day before brewing, and that helped burn off some of the new painted metal smell, but It still smelled a little during brewing. The paint started peeling as well, but I don't really care about that, as I store it in my garage. If It were help outside I would apply some high-heat Rust-Oleum or something.

Bottom line, this burner is a winner. It got me to mash temp, and boiling temp quickly, and the light to moderate breeze wasn't an issue at all. It also doesn't have the 15-minute safety timer so you don't have to babysit it. That being said this thing could probably burn a house down in the about same time it brings 4 gallons of water to a boil -- that is in a jiffy -- so I wouldn't leave it unattended.

The setup
p1020797q.jpg
Paint peeling
p1020799s.jpg
Adding grains for BIAB.
p1020801s.jpg
Wrapped for the mash. Flame is out.
p1020802w.jpg
Added a lid cover after dropping 2 degrees in 30 minutes.
p1020803o.jpg
Sparging
p1020804v.jpg
Boil over! This wort kept foaming and foaming and foaming
p1020809y.jpg
Now that's a rolling boil! Missy, our 12 year old Sheperd/Colly mix approves.
p1020814.jpg