Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

using multiple yeast strains

I was curious if anyone has ever used multiple yeast strains in a batch of beer. I've read a little bit on this and it seems like something that makes sense.

Old time (pre-modern) brewers used multiple strains since they didn't know what they had, and they brewed beer. So it will work. Modern strains are made up for specific styles of beers and mixing them may provide some flavors that differ from the style you wish to brew, but it will still be beer.

Thanks but I know its possible and I know beer will be made I have google as well. I was really looking to see if anyone had actually tried it and what there results were and possibly what sorts of strains may go well together.

the past few brews ive made had a partial mixture. but they were all clean ale yeasts with similar properties. like white labs 001, used that a few times then bought Pacman, and had a bit left over from WL001 so i just went ahead and tossed that in too. I did the same thing with my Pacman and Denny's Blend. I guess depending on the speed at which the yeast reproduces, like how healthy it is, one yeast will do more work than the other so a blend might be better if you know more about the yeast. like using a cleaner yeast with a tad bit of belgian or something... i dunno, id just make sure both yeasts have the same temp range and are geared towards a style you want.

The only times I've ever done it were as 2 seperate additions. Primary with one strain with a flavor profile I wanted, and then after primary add another yeast that would attenuate further.

For my Sorachi Saison, I am going to use French Saison, which should attenuate plenty, but if it doesn't finish as dry as I'd like I'm going to add champaign yeast.

"Dustin" post=256679 said:

Thanks but I know its possible and I know beer will be made I have google as well. I was really looking to see if anyone had actually tried it and what there results were and possibly what sorts of strains may go well together.

Dustin,
I've been mixing yeasts together quite a bit. Bear in mind that I'm a novice myself, so this is merely anecdotal. You can look in the spoiler below to see what yeasts I have used together.

I mostly started combining them because the yeast provided with MB refills was not enough. Then I also started mixing them because I was concerned about the quality of the yeast provided with TBM refills.

I don't feel qualified to report on any high level characteristics, but what I can safely report is that so far all of the resulting beers have been just fine, and even pretty good. Would they have been better or worse with a single yeast or a completely different yeast? I'll never know. Probably never care, either.

I truly enjoy shaking things up just to see what happens. I say, if you enjoy experimenting, go for it. Take real good notes of what you do so you can compare results if you want to use the experiments to guide future decisions. Or not. Depends on what you want. Like they say, it's your beer.