Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
vmaxept

Stock Pot Size

Subject has been discussed ? Have not found the posts.

I want to get a dedicated wort pot. I know I want SS with AL core.

I do not plan on large full boils, no BIAB AG or partial.

I think a 8 qt pot should be large enough. I currenty use a 4 qt pot .

I am going to try a 5 gal extract recipe. Since we are Cooper Brewers, I was planning on one of the canned HME extracts and a can for LME.

I really do not want to try and split the '5gal' extract, as in half a can of each HME/LME.

My plan is heat up one gal of water to boil then pour in the LME, flameout then pour in the HME. Same way I make the MRB wort but more water.

No hop boils for the initial brew. I will use 2 LBK with one gal water in each, then pour the cooled wort into both kegs, trying for the same level in each. Should not be a problem if they are on the counter side by side.

Then top off to the top of the Q.
With 2 kegs of the same beer, I could try different yeast.

With that plan, will the 8 qt pot be good enough.?

Found a good deal on Faberware on Amazon.
R

sounds like you have a plan.

id buy a larger pot than 8qt, its good to have lots of head space. i dig my 20 qt prime pacific but i also mash in it for 2.2 gallon batches. For extract you probably only need 8qt but 12qt sounds a LOT better to me

I would get a 12Q. I know you said you arn't going to, BUT if you ever do decide to BIAB a full mash, you can do it in that pot.

That said, you can do everyting you want in an 8Q pot, and you can even do a BIAB partial mash in it (I have done it).

I have brewed in 8Q, 12Q, and 16Q pots for LBK batches. But I use 12Q and 16Q now unless I'm just brewing a Mr. Beer kit.

I have to agree with the 12 qt votes. I'm using an 8 qt alone for my 2.5 gal extract batches and combined with a 2nd smaller pot for LBK partial mash with extract. The all extract works great in 8 qts for LBK batch, but I could not see myself using it for 5 gallon extract batches. 8 quarts is 2 gallons, so if you filled it to the point of overflowing, you would be using 60% plain water and 40% "fully incorporated" wort. And I can't see filling it to the brim. I usually fill my 8 qt pot with 7 qts liquid, max, which means a 5 gallon batch would be at least 65% plain water, and probably higher.

+1 on the 12 quart. Just because you don't plan anything larger at this point doesn't mean you won't in the future.

And it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I started with a 12 qt. And it was good.

However, as I began to try 5 gallon batches... Well I needed a bit more volume to get the hop utilization I was looking for.

So, I found a pretty good deal on a 16qt. Pot, Stainless Steel, with a multi core bottom that I simply love! (Good Houskeeping brand at Walmart)

It made preparing 5 gallon batches easier and had the added bonus of letting me do full volume MR. Beer batches with plenty of headroom which reduced the chance of DME boilovers a little.

The only immediate downsides were a slightly longer temperature ramp up time, and of course, cool down time. It caused me to consider a wort chiller, which I subsequently purchased.

Now that I have both, I have no regrets. In fact, it created another positive... I now have a wort chiller to use in the turkey fryer!

I too have the Good Housekeeping 16qt pot from walmart and really like it. I just did a 5gal kit with it and it worked out pretty well. I will echo the comments that if you're going to upgrade then go for a little larger. I don't think you'll be disappointed that you did it.

I bought an 8 quart in February then ended up buying a 16 quart in March. Now I wanted to get a larger pot for some of the things you say you wont be doing.... full boil, partial mash and BIAB. When I do a Mr beer refill or recipe even with steeping grains I use the 8 quart.

However when I bought the 8 quart I didn't plan on doing some of the things I ended up doing either.

I know most advise starting with a larger pot but I am torn. I like having and using the 8quart pot. However I bought 2 pots within a month and now have to store both. Not to mention the cost and SWMBO concerns.

I guess just to play devils advocate, If you are going to be just Mr. Beer sized batches using Mr. Beer techniques, an 8 quart is fine and cost less, easier to store, etc.. If you do decide to do 5 gallon batches, BIAB, PM, etc.. later you will be able to make do with a 12 quart, but you might really want an even larger pot at that point. 4 to 5 gallon.

I ended up with both an 8 and a 16 quart and am happy I did.

I bought the 8 and 16 quart SS pots from amazon.

When doing 5 gallon extract batches I never did a boil smaller than 2.5 gallons due to hop utilization concerns.

All good recommendations here, I would go no less than the 16qt pot. I just brewed the Nong Irish Red yesterday which uses 3 pounds of DME. I used a turkey frier pot which was actually bigger than 16qts, and I'm glad I did. The hot break that took place with 2.75 gallons of water and 3 lbs DME was incredible.

Long story short, don't forget to leave room in the pot for all that foam before it breaks!!!

"MonkeyMan" post=256726 said:

I use one of these; granite wear... I only use plastic utensils and I'm careful not to chip it. It works great and is a very affordable brew pot.

I used an almost identical one to this when I started brewing in the 80's. Used it for almost a decade before I got rid of it.
Now, for my Mr. Beer/extract/partial mash brews I use a 12 qt but I did by a 9 gallon for my BIAB brews and wouldn't trade it for anything. I simply can't brew anything bigger than 5-6 gallons in my home.....though nice size, it's just not set up for that.
Get as nice of one as you can afford. If you plan on brewing for awhile, it will pay for itself quickly.

Thanks to the Borg for all the recommendations.

I was going with the 8 Qt because of price and I ' do not' plan on other brew methods. However as many suggested, where will I be next year with this?

I want to brew some of the Cooper 5 gal recipes. I do not have to worry about hop boils with their cans of LME/HME. I will not use the recommended 'Cooper Booster NR1 or Nr2" . I plan on all extract. The 8 qt should work fine for that.

I really have not paid much attention to the MRB recipes with the hop boils to the water to DME/LME ratios. To obtain the correct hop utilization. I have been using 1/2 gal water with the DME/LME without concern for that issue.

I will take the advice of the Borg and get the 12 qt.
 If I get into steeping grains, the 4 qt pot should work OK for the steep.

I have been looking at the Northern Brewers extract recipes. All 5 gal and many with steeping grains. Like how difficult is it to make 'tea'. ?

I was holding off buying this until I got the advice.
Thanks
R