Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
steveabrous

ready for allgrain but no money to invest

Ok. my wheat turned out good. I know i tried it early buts its good. I realy want to do allgran but have no money to invest. I have a 20 gallon cooler. I saw one method that heated 3 gallons on the stove to 170 then put it with the grains in the cooler and scooped it into a mesh strainer to gather the wort 2 1/2 gallons then add a gallon somewhat like extract has anyone tried this. or have any suggestions

Since you already have a cooler, it wouldn't cost that much to convert it to a mash tun. If you do a Google search, you'll find plenty of instructions online for constructing your own. Even if you say you have no money to invest, you can save your spare change for a couple of weeks or so and probably have enough to do it. I bought a five-gallon cooler, and even so, my tun only cost about 35 dollars to put together.

Or you could look into BIAB. I think it would be very difficult to do a five-gallon batch this way, but it's an option.

To get into all grain with BIAB technique all you need is a 5 gallon paint strainer (2 for $5 at Lowes). I also bought a 20 qt brew pot, and hav e quite successfully done all grain for a year with just that equipment.

steveabrous,

Are you talking about doing LBK size all grain batches or 5 gallon all grain batches?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

docpd,

With that 20 qt brew pot, have you been doing LBK size batches or 5 gallon batches? I'm guessing LBK size? Just the pot and paint strainer bag: I like the sound of that.

"Joechianti" post=257223 said:

steveabrous,

Are you talking about doing LBK size all grain batches or 5 gallon all grain batches?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

docpd,

With that 20 qt brew pot, have you been doing LBK size batches or 5 gallon batches? I'm guessing LBK size? Just the pot and paint strainer bag: I like the sound of that.

That's all it takes! I've been doing LBK size batches that way since July of last year. It's a cheap way to get into all grain.

About all I do in the summer is small, LBK size batches. I ask my LHBS to set me up for 2.5 gallon batches or create some myself and it's worked very well.
However, it takes almost as long to do as a 5 gallon batch.....I only save about 30 minutes vs. a 5 gallon batch.
You'd be surprised how much money you can save going AG. In a short while, you can save enough to invest in more equipment.

+1 to BIAB. I spent a grand total of about 50 bucks for a 24 qt pot (I could have cut that cost a lot by going smaller and aluminum). With that, I can do 2.5 gallon batches of almost any gravity I would really want. I've been able to do up to 1.085-1.090 all grain, with full volume boils. You'll need an accurate thermometer, hydrometer and paint strainer bag too.

I wouldn't recommend mashing a 2.5 Gallon sized Recipe in a 20 Gallon cooler. That's gigantic. You won't hold any heat in that.

+1 to all the BIAB suggestions. If your pot is big enough, all you need is a nylon paint strainer bag.

Biab is great and inexpensive. I bought a 16qt alminum pot on sale at Macy's for $13 and did many LBK batches and 1 5gal with it. Yes a 5gal. But i now got a 8gal aluminum pot for $24 and do ful vol 5gal BIAB (have done 2 and both successfully)

This method is for me. The wife can lift the grain bag for me (just did a 9.3lb grain bill with no issue) Until I can afford the brew stand with pumps to transfer liquid with no lifting.

i do five gallon biab with a 5 gallon boil pot.
and large sparge water pots.
i end up with about 4.75 gallons in boil pot - its outside.
boil for 60mim, after cooling i have about 4 gallons of wort.
split between two LBKs...

this may not be correct, but until i find a 10 gallon pot this will do.
i use to do 2.5 gallon batches, but like previously stated not much diff to do the 5 gallon.

five gallons for about $17.
with washed yeast.

"FedoraDave" post=257146 said:

Since you already have a cooler, it wouldn't cost that much to convert it to a mash tun. If you do a Google search, you'll find plenty of instructions online for constructing your own. Even if you say you have no money to invest, you can save your spare change for a couple of weeks or so and probably have enough to do it. I bought a five-gallon cooler, and even so, my tun only cost about 35 dollars to put together.

Or you could look into BIAB. I think it would be very difficult to do a five-gallon batch this way, but it's an option.

I used a "new" spigot from Mr. Beer in my cooler and it fit perfect. I plane to use a paint strainer bag in it and that's it. Total cost was around $5 since I already have the cooler.
photo1-1-15.jpg

I'll throw my lot in with +1 for BIAB. I use a 5 gallon kettle and can do some relatively high gravity LBK sized batches. I have a 9 gallon kettle for the really high gravity LBK and all 5 gallon batches. Pretty damn simple way of going AG. I am starting to a small 10 minute batch sparge, and once I fixed my thermometer issues, my efficiency has gone up nicely.

I plan in June to do my first 5 gallon BIAB split between 2 LBKs

Looking at either a Munich SMaSH or Pale Ale SMaSH

I will be using my Turkey fryer since it looks perfect (35 quarts) and has the spigot for draining

turkeyfryer.jpg

"Trollby" post=257336 said:

I plan in June to do my first 5 gallon BIAB split between 2 LBKs

Looking at either a Munich SMaSH or Pale Ale SMaSH

I will be using my Turkey fryer since it looks perfect (35 quarts) and has the spigot for draining

turkeyfryer.jpg

I just did the exact same thing with a Mexican Amber lager clone. I have 5 gallon buckets, but they don't fit in my cooler, so I split it between 2 of my LBK's. On bottling day I just combined the 2 LBK into my 5 gallon bottling bucket and bottled away.