Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

super fast final gravity

I did an all grain Kolsch and within 6 days the gravity went from OG: 1.044 to a FG of 1.010. It has only been 8 days now in primary. I understand letting it sit will clear it up and I also understand the yeast will still clean up after themselves by leaving it longer but my question is since I've reached FG so quickly surely I do no need to leave it in their for 3 weeks total right?

Would another week do just to let the yeast clean up or would letting it sit for 3 weeks total still be good? Would there be any benefit into putting it in lager temps? I have a temp controlled fridge I can keep at 45 degrees. I've heard of people doing this to Kolsch batches.

Any ideas.

I reached FG super fast and just felt 2 weeks sitting in primary after FG has been reached is just a little much.

3 weeks definitely won't be too much. FWIW, my method is roughly to take the amount of time it took for krausen to fall, and then leave it in the primary for at least that long again to clear up for normal OG beers. For a 6 day fermentation at 1.044 I'd probably plan to bottle around 14 days.

I agree there's no need to wait for 3 weeks if you hit terminal gravity after 6 days. But, with the one kolsch that I've brewed (still conditioning as a matter of fact), I found the yeast to be very powdery and some extra time in the keg, especially at lager temps, will help the yeast flocculate and clear up.

I hit terminal gravity in about a week as well, left it for another week then bottled. I left them at room temp for 2 weeks to carb and they are now chilling in the fridge for 3 weeks before I test one.

Thanks that is what I was thinking. I will give it one more week which will be 14 days in primary and I will bottle. 3 weeks just seemed to be too long for such a fast fermentation.

Thanks again

I never leave my beer in the fermenter longer than 2 weeks unless it is a really high gravity beer.