Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ba1980

American Devil IPA Question

First let me say, I'm still trying to figure out what I like. The only beer I really like (in my short list of tryings) is Fat Tire.

How does the American Devil IPA compare to Sierra Nevada Torpedo? The last time I placed an order with Mr. B, I got the ADIPA but haven't brewed it yet.

A few weeks ago I was in Texas and found the Sierra Nevada Torpedo. All I can say is at least I got free bottles and know not to get it again. I'm hoping the ADIPA doesn't taste like it.

I personally prefer the SN Pale Ale over the Torpedo but I do like the Torpedo. If you haven't tried the SN Pale Ale, give er a try. IMO, the ADIPA by itself is not that hoppy - not even as hoppy as the SN Pale Ale. With the right amount and combination of added hops, though, you can get it on the same level as those Sierra Nevada brews (if that's what you're aiming for). But by the sound of your post, you don't want to go that far. If you appreciate any type of hoppy beer, you can probably find something you like with the ADIPA. Try brewing the 2 cans of ADIPA HME straight up to see where you want to go from there. My favorite home brews thus far are ADIPA base.

I have in my mind for some unknown reason that I like more malty beers, but wanted to try a hoppy beer when I got the ADIPA. But then I found the torpedo and started to worry that I wasn't going to like the AD.

Picking up the SN Pale Ale isn't really an option as you can't find it in small town Oklahoma.

"ba1980" post=257456 said:

First let me say, I'm still trying to figure out what I like. The only beer I really like (in my short list of tryings) is Fat Tire.

How does the American Devil IPA compare to Sierra Nevada Torpedo? The last time I placed an order with Mr. B, I got the ADIPA but haven't brewed it yet.

A few weeks ago I was in Texas and found the Sierra Nevada Torpedo. All I can say is at least I got free bottles and know not to get it again. I'm hoping the ADIPA doesn't taste like it.

Your multiple questions are a little hard to answer, but here goes:
I've never had the real fat tire (not available in my area) but have made a clone and it's good and I like it, but it's nothing like a IPA. Never tried the SN Torpedo, but have drank alot of the SN PA, MB IPA straight up might be a little like it, but not quite the same but in the ballpark.

Torpedo is not an IPA on the milder side of the fence. ADIPA is pretty mellow compared to it. So you might like it better, although it's still "hoppy" more then "malty".

I brewed the ADIPA yesterday and was wondering if I should dry hop it after fermentation to add to the aroma? If yes, what hops? I have Saaz, Cascade, Hallertau, and a couple others I can't recall at this moment.

"Birdman925" post=257510 said:

I brewed the ADIPA yesterday and was wondering if I should dry hop it after fermentation to add to the aroma? If yes, what hops? I have Saaz, Cascade, Hallertau, and a couple others I can't recall at this moment.

I would use Cascade myself.

ADIPA was the first Mr Beer refill that actually impressed me.

Try it straight up before you tinker with it.

"DesreveR" post=257511 said:

I would use Cascade myself.

+1

I LOVE Torpedo, it's great and super hoppy.
I just brewed a batch of ADIPA, it's not even in the same ballpark.
The ADIPA is a good session beer IMAO, though some may say it's too heavy for that.

If it is your first attempt at brewing ADIPA, my suggestion would be to do it as is, otherwise, +1 to Cascade. IMHO, IPA's benefit from the "C" hops.

I tend to look at the numbers when comparing beers:

Fat Tire: 18.5 IBU
SN Pale Ale: 37.0 IBU
Mr. B ADIPA: 58.0 IBU
SN Torpedo: 65.0 IBU

As you can see the range is all over the place. If Fat Tire is what your going for, I don't think ADIPA is comparable. But, it doesn't sound like the flavor profile is as bitter as the numbers suggest? As far as hops are concerned Fat Tire has Willamette, Goldings, and Target listed on their website.

To further complicate things, IBUs are a good place to start, but they don't tell the whole story. Hops and malt tend to balance each other out, and so the more malt a brew has, the less "impact" hops will have.

For example, I recently got a sixer of O'Fallon 5 day IPA, and it is a bit too malty for my tastes, even though it is listed at 66 IBUs.

I've often laughed at SN's IBU numbers. They almost have to be in the 50's in my opinion.

Sorry everyone, I wasn't asking if Fat Tire is like ADIPA. I was just saying that is the only beer that I have liked since I started drinking stuff besides BMC.

I've never had any IPA's before which is why I got the ADIPA. Mainly just to see if it was something I would like. Then while on vacation I found the SN Torpedo and didn't like it and was hoping that the ADIPA would not taste like the SN.

"Beer-lord" post=257613 said:

I've often laughed at SN's IBU numbers. They almost have to be in the 50's in my opinion.

I think that's because you've pushed your taste buds to the limits! :woohoo: Seriously though I agree with what you and Abqu are saying regarding the malts and hop balance. I finally got an opportunity to try Dogfish Head 90 minute and I found it nicely balanced. Tons of flavor though. What I'm suggesting is that it can be helpful to use the numbers to help dial in the bitterness level you like. For example for my daily drinker I enjoy beers in the 20-40 IBU range.

It might also be the kind of hops you don't like. I enjoy hops that are piney and confronting. I like SN Torpedo if I'm forced to buy a 6pak at the supermarket. It's a good beer to just have on hand. It is not my favorite IPA, not because of the hops, it's just not very complex. But hops can be mild, earthy, citrusy, piney.....it might be the kinds of hops that just don't work for you.

"ba1980" post=257616 said:

I found the SN Torpedo and didn't like it and was hoping that the ADIPA would not taste like the SN.

ADIPA wont be as much of an affront to your senses as Torpedo was, but it is probably a little hoppier than SN Pale Ale. It will be interesting to see how you react to it. I thought it was a little light on the hops for my tastes.

Don't let this one experience taint your experience and view on "hoppy" beers forever. They can be an acquired taste, and you may (will likely, IMHO) find that your palate evolves as you grow as a brewer and learn more about beer and taste all the world of craft and home brew has to offer. Give it a try in 6 months or a year and you will likely have an entirely different opinion on it.

Jumping right into Torpedo from BMC was likely too much too fast. That's like learning how to drive and then getting behind the wheel of a Maserati.

:gulp: