Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
d3EP

Local Forecast - Too Hot to Brew

The cool weather has let up, a week of warmth is upon us. My hop plant will be happy of course. One thing to remember is to move my beer storage to the basement where it can stay cool. Its these in between times, when its too early for the air conditioner, I have to sit back and just enjoy my stock pile of home brews. Another time, another temp, I shall brew again. Until then I will ration my 2 cases, 2 mini kegs, and numerous California brewed IPA's (purchased on vacation).

I had to laugh when I read 'too early for the air conditioning' as we've had ours on for weeks though not like it will be very soon.
This is the reason I only do 2.5 gallon batches as I can keep it down in the low 60's. Or, do a 5 gallon batch into 2 LBK's. Still, moving frozen ice packs twice a day gets tiring but, we must have beer.

I wish I could find a 5 gallon, rectangular fermenter that would fit in my big ice chest. That would solve some of my problems but boiling a 5 gallon batch for 60-90 minutes adds lots of heat to the kitchen.

Luckily I inherited an old upright freezer that I installed a Johnson controller on, now I can brew year-round. + it has room for 6 lbks for when I move up to 5 gallon batches this fall.

"pete rose haircut" post=257725 said:

Luckily I inherited an old upright freezer that I installed a Johnson controller on, now I can brew year-round. + it has room for 6 lbks for when I move up to 5 gallon batches this fall.

My place is under construction, once the next/extra room is finished I will be buying a fridge or freezer. I am considering a regular fridge as well. That way I could make lots of ice cubes in the top for brew day wort chilling and the bottom I can convert into a kegerator

I know how ya feel. We are hitting about 85-90 now with nights in the mid 60's which isn't warm enough for the window unit yet. I'm holding off until we hit the upper 90's - 100's so I can get the window unit in my bedroom and keep the temps around 65.

Beer-Lord... I'm in Mid Florida and my BLW of 29 years still won't let me turn on the A/C .. Just ice bottles in the 96 QT cooler. :pound: :pound: