Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
fsuinnc

Raspberry ferments in 1 week Blueberry 2 Why?

Love the Mr Beer Raspberry I made. It uses the Canadian High country ale, a can of Raspberries and half a cup of honey. Instructions said ferment for at least 1 week. Started a batch of Blueberry last week. Same High country ale but uses a can of Blueberries and a whole cup of honey and says to ferment for a minimum of 2 weeks. It's not really a big deal but I am wondering why the blueberry takes an extra week?

The blueberries have skins and the raspberries do not. The yeasties have to work harder for thier sugar from the blueberries. :party: Sounds reasonable, it is due to the ease of processing the sugars.

First, welcome.

I haven't made those recipes, but I ferment everything for two weeks.

Both of those recipes seem high in adjuncts to me, so I'd let them condition for quite a while.

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=257821 said:

1 week ferment will get you bottle bombs
2 weeks ferment might get you bottle bombs

Go for at least 3 weeks on this.

You won't necessarily get bottle bombs if you ferment for a week. Depending on the yeast used, temperature, etc, you may reach final gravity after 3-4 days in some circumstances. I'm not advocating fermenting for only 3-4 days (or even only a week), but fermenting for a week doesn't guarantee bottle bombs.

I only ferment longer than two weeks if life gets in the way or if I have a stuck fermentation and I have never had a bottle bomb.

"bpgreen" post=257773 said:

First, welcome.

I haven't made those recipes, but I ferment everything for two weeks.

Both of those recipes seem high in adjuncts to me, so I'd let them condition for quite a while.

I have

Go three weeks

The Raspberry I think I fermented for 9 or 10 days. Bottled in 12 oz glass bottles and drank the first couple after 1 week. no bottle bombs and I have to say it was fantastic. Very crisp and light fruit aroma and flavor. A week or so later I happen to see Abita's Purple Haze on tap at a pizza joint I was in and I have to say it was remarkably similar to what I made. Thanks to everyone for the advice, I will bottle the blueberry carefully and store them in a container just in case.