Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
teutonic terror

I think Pilothouse Pilsner is now my favorite beer

I had my first Pilothouse Pilsner yesterday that had the proper amount of conditioning and it was amazing! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Fedora Dave, you told me a few weeks back it was a big hit now I see why! :charlie:
I'm not a hop head by any means but this brew has tremendous flavor!
I talked the wife into trying one and she wasn't very impressed. More for me, LOL!
The pipeline is starting to fill in and I have only two Coors Lights left. Perfect timing and they served their purpose!
I think I've scored 6 oz. of Nelson Sauvin hops and I'm gonna try to make an extract recipe from scratch with some of them!
Any suggestions?
Also, I plan on vacuum sealing and freezing the remainder, is there a specific time period they will keep?

What do you consider the proper amount of conditioning for this brew? I kegged my first Pilothouse batch on 4/20. Did you drink yours at 4 weeks, or 6 weeks, or longer? I was going to give it 3 weeks in my kitchen then stick it in the Keezer for a week.

Alb, I kegged it on March 13, bottled it on April 13 and tried the first one on April 26.
It still had a small bitter after taste. Not like the booster after taste, just a "I'm not done yet" taste.
So, that would make it 4 weeks in the LBK, 2 1/2 in the bottle in the dark, and myself, I think it's very drinkable now. I've got 10 in the fridge right now and they have been in there about three days, the rest are still in the dark, so I'm sure they will improve even more!
[attachment=7902]SDC12307.JPG[/attachment]

That's just what I have done, I'm sure others will say wait longer, but I'm satisfied with the product as it is right now! :cheers:
Good luck with yours, and enjoy! Let me know what you think of it!

Pilothouse is my favorite Mr. B refill, gotta get me some of those hops, going to my LHBS this Saturday,hope they have some. Anyone got a good extract or partial mash recipe for a nice Nelson sauvin pale ale, not real bitter, but one that lets the hops really shine?

This was one of the first brews I did after the standard WCPA.

I had one early and it was quite good, but I did detect that bitterness teutonic terror mentioned.

I stashed the rest away in my "beer attic" to condition.

But now that I'm seeing all the enjoyment everyone's having with this one I'm going to have to move a few into the fridge to see how they've aged. :)

I keg'd my first PP on 18 Apr, will try it on 30 May. Really looking forward to tasting it, the wort was purty good.

I'll have to wait until I get home and check my email for where I scored the hops. I'll post the link the website then!
Thanks for the recipe link Alb!

I just brewed this up on wednesday. I did a small hop boil with 0.75 pound of briess sparkling amber dme. I used hallertau hops. 0.5 ounce for 25 minutes and the other 0.5 ounce for 10 minutes. I added the 2 cans of pilothouse pilsner and used s-23 yeast. I want to give it 3 weeks in lbk but work schedule looks like it will limit that to 18 days. I think its going to be a great brew.

the Pilothouse was ok. A little to floral tasting for me though. I felt like I was drinking flower petals.