Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
livewirecs

OH NO! I doubles the sugar!

I wasn't thinking and accidentally doubled my sugar for 12oz glass bottles adding 2 scoops of the 3/4 sugar. Should I expect bottle. On a or is it possible to survive? I did 8 of them before it occurred to me. Ugh.

I'd put those bottles in a container or garbage bag when conditioning. You may end up with bombs! And if not when you open them they may gush up with extra foam. Good Luck!

i would probably put them in the fridge after a fews days. The colder temp will slow down the yeast.

I'm not sure what I'd do. Those will be way over carbonated and prone to bursting. If they were PET, you could monitor hem and vent periodically, but since they're glass, that's not an portion. I'd give then a couple days and stick them in the fridge. They may be under carbonated if you put them in too soon, but they won't burst. With the extra sugar, they may over carbonate even in a few days, so take care when you own them.

uh..... BOOOOM! Place in a container to control the explosive beer. If they don't blow, they will be of soda quality carbination, careful when opened.

Yeah I have them in a cooler now, I'm thinking maybe I should just dump them and spare the glass bottle. I'm so bummed I did that.

On another note I really need to update my signature to reflect my current beers.

"livewirecs" post=258042 said:

Yeah I have them in a cooler now, I'm thinking maybe I should just dump them and spare the glass bottle. I'm so bummed I did that.

If it was me, I'd get a little creative. Before I dumped the beer out, I'd see if i could pour it out of the bottles and leave most of the sugar behind in the bottle. Then I'd rinse out the bottles and do it again. I'd assume that a little bit of the sugar made its way into the beer, but I'd probably put about half a teaspoon in each one now. And then I'd put them in the cooler just for insurance, but I'd be feeling mighty confident about that time.

• Like 1

"Joechianti" post=258048 said:

"livewirecs" post=258042 said:

If it was me, I'd get a little creative. Before I dumped the beer out, I'd see if i could pour it out of the bottles and leave most of the sugar behind in the bottle. Then I'd rinse out the bottles and do it again. I'd assume that a little bit of the sugar made its way into the beer, but I'd probably put about half a teaspoon in each one now. And then I'd put them in the cooler just for insurance, but I'd be feeling mighty confident about that time.

I age about not dumping, but I'm not sure hire well your approach would work. The problem is that I can't think of a way to pour out the bee and leave the sugar behind. The sugar is already dissolved, so it'll poor with the beer.

And pouring it out and back in will almost definitely introduce air.

Why isn't monitoring an option - you can open one and then re-cap it...

So, if it was carbing for say 3 days, then crack one open. If it seems to have somewhat normal carb, then re-cap it. And then pop the caps on all the rest, and re-cap them. You just wasted money on caps, but you still still have beer.. You let out some of the pressure, and the remaining sugar will then carb them back up, but hopefully not to bottle bomb territory.

You could pop another one open again later and repeat if needed.

It would be somewhat experimental, but you should be able to make it work.

???

If you have any PET or pop bottles around, Id try to carefully pour the beer in those. Then you can monitor the carbonation more easily and vent the caps as needed.

"mashani" post=258062 said:

Why isn't monitoring an option - you can open one and then re-cap it...

So, if it was carbing for say 3 days, then crack one open. If it seems to have somewhat normal carb, then re-cap it. And then pop the caps on all the rest, and re-cap them. You just wasted money on caps, but you still still have beer.. You let out some of the pressure, and the remaining sugar will then carb them back up, but hopefully not to bottle bomb territory.

You could pop another one open again later and repeat if needed.

It would be somewhat experimental, but you should be able to make it work.

???

I think your idea may well work. It's certainly worth a shot.

No need to worry or take unnecessary and experimental measures. Simply peel back the caps just barely enough to let out pressure, let the sugar ferment completely (I'd say you were safe at around a week), then re-prime. Your biggest potential problem might come from boogies getting in, but that is why you don't open the cap any more than is necessary to vent. The fermentation pressure should keep the beer clean--same principle as the vents on the LBK.

"oly" post=258131 said:

No need to worry or take unnecessary and experimental measures. Simply peel back the caps just barely enough to let out pressure, let the sugar ferment completely (I'd say you were safe at around a week), then re-prime. Your biggest potential problem might come from boogies getting in, but that is why you don't open the cap any more than is necessary to vent. The fermentation pressure should keep the beer clean--same principle as the vents on the LBK.

I like this idea better than any of the others so far.

Thanks for all the advice but I dumped them last night. (sigh) I just can't believe I did that and then did it 8 times lol. Ugh.

I'm not sure if beer foaming would be a problem when adding the sugar though. Maybe if it was added slowly...

edit: whoops, looks like a moot point now.

Is it possible to just barely open a cap enough to let a little hiss out and then leave it alone, or is the bottle now officially "opened"? Taking off the caps and recapping sounds like an easy, low cost way to save these (yeah I know you dumped them!). Even "dumped" I mean.....they could be used for cooking (Chili?) or something.

What if one opened the cap just enough to let the CO2 out and then re-cap it with the capper and the same cap?

"Fee" post=258157 said:

Is it possible to just barely open a cap enough to let a little hiss out and then leave it alone, or is the bottle now officially "opened"? Taking off the caps and recapping sounds like an easy, low cost way to save these (yeah I know you dumped them!). Even "dumped" I mean.....they could be used for cooking (Chili?) or something.

What if one opened the cap just enough to let the CO2 out and then re-cap it with the capper and the same cap?

Don't try to reuse the cap. It's bent and not likely to seal well. Bottle caps only cost a couple of pennies apiece. That's not someplace I'd try to scrimp and save.

I wouldn't try to reuse the same cap for cost savings, but to avoid having to take the entire cap off and replace it, risking contamination. Either way, it looks like the fish are enjoying this one!

"Fee" post=258176 said:

I wouldn't try to reuse the same cap for cost savings, but to avoid having to take the entire cap off and replace it, risking contamination. Either way, it looks like the fish are enjoying this one!

I don't think the reason for doing it makes a lot of difference. The problem of getting the cap to reseal remains.

"bpgreen" post=258184 said:

"Fee" post=258176 said:

I don't think the reason for doing it makes a lot of difference. The problem of getting the cap to reseal remains.

Moot at this point I guess, but when I suggested popping the cap and re-capping, I of course meant to use a new cap. I'd never re-use a bent cap. The CO2 that blows out the top when you pop the cap should prevent contamination as long as you put a fresh sanatized cap back on right away.

"mashani" post=258203 said:

"bpgreen" post=258184 said:

"Fee" post=258176 said:

Moot at this point I guess, but when I suggested popping the cap and re-capping, I of course meant to use a new cap. I'd never re-use a bent cap. The CO2 that blows out the top when you pop the cap should prevent contamination as long as you put a fresh sanatized cap back on right away.

It's moot for the OP, but I think it's still a good idea to make sure our ducks are in a row in case somebody else finds this thread after making the same mistake.

"livewirecs" post=258148 said:

Thanks for all the advice but I dumped them last night. (sigh) I just can't believe I did that and then did it 8 times lol. Ugh.

OH THE HUMANITY!!! :pound: :shoot: