Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coffee

Using Carb Tabs

Stopped off at my lhbs (Midwest Supplies, in case you're interested) and got a capper and some caps on the way home from work tonight. I'm taking the plunge and bottling tomorrow in harvested bottles (Moosehead, in case you're interested).

I wanted things to be easy and consistent, so I also got some carb tabs (Brewer's Best, again ICYI). It seems like this will make bottling easier.

But my question is this: In the Mr. Beer standard instructions, where you carb with sugar, it says to invert the bottle several times to mix the sugar into the beer. Do I need to do that with the carb tabs?

I did a search on carb tabs and didn't find an answer to this question, so I figured I'd ask. (Some of us need more detailed info than others; that or a whack upside the head with a 2 x 4...)

"coffee" post=258320 said:

But my question is this: In the Mr. Beer standard instructions, where you carb with sugar, it says to invert the bottle several times to mix the sugar into the beer. Do I need to do that with the carb tabs?

From a veteran of one successful batch of WCPA, I'm certainly no expert, but I used Domino Dots (sugar cubes) and they worked great. No bottle shake or inversion needed. From info I read on this forum, the yeast will go to where the sugar is and take care of business.

Technically, you don't even need to do the inversion thing with regular sugar. Definitely not required with tabs.