Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZeeBeer

Cherry bock

So I wanted to brew a lager for my next batch and my wife really wants some kind of cherry beer.

I put together the following recipe but any suggestions would help as I have not done a lager or used these grains before.

Partial mash three gallon boil down to MrBeer sized batch.

2.5# Munich (US)
1.5# Vienna (US)
2# Light DME
0.5# Belgian Candi Sugar, Amber (20 min)
1# sour cherries
Galena hops - bittering
Mt Hood hops - aroma
Yeast - German bock lager

I was thinking of boiling 1 cup of water with 1 can of cherry fruit and adding it to the secondary after 2-3 weeks of primary fermentation. I have a fridge that I have converted for keeping my LBK in so I do not need to worry about temperatures.

Do not boil cherries - this will set the pectin and cause haze in your finished beer. If you're using fresh cherries, you can freeze or pasteurize (heat to 160F and hold for 10 minutes) to sanitize, with canned you don't need to sanitize.

I wanted to use fresh cherries. If I froze them a day or so prior to brewing and then pull them out on brew day to thaw would that work? Also I was thinking of washing them in sanitized (boiled) water and placing in hops sacs, crushing slightly and then putting them in the wort at flameout and then into the fermentor would I get the cherry flavor I am looking for? :cheers: