Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjkatona

Florida Brewing

What is the most inexpensive way to keep a lower reg temp for us Florida first time brewers?

I use an aluminum roaster from the dollar store, put some water in it and drape a towel over the fermenter with the ends dipping in the water. I'm not sure that would work for you, though, since your humidity is probably quite a bit higher than mine.

Some people use a cooler, fill bottles with water and freeze them, and swap them out as they thaw.

I use a cooler and frozen water bottles or ice packs. I live in Texas and so far this has worked for me. I can keep the temp at about 66-68F with this method.

"Meho20" post=259367 said:

I use a cooler and frozen water bottles or ice packs. I live in Texas and so far this has worked for me. I can keep the temp at about 66-68F with this method.

+1, I live in SWFL and use this for my ales. I can keep temps as low as 60-62. If you want to do lagers that's another story (I have a refrigerator for that).

Cheers!

"KZ" post=259381 said:

"Meho20" post=259367 said:

+1, I live in SWFL and use this for my ales. I can keep temps as low as 60-62. If you want to do lagers that's another story (I have a refrigerator for that).

Cheers!

+2. Southern California. Cooler and frozen water bottles works like a champ.

mini dorm room style fridge, $60 bucks on craigs list,,,might even get a better deal right now with school just letting out.

Thanks to all. I choose the patio, which has one screened in side facing the yard and the other 3 walls is the house. I started the fermentation on Wend 5-6-2012 in a standard Coleman cooler, rotating 12oz frozen bottles of water every 8-10 hours. I have the MR. Beer Yeast-o-meter which is happily on the CHECK and a fish aquarium thermometer laying on the lid of the LBK which reads ~75-78. It's around 94 in Tampa today and the cooler is chillin at 80 on the lid and check on the YEAST-O-Meter.

Once again, thanks to all! :chug: