Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joechianti

A Hops Theory Needing Feedback

Okay. My LHBS sells hops dust for 69 cents an ounce versus $1.99 an ounce for all the rest. It is supposedly the accumulated powder left behind from all the other pellets they package. It is supposedly 7% acidity.

My theory is that if I use this generic hops dust only for the bitterness boil and then use the more specific hops for the flavor and aroma, I'm in like Flynn. Since all flavor and aroma is lost by the time you get the bitterness out of the hops, I figure I am losing nothing at all this way. On top of that, the acidity level on this dust is actually higher than most of the levels in the flavor and aroma hops I prefer.

What is the verdict on this theory?

meh. the bittering qualities vary amongst hop varieties. some more smoother than others. on the other hand, i've never used the dust, so i really can't speak from experience in that regard.

I agree with your theory. I know what genotype is saying but I always go for a subtle bitterness and have never been able to tell the difference between one bittering hop and another. I typically bitter wit 2.5 AA units for 60 minutes and 2.5 AA units for 45 minutes. That's in a 1.050ish beer. I adjust accordingly for higher or lower estimated gravities.

"Gymrat" post=260096 said:

I agree with your theory. I know what genotype is saying but I always go for a subtle bitterness and have never been able to tell the difference between one bittering hop and another. I typically bitter wit 2.5 AA units for 60 minutes and 2.5 AA units for 45 minutes. That's in a 1.050ish beer. I adjust accordingly for higher or lower estimated gravities.

So you figure that's a safe bet to use that for bittering. Thanks. Just out of curiosity, which direction do you adjust in for the higher or lower gravity beers? I'm guessing you use more hops for the higher gravity ones to maintain the balance? Or is it the opposite, as in the lower gravity ones are more desirable being 'hoppier'.

You need more bittering to counter more sweetness. This is where BrewTarget is helpful.

I can't find any hole in your logic. Does your LHBS ship? Do they have a web store?

"jivex5k" post=260107 said:

I like to sprinkle hop dust in my coffee.

I prefer it on top of ice cream.

"Joechianti" post=260116 said:

Try some unhopped malt extract, it's very tasty on ice cream.

Just ordered some so I can use something a little cheaper than cocaine for my cocaine habit.

"mashani" post=260124 said:

"Joechianti" post=260116 said:

Try some unhopped malt extract, it's very tasty on ice cream.

For joking or for real? I believe it. It smells good enough.

"T8r Salad" post=260127 said:

Just ordered some so I can use something a little cheaper than cocaine for my cocaine habit.

Actually, I was gonn hit you with that idea when you stop in person at Austin Homebrew. Without unnecessary shipping cost, it's a great deal. Wanted to make sure it was a good idea before I pitched it to you.

Guest System Admin

I would try a pale ale with the dust, small 2.5 gallon batch to try.

I mean some light malt and water with some fromunda, worst case you get ok beer, best case you love it and was cheap

"Joechianti" post=260130 said:

"T8r Salad" post=260127 said:

Actually, I was gonn hit you with that idea when you stop in person at Austin Homebrew. Without unnecessary shipping cost, it's a great deal. Wanted to make sure it was a good idea before I pitched it to you.

Let me know Brother Brewer JoeC...I will gladly pick it up on Tuesday for you like i told them for mine. Just let them know I, T8r, will be picking up whatever quantity you order.

Mmm. I can see it now. A salt shaker full of hop dust sitting on the kitchen table. Mashed potatoes and corn on the cob will never be the same! SWMBO is gonna love this!

Only 1.30 per oz savings is not enough for me. Hop dust is free at the brewery. So is yeast, & grain when your in a pinch. Visit & support your local breweries. They always share. :cheers:
In my homebrew club everybody grows their own hops so I'm like a kid in the candy store.
Bottom line, for
[attachment=7956]40487_2012-05-11.jpg[/attachment]
best results use the freshest ingredients possible.
Brew on beer brothers. :party:

"Beerlabelman" post=260175 said:

Hop dust is free at the brewery. So is yeast, & grain when your in a pinch. Visit & support your local breweries. They always share. :cheers:

Is that something that is common to ALL breweries? Or just the lucky few? Hops, yeast and grain for free? That sounds too good to be true, but if it is true, I'd sure like to try it.

As a side, with the cost of gas nowadays and the spread out nature of things around here, every time I pull out of the driveway it costs me $5, so nothing is free anymore. I have to plan every trip out of the house so I get what I need from as few stops as possible. The LHBS is on my path to work, but I have no clue where the local breweries are at. I've heard of a few out in the countryside. I'll have to look into that. What you suggest intrigues me.

You never want to use more than 3 or 4 hop varieties in any single beer or you'll end up with a murky hopping that really doesn't let anyone shine through. Knowing if the hop dust came from a single hop variety or if it came from every hop sold in the store is good information to have. If they're from a lot of different hop varieties then use them for bittering, but use known varieties for flavor and aroma.

I bought some hop tablets online made from who knows what types oh hops, but I've had them a year now and haven't used them yet.

"Screwy Brewer" post=260227 said:

You never want to use more than 3 or 4 hop varieties in any single beer or you'll end up with a murky hopping that really doesn't let anyone shine through. Knowing if the hop dust came from a single hop variety or if it came from every hop sold in the store is good information to have. If they're from a lot of different hop varieties then use them for bittering, but use known varieties for flavor and aroma.

I bought some hop tablets online made from who knows what types oh hops, but I've had them a year now and haven't used them yet.

Screwy,
I totally agree with you there. I had been using the generic dust for all three of my hop boil ranges and then I realized the error of my ways and came up with the idea that using it for bittering only made more sense. Now I do that and use known strains for flavor and aroma.
Since Swenocha mentioned that Willamette Hops Farm, I might end up using known strains for all 3 levels of hop boil, and still see about the same savings with even better results.

As a realativly new brewer, I would not venture into something using so many different hops, I'm still learning about the aroma, bittering and flavoring aspect. That said, the Latatude 48 by Sam Adams was pretty good to me. I thought they had either 4 or 5 hops. Some of the single hop Latatude 48's that came in the 12 pack were good on their own.

"mtsoxfan" post=260309 said:

As a realativly new brewer, I would not venture into something using so many different hops, I'm still learning about the aroma, bittering and flavoring aspect. That said, the Latatude 48 by Sam Adams was pretty good to me. I thought they had either 4 or 5 hops. Some of the single hop Latatude 48's that came in the 12 pack were good on their own.

Good point. Actually, when I use the generic hops dust for bittering and specific strains for flavor and aroma, I've been using the same variety for those last two purposes. That's not to say that I won't ever use two or even three different hops in one brew. But up until now, I've only used one for all 3 purposes or the dust for bittering and one other for flavor and aroma.

I realize that the generic hops dust may or may not have multiple varieties in one package, but because I'm boiling the flavor and aroma right out of it, I figure it's not a significant concern. That may or may not be true.

That would be the difficult part of using them for bittering. But I thought in his original post Joe said it was estimated around 7%

That's right. The package says approx. 7%, which seems about in the middle range to me.

Now that I think about the SA lat 48, I did prefer the single hop versions better, like the Zeus and one that started with an A. While the combination was a good blend, I felt the singles had a clearer flavor, much to Screwy's point.