Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spence

The other beer kit

This is Spence again asking another TBM question, I brewed up a pilsner and did a 3-2-2 . Yesturday me and some guys open one to see how it would taste, it was real hoppy, not much on real hoppy beers, so my question what do I do to bring the hop taste down a little to blend. I have six more bags of this. The color is perfect, can anybody help with this ,thanks again for any advice.

Assuming you used nothing other than what came with the refill kit (a bag of hopped DME and a packet of yeast), then you might could add say a half to a full pound of pale DME or LME. That would help lessen the impact of the hops, relative to the overall balance. I'd add another packet of yeast, myself while I was at it. Don't know how much you filled the LBK, but if you didn't already, you could also go all the way to the top of the Q, or even a little higher. That would also spread the hops out a little thinner in addition to the extra malt. That's one idea. Probably more to come from others, so hang on.

A pilsner should be a somewhat hoppy ale/beer. You probably would be better of brewing a maltier style if you don't like hops. Most stouts are malty. Joe was right in suggesting adding more UME to it to get a more balanced ale.

"TimeTraveler" post=260801 said:

A pilsner should be a somewhat hoppy ale/beer. You probably would be better of brewing a maltier style if you don't like hops. Most stouts are malty. Joe was right in suggesting adding more UME to it to get a more balanced ale.

I can sympathize with this dilemma, since I am a much bigger fan of malt than of hops. You're right that a pilsner should be hoppy, but now that he has pilsner refills that he doesn't care for, what's to stop him from giving them a "makeover" and "de-pilsnerizing" them a bit? Got nothing to lose.

Spence here, thanks for the tips,just may try a half or whole lb. of the ume next time ,thanks again spence.