Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trollby

Mr. Beer Mexican Cerveza (Very big, lots of Pics)

Recommended Posts

Mexican Cerveza
---------------
Brewer: Trollby
Style: Blonde Ale
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.032 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 13 IBU
Recipe Color: 5° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.008
Alcohol by Volume: 3.1%
Alcohol by Weight: 2.4%

Ingredients
-----------
MrC-B. Mexican Cerveza 1.87 lb, Extract, Extract

MrC-B. Mexican Cerveza 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Coopers Ale 1.00 unit, Yeast, 5g, 68-76*F

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
1. Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the can of hopped malt extract (HME), then place the unopened can in hot tap water.

2. Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart pot.

3. Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat. Pour the HME into the hot water and stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.

4. Fill keg with cold tap water to the 4-quart mark on the back.

5. Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Mix well with the spoon.

6. Sprinkle the yeast packet into the keg, then stir vigorously and screw the lid onto the keg.11

7. Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 68°and 76° F and out of direct sunlight. (Ferment for 7-14 days)

OG = 1.032 @ 70*F

The Can:
dsci2540b.jpg
Nice big code on the bottom
dsci2536t.jpg
Instructions on the can
dsci2544.jpg

The Yeast (notice it is now 5g, Mr. beer listen to requests about more yeast):
dsci2543.jpg

Label removed(not very easy):
mexicancerveza5.jpg

Measuring out 1/2 the one-step:
dsci2560.jpg

Sanitize everything:
dsci2562i.jpg

Can top to deep for can opener:
dsci2569.jpg

Cleaning out can with boiling water:
dsci2563.jpg

Mix in LBK well:
dsci2565.jpg

Hydrometer Sample (1.032 @ 70*F):
dsci2567.jpg
Taste of the sample was VERY light flavors, sems like a light beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--- Edit ---

The new kit was extremely easy to do, only wish the amount of malt was more so higher OG (around 1.038)

As stated in other post the kit took me 1/2 hour total time to make (20 min brew and 10 min cleanup) can not beat 30 min for making beer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You said the can top is too deep for the opener. How did you open it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"bpgreen" post=261479 said:

You said the can top is too deep for the opener. How did you open it?

Open from the bottom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Trollby" post=261481 said:

"bpgreen" post=261479 said:

You said the can top is too deep for the opener. How did you open it?

Open from the bottom


Of course. That should have been obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"bpgreen" post=261485 said:

"Trollby" post=261481 said:

"bpgreen" post=261479 said:

You said the can top is too deep for the opener. How did you open it?

Open from the bottom


Of course. That should have been obvious.

Well he could have used an icepick or an axe or something LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"mashani" post=261520 said:


Well he could have used an icepick or an axe or something LOL.

Well that would just be nuts. Anyone knows a chainsaw is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An OG of 1.032 seems very low to me.

Is that what the projected OG is supposed to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"FedoraDave" post=261530 said:

An OG of 1.032 seems very low to me.

Is that what the projected OG is supposed to be?

Dave~

No, it's right. The can suggests a 3.7% ABV on a 2 gallon batch. At 2.13 gallons (maybe 2.2 depending on the exact level of the water)...that number is very close to right on.

The ppg is 40 (give or take a fraction).

At 2 gallons, this is 3.6% ABV...so those numbers make sense. If you measure right around 2.2 gallons, it comes to 3.3% (1.033 OG) which would match the number that Trollby achieved.

==========

In looking at this, this should satisfy everyone's questions/concerns about creaitvity. 1 Can of Mexican Cerveza...from here you can add 1 Lb of DME or really any other addition you can come up with and end up with a very nice 4.8-to-5.0 beer and be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trollby~

The question I have is the IBUs...where did you get that number?? My cans did not list an IBU and I'm curious how you figured that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"Christ872" post=261534 said:

Trollby~

The question I have is the IBUs...where did you get that number?? My cans did not list an IBU and I'm curious how you figured that?

I did some research and then took the 5 gallon IBU I found for the Coopers Mexican Cerveza HME and divided it to the 2.13 we use.

It is only a guess at this point but I posted what I got in qBrew and that is what it worked out too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"FedoraDave" post=261530 said:

An OG of 1.032 seems very low to me.

Is that what the projected OG is supposed to be?

The instructions are sort-of confusing since it states 2 gallons but tells you to fill to the 8.5 quart line on the LBK.

I followed the directions 100% and filled it ONLY to the line and stirred the crap out of it and took my OG sample.

Like I said it was VERY light tasting.

If you add the old kit (1.21 HME and .813 Booster) you got just over 2# of brewing ingredients. I believe the 1.87# can is not enough, really the can should be 2# to be 3.7% with 8.5 quarts (2.13gallons)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't make beer for high alcohol content but so far, they all seem very, very low though I'm sure Mr. Beer's mixes were posted higher than they really were.
While I doubt they'll make a change now, I'm hopeful they will. I guess you'll have to double every kit to make a decent batch of beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, not many of us here are going to be happy with a 3.7% ABV beer that seems light on flavor, but I'm honestly a bit relieved!

If the can were bigger, we would lose some of the versatility that we currently have.

Having the smaller can allows us to make additions and get a bit creative while still, I'm assuming, making the basic refills affordable.

I'm a happy guy and can't wait to see all the different recipes in the pipeline and start experimenting with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"manosteel9423" post=261565 said:

Obviously, not many of us here are going to be happy with a 3.7% ABV beer that seems light on flavor, but I'm honestly a bit relieved!

If the can were bigger, we would lose some of the versatility that we currently have.

Having the smaller can allows us to make additions and get a bit creative while still, I'm assuming, making the basic refills affordable.

I'm a happy guy and can't wait to see all the different recipes in the pipeline and start experimenting with them.

Like I said if they upped it to 2# it would be equal to the old HME+Booster as far as ingredients.

My Idea would be to get rid of the 3/8 lip on the top and make that more malt. It would be closer to the 3.7% in the original recipe without having to add extra.

But really is a moot point until I taste the finished Product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trollby...I'm curious about something else and would like your thoughts as an experienced brewer, if you don't mind.

Obviously, you haven't been able to try one of these brews yet, so I'll understand if you feel you can't answer this question, but do you think these HMEs will have the same capacity for additions as the old HMEs?

I always went by the rule that the beer would stay balanced as long as you didn't use more than one can of UME (or 1# of DME) in addition to the HME. In your opinion, would this beer maintain that balance with an addition of more malt, or would it require further hop additions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"manosteel9423" post=261589 said:

Trollby...I'm curious about something else and would like your thoughts as an experienced brewer, if you don't mind.

Obviously, you haven't been able to try one of these brews yet, so I'll understand if you feel you can't answer this question, but do you think these HMEs will have the same capacity for additions as the old HMEs?

I always went by the rule that the beer would stay balanced as long as you didn't use more than one can of UME (or 1# of DME) in addition to the HME. In your opinion, would this beer maintain that balance with an addition of more malt, or would it require further hop additions?

Manosteel~

To answer a couple of those questions:

Yes, you'll still have room for additions...but obviously it's proportional.
The old HME = 1LB 3 oz ----- vs -------- The new HME = 1Lb 13oz
You're going from a 2.0% ABV to about a 3.3% give or take a couple points. So, if you wanted to add 1 Lb of DME or LME...you have that room to do so without making a Barleywine.

In regard to your other question...it appears that you're talking about the hops (IBUs). Again, it's proportional. Whether or not you can add 1Lb of DME and still manage to have a balanced beer without a whole nother hop addition to balance it will really depend on the real numbers on the IBUs. If the IBUs are, in fact, only 13..you couldn't breath on it and keep it balanced.

***The caveat here is that - IT APPEARS -- we will need a more firm number on the IBUs. Trollby was guess at 13 for the Mexican Cerveza. 13 IBUs on a 1.036 OG is about .33 on the BU:GU scale. And that's if you just do it straight. Since most people will want to add (1Lb of DME for example) then...if Trollby's number is right, 13 IBUs on a 1.057 OG would be VERY VERY low. In fact, that scenario presents a

1 can new Mr B/Coopers HME in 2 gallons = 1.036 OG
1 Lb DME = 1.021 OG
BU:GU = 13/57 = 0.22

In this scenario...you're talking about a very very malt heavy beer.

BUT!!! again, until we taste these...who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's exactly what I was thinking, Christ, thanks for the response.

It should be interesting to see some actual numbers on these extract kits so that we can start playing with them! I'll also be interested to see what kind of recipes they come up with to utilize these new HMEs.

In the past, they've had over 100 available recipes, it should be interesting to see what they come up with in that regard as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

I think the 3% for the normal Mr. beer size batch (not far to say do only 2 gallons when the instruction states fill to the 8.5 quart line) leaves it the perfect amount for 1# DME or 1.25# LME.

Infact since the HME is more the hops in the HME will carry more into the 1# than the old one did, I feel from the taste of the Wheat it would make it VERY tasty and would bring this Corona clone up to a better Mexican beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see your point, Trollby, but weren't the old, smaller cans, designed to acomodate an adjunct or additional malt whereas these ones are designed to be self-contained?

To me, the hop profile of the smaller can was designed to combine with more malt or adjunct and remain balanced. This HME seems to be designed to be self sufficient, so I have to wonder if it would maintain balance when adding DME or LME.

Just my thoughts as I give this more consideration...I'm probably way off base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"Trollby" post=261580 said:

"manosteel9423" post=261565 said:

My Idea would be to get rid of the 3/8 lip on the top and make that more malt.

I think the purpose of the 3/8" lip is storage space for the 5g of yeast. Take that space away and there's no place to stash the DownUnda Fromunda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"manosteel9423" post=261613 said:

I can see your point, Trollby, but weren't the old, smaller cans, designed to acomodate an adjunct or additional malt whereas these ones are designed to be self-contained?

To me, the hop profile of the smaller can was designed to combine with more malt or adjunct and remain balanced. This HME seems to be designed to be self sufficient, so I have to wonder if it would maintain balance when adding DME or LME.

Just my thoughts as I give this more consideration...I'm probably way off base.

Manosteel~

I've looked into your point and - like I said earlier - some of these beer would be fine as is...but a few of them are severly under-hopped if you intend on doing anything more.

The Classic American Light

By itself, it is supposed to be 3.6% ABV (give or take)...But even then it only has 11 IBU. Without even breaking out the handy dandy calculator that's less than 0.33 on the BU:GU ratio. That's already leaning toward malty heavy. If you were to add 1 Lb of ANYTHING...you're going to need a hop boil or else you might as well drink sugar or honey straight.

On the otherhand, the American Porter is also supposed to be somewhere around a 3.6% ABV...but it has a 41 IBU. The St. patrick's Irish Stout has 50 IBUs Now THAT is hoppy by itself...so the addition of 1Lb of malt would bring this one in nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Christ. When they went live with the new malts I checked that out myself. The Cervesa is similar to the Light at 13 IBUs, which is a bit disappointing, because I think it would make a great beer with a pound of light DME. It will probably require a solid 45-60 minute hop boil at this point if you want anything other than the basic recipe.

I agree that the stout and the porter could certainly stand some adjuncts or extra malt, and the 20 recipes they have listed bare that out.

I suppose that I will just have to bite the bullet and try these new recipes for the sake of educating myself on their basic characteristics. Its a burden, but one that I will bare graciously! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

The Mexican Cerveza is GOING NUTS!

The Krausen is over half way to the lid and the wort is really active.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see your brews are going good. I'll be brewing this weekend. I was really surprised to see the price on these babies. IMHO, it's too high for what we're getting.:ohmy: I really think these have to be in the $12.95 range or less. :barman: You'll still need 2 cans to make a serious brew
I believe a 2.2 gal batch at 5% ABV should not cost more than $20.00.
These mixes will need at least a pound of DME + additional hops to be considered great homebrew.
On the plus side, it will still be good for new brewers. :cheers:
If you are using just 1 can, you're going to need a hell of a label to make it right. :cheer: Check back with you guys later. I have to go boil some brats in beer. :chow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things I wonder is whether these new extracts are going to be mixed and incorporated into the Advanced Recipes, the same way the HMEs and UMEs were.

It's all well and good to have a Mexican Cerveza HME, or an American Ale HME, but part of the fun, for me, was looking through the Advanced Recipes and deciding if Rose's Rambling Red or Otto's Octoberfest sounded interesting, or if I'd prefer the Angry Ox Ale or the Bombay Bliss IPA.

Part of Mr. Beer's success with its users was the versatility and variations that could be achieved using nothing more than Mr. Beer extracts. I'd hate to see that go by the wayside. In fact, I'd probably stop using the Homebrew Club altogether, and go with my own LME and AG recipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"FedoraDave" post=262236 said:

One of the things I wonder is whether these new extracts are going to be mixed and incorporated into the Advanced Recipes, the same way the HMEs and UMEs were.

It's all well and good to have a Mexican Cerveza HME, or an American Ale HME, but part of the fun, for me, was looking through the Advanced Recipes and deciding if Rose's Rambling Red or Otto's Octoberfest sounded interesting, or if I'd prefer the Angry Ox Ale or the Bombay Bliss IPA.

Part of Mr. Beer's success with its users was the versatility and variations that could be achieved using nothing more than Mr. Beer extracts. I'd hate to see that go by the wayside. In fact, I'd probably stop using the Homebrew Club altogether, and go with my own LME and AG recipes.

They already have. New recipes with new price tags are already up. The old recipes seem to be out of stock too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reply to my good friend Dave - You are right on target. You know where I'm coming from. I'm brewing these beers tomorrow. I'll have the Grateful Dead, Neil Young playing in the background as I brew, hoping to make a decent mellow brew.
But, at the same time I'm planning my next brew. An All Out, Over The Top IPA called "Chaotic Insecure Delusional IPA" This will be my masterpiece. :think:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"VanceFox" post=262239 said:

"FedoraDave" post=262236 said:

One of the things I wonder is whether these new extracts are going to be mixed and incorporated into the Advanced Recipes, the same way the HMEs and UMEs were.

It's all well and good to have a Mexican Cerveza HME, or an American Ale HME, but part of the fun, for me, was looking through the Advanced Recipes and deciding if Rose's Rambling Red or Otto's Octoberfest sounded interesting, or if I'd prefer the Angry Ox Ale or the Bombay Bliss IPA.

Part of Mr. Beer's success with its users was the versatility and variations that could be achieved using nothing more than Mr. Beer extracts. I'd hate to see that go by the wayside. In fact, I'd probably stop using the Homebrew Club altogether, and go with my own LME and AG recipes.

They already have. New recipes with new price tags are already up. The old recipes seem to be out of stock too.

Yes, I see. Unfortunately, the prices are quite a bit higher than the Mr. Beer Advanced Recipes. High enough for me to say "Bye-bye Homebrew Club". I guess I'll be formulating LBK recipes on my own, using extracts and hops from my LHBS.

Mr. Beer shot itself in the foot on this one, I'm afraid.... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"FedoraDave" post=262300 said:

Unfortunately, the prices are quite a bit higher than the Mr. Beer Advanced Recipes. High enough for me to say "Bye-bye Homebrew Club". I guess I'll be formulating LBK recipes on my own, using extracts and hops from my LHBS.

Mr. Beer shot itself in the foot on this one, I'm afraid.... :(

I hear you Dave, the new Mr. Beer seems like Cooper's Idea to double charge for the samethings they currently sell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Trollby" post=262321 said:

"FedoraDave" post=262300 said:

Unfortunately, the prices are quite a bit higher than the Mr. Beer Advanced Recipes. High enough for me to say "Bye-bye Homebrew Club". I guess I'll be formulating LBK recipes on my own, using extracts and hops from my LHBS.

Mr. Beer shot itself in the foot on this one, I'm afraid.... :(

I hear you Dave, the new Mr. Beer seems like Cooper's Idea to double charge for the samethings they currently sell

If they arn't going to lower the price of those standard cans, then they really need a new line of smaller HMEs to mix in with those standards to build recipies with. You don't *need* 2 1.8# cans of mix to build many recipes. The recipies are priced stupidly because they are built on 2 cans of stupidly priced extract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have another 5 cans of old MB hme standards and 2 premium sets that I got through my bargain hunting. After they're done, I'll be making my own through the lhbs or morebeer.com or dmemart.com or... well you get the idea. Coopers/MB is going to lose more money then they're going to make with these new higher prices.

When I went to the recipes I laughed. ~$45 for a case of "premium" brew. That's about $2 a bottle. Ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

June 10, 2012

FG = 1.010 @ 72*F
ABV = 2.9%

Bottled with 49g table sugar for about 2.4 CO2

Taste was super light, like a Corona light , not overly impressed.

I will hold final judgement when I drink the final product but it tased like I took a warm Corona and poured it over ICE to chill it.

Was very thin, funny thing was the hydro sample was slightly darker than the Bavarian Weissbier

dsci2587i.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

06/26/2012

First pour:
mexicanzy.jpg

Very thin, taste was Okay, but added wedge of lime and was a lot better.
Little head, Lawn-mower beer C+ for rate, not sure if I would buy the refill with-out adding more malt for the $$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Trollby" post=270958 said:

06/26/2012

First pour:
mexicanzy.jpg

Very thin, taste was Okay, but added wedge of lime and was a lot better.
Little head, Lawn-mower beer C+ for rate, not sure if I would buy the refill with-out adding more malt for the $$$

Hmmm. My Canadian Blonde and American Ale will be 2-4'd on the fourth of July ... but, I may chill some down this weekend and try them 2-3'd, screw it they ain't heavy, shouldn't need much conditioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...