Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SteveT

A little extra kick from Classic American Blond

I'm going to mix up a kit of Classic American Blonde Ale w/Pale Export. this weekend. Can I get a little extra boost on the alcohol if I add a bit of sugar or honey?I don't have anything else at this time although I could run down to the local supply if needed.
Thanks
SteveT

"SteveT" post=261645 said:

I'm going to mix up a kit of Classic American Blonde Ale w/Pale Export. this weekend. Can I get a little extra boost on the alcohol if I add a bit of sugar or honey?I don't have anything else at this time although I could run down to the local supply if needed.
Thanks
SteveT

Can you? Yes.

Should you? That's a completely different question.

If you add sugar or honey, you'll increase the alcohol level, but it will thin the beer and give it a cidery taste that can take a long time to condition out. If you keep the amount of alcohol from simple sugars low enough in comparison with the amount from malt, you'll be better off.

My preference is to brew for flavor and let the alcohol land where it lands.

"SteveT" post=261645 said:

Thanks
SteveT

Depending on how much sugar/honey you use you should be fine.

You might want to check out the Malt to Adjunct thread for more detail.

"make sure that at least 2/3 of your fermentable sugars come from malt extract and no more than 1/3 comes from adjuncts. For example, if you brew a beer that should have 6% ABV, make sure at least 4% of that alcohol comes from malt (in other words, you'll need two cans of extract). If you're brewing a stronger beer, your ratio should be even higher, something like 4 to 1 malt to sugar. Booster is a special blend of sugars that ferments quite cleanly, but it should be used like any other adjunct, and counted as one."

If by "kit" you mean the HME plus booster, than I would strongly recommend against also adding honey or sugar since the booster itself is mostly fermentable sugars.

If you have an LHBS nearby, just go get some light DME, about a 1/2 pound to a pound would be good if added to the HME and booster. You'll be thankful for a much better beer in a few weeks for the slightly higher cost.

Personally, I avoid using extra adjuncts unless the recipe I'm using calls for it.

I like the beer I make to be ready earlier, and the extra sugars increase the time from brew day to first pour.

When you say Classic American Blonde with Pale Export, I'm assuming you mean you are adding a can of Mr B Pale Export UME. If you're using the original kit with 1 can CABA and booster and also adding 1 can Pale Export, then you should have a pretty nice beer right there. Why would you want to boost it any more than that? You have a nice balance already. However, if you are determined to add more alcohol to that brew, if you add more adjuncts, I suppose you won't have to add more hops, but if you add more malt, you might want to add more hops. The malt route is the richer, loftier route. The adjunct route is not out of the question, though. This is very much a personal choice. Personally, I take the 2:1 minimum malt to adjunct rule as just that, a MINIMUM. I like my malt.

Thanks to everyone on the replies. I have the 2 can delux refil and after reading this and the Malt to Adjunct thread I've decide to brew as is and get my extra jolt of alcohol from a shot or two from my bottle of Gentleman Jack.
Thanks again

Whether or not you want to add more adjunct is completely up to you. Just keep in mind that even if you don't get a cider taste, your beer will probably take longer to condition into a smoother flavor. Unless you're looking for a specific flavor like honey or rum (from brown sugar), I would just stick to malt.