Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
oly

Hey Dave, I've got a grill question

Hoping you can help me here FD. I just bought a barrel grill with an offset smoker at a garage sale. Until now, I've always used Weber grills (have 3) and a cheap Brinkmann smoker. Trying to light my coals the usual way, with a propane torch, didn't work too well because of the small enclosed space in the offset part; no oxygen available to keep a good burn, and I burned the paint off the outside. :pinch: Using lighter fluid resulted in my losing all the hair on my hand and arm from the explosion when I light it with the normal foot long lighter (might be missing some eyebrow too for that matter). :whistle: What's the normal way to fire up these things? It didn't come with a manual. :think:

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Can you use a chimney starter to ignite the coals then transfer them in? (without see the actual grill, hard to picture the opening you have to work with) :)

Good luck!

I suppose, if I had a chimney starter, but the offset box for smoking is too small to put on in anyway.

And it seems to be burning the paint all by itself. I may not even be able to use this thing it stinks so bad.

we have one like that that we use for smoking meat. I installed a small burner in the smoker side for my wife. she throws soaked wood chunks in the smoker end and smokes meat that way. we have only used it this way! :chug:

I have a Barrel smoker with off-set box, love it.

dsci1148ww4.jpg
Originally came with a front basket, I wanted a wood try, so upgraded it :)

dsci1149lb8.jpg

What I did was made a sling across the side fire box and put a grate on it. Ths way I can pull the ash tray out and empty and not mess with the coals and wood.

I also use a Stainless steel basket and do the minion method smoking. I can yet upto 4 hours smoking without touching athing, the add more coals andboom 4 more hours

--- edit ---

Shown here with the rotisserie

Please notice the basket on the bottom, that is used for the coals in the fire box if i am not using al wood logs

To answer your other questions.....

Side fire boxs burn paint off, do not worry about it.

What you do is season the grill, and everything is fine.

After every smoke I wipe the fire box outside with light coat of oil while still hot, turns it black and never rusts

--- edit ---

When using an off-set smoker ALWAYS keep the barrel stack 100% open and adjust the air in to maintain temps
Second NEVER use starter fluid :sick:

You will need to get a chimmney starter,weber makes a great one, if you buy a cheap one you will regret it

Guest System Admin

I have done many mods to mine and use it even when 5*F and snowing
dsci1544.jpg

I can help off forum with more pictures and pointers if you wan, just PM me

I've got a smoker similar to yours and have been using it for 15+ years.

To start the coals in the fire box, I make a mound out of charcoal. I then squirt a goodly amount of fluid on the coals and let it soak for around 5-10 minutes. Then I light the coals at multiple location and leave the firebox lid open for a while to get the coals going.

When I first apply the fluid to the coals, I also grab the wood to use for smoking and put it in a bucket with water for soaking. When the coals are ready for cooking, the wood is also about ready for smoking. I apply the wood to the coals and let it start doing its thing, and then put my chickens (or whatever) on.

Man - I'm getting hungry.

Note: A friend of mine also uses a chimney starter and loves it. I don't and have being using fluid starters for simplicity. As long as I leave the firebox open and let the coals get "good" before I start smoking, I don't have any problems.

Thanks for the tips guys. The paint smell burned away after a while and I put the chops on. Got my fingers crossed.

I think Toby's advice is the best. Get a good chimney starter (and Webers can't be beat, IMO), and use that to get the charcoal going. Never use lighter fluid; it can impart a petroleum odor to the food. You don't even need newspaper in the bottom of the chimney; you can pour the charcoal in, then tear off strips from the bag to use as the fuel underneath. No waste, and when you're done with the bag of charcoal, you're truly done with the bag of charcoal.

Also, putting a coat of oil on the exterior while it's still warm is excellent. I just kept a can of Crisco handy, and wiped it on with some paper towels. Keeps it in great condition.

Toby, that Char-Griller with the side fire box is the same pit I had up until this year. It's a good pit, and if it wasn't too big for my needs, I'd have gotten another one. I opted for the Akorn Kamado vertical smoker. It's only for smoking, since I have a gas grill for the quickie stuff like burgers, chicken, and steaks.

Dave, you're a man after my own heart. I do the same thing with the charcoal bag, using it to start up the fire. I never realized how much alike we are, even though my wife swears that looking at our pictures, she can barely tell us apart. She says she's just glad she lucked upon the one with the better smile.
:chug:

P.S. - I totally agree with you again, on those Weber grills. They are truly good. I never owned one, but a very close friend did, and I used it a whole lot. Truly good.

I currently also have basically the same one as Trollby, and I'm totally loving it, too.

I have to amend my recommendation on using the paper towels to apply the Crisco to the exterior after every use. I actually used a 5" paintbrush. It worked great.

I have had a smoker like the ones pictured here and have used a chimney for starting the charcoal for years without any problems :cheers:

I usually put about half to a full load of lump charcoal in the offset smoker unlit and then get a load going in the chimney. Once the chimney is going strong I dump it in and slowly start lowering the airflow to get the temp right. This usually gets everything to temp in about 15min from the start.

Looking through my pictures I thought I had a few pictures of the fire box mod I did, only found picture of the "minion method smoking"

NOTE the straps under the grate holding the basket up on each side (used the bolts you see on outside to hold)
NEVER use Galvinized metal = Poison
dsci1253.jpg

Thanks again for all the great advice. I did have some temperature maintenance issues, but that's just a matter of getting used to the new grill. One of my problems with the Brinkmann vertical was getting it hot enough, and the coal ash always clogs the bottom air vents. With this grill, I was able to get the heat up (eventually had to throw in a stick of apple from my woodpile to get the heat back up after lowering it earlier). Only complaint was the meat dried out a bit, which doesn't happen wth the vertical smoker since you put a pan full of liquid in it to keep it moist. I'll be doing the same thing with this one in the future.

I googled the Minion method too, and found that using hardwood lump charcoal instead of briquettes creates less ash and burns hotter, so I'll be trying that as well next time I use either smoker. One thing is for certain: I'll never run out of available cooking space if I have a party with the three Weber's, the Brinkmann and this one (the brand is BBQ Pro; seems like a bit of a cheapy, but it it works...).

I have always kept a pan of liquid in the bottom of the smoker to keep my meat moist works like a charm :cheers:

"Rayyankee" post=262365 said:

I have always kept a pan of liquid in the bottom of the smoker to keep my meat moist works like a charm :cheers:

+1, Absolutely!