Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mzweier

Beer Still Cloudy.

It has been about 16 days now since I started to ferment my beer and it still comes out very cloudy when I test to see if it is ready to bottle. It is the American Devil IPA. I was very careful to keep it out of sunlight and at the correct tempature, However there was one day that it became colder than it should have been. Is my beer going to be ok and how can I fix this. Thank you for your help!

mzweier~

First of all...the directions do suggest that when the beer tastes flat AND is clear it should be ready to bottle. But - with all due respect to the folks who wrote the directions, the cloudiness is a non-issue.

Focus on whether your sample tastes flat. 16 days in the fermenter should be about right. I have gone toward a full 21 days (3 weeks) but in most cases 14+ days SHOULD be good.

See if you have a layer of trub on the bottom of the LBK. If you have trub and a flat-tasting beer...proceed with bottling. Doesn't matter if it's cloudy or not.

=========

For future reference, there are additives (Irish Moss, Clarity-Ferm, Whirlfloc) which can aid in clarity in the final product. Also, cold-crashing (for maybe 2 or 3 days) will also help. Not everybody does it...so your beer may come out clear in the end even with none of this...but those are some available options.

t's tough to predict yu'll have a cloudy product 4-6 weeks from now. But don't worry about the cloudiness of the pre-bottling sample.

Throw the lbk in the fridge for 2-3 days, and at an angle to keep the trub away from the spigot. I went to lowes and bought a package of door shims. One door shim gives the lbk just enough of an angle. I tapes 3 together so that the shim would span the whole width of the lbk's bottom.

That will pull some, if not most or all, of the cloudiness out.

Thank you so for your help. I tested the beer the other day and it seemed a little off and then today when I tested it the beer was still very cloudy but seems to taste alot more like flat beer than before. I will give it another few days and try again before I proceed with the bottles.

"mzweier" post=262500 said:

Thank you so for your help. I tested the beer the other day and it seemed a little off and then today when I tested it the beer was still very cloudy but seems to taste alot more like flat beer than before. I will give it another few days and try again before I proceed with the bottles.

Note that the first shot out of the spigot can be cloudy due to trub that settles near the spigot. I prop the front of the fermenter up and still sometimes get some trub in that first shot.

Clear the spigot first, then take a shot and see if it it looks any better.

"bpgreen" post=262515 said:

Note that the first shot out of the spigot can be cloudy due to trub that settles near the spigot. I prop the front of the fermenter up and still sometimes get some trub in that first shot.

Clear the spigot first, then take a shot and see if it it looks any better.

It slipped my mind that the trub would be there too. I just put a small book under the front of the LBK. I'll give it some time before I take another shot from it.