Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SmokingTony

Cooper's 3.75 kits

Anyone tried the Dark Ale or IPA? I have only tried the Wheat kit and I was impressed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ahead.

-Tony

I haven't tried any of the Cooper's recipes so far it's been Mr. Beer, Northern Brewer and all grain for me. How'd it come out?

Didn't jump on it after all, I figured it wouldn't be good for drinking until December since its pretty much summer until then in south texas.

Speaking of Coopers 3.75 lb kits, I recently posted that my LHBS had their supply discontinued by the vendor but were trying to find a new source. Just went by there today and spoke to someone working there who said that it was Coopers who decided they would no longer use third party vendors and were moving to where you could only buy their products direct from them. I’m assuming that will include the Mr Beer store as being direct from them also. They can’t get the Coopers yeast, either.

Hopefully this will bring greater availability and lower prices for us by cutting out all the stray competition. I’m very excited.

I bought 2 of the 3.75 lb Cooper Stout kits. Used a half of one to make a bourbon barrel stout, which hasn't carbonated in the first month in the bottle. It tastes great but no carbonation as of the last sample bottle. :angry: But I'm not giving up on this batch and moved them to the warmer garage to see if the higher temps will revive the yeast.

Just used the second half of the can this past week end with a pound of DME and a half package of booster with 2 packages of MRBeer yeast. Its happily fermenting but the est. abv calculates at only 3.4%. The final might be a couple of tenths higher, we'll have to wait and see.

So I can't comment on how good these HME's are at this time.

After I posted this I went and checked on the stout in the garage and low and behold the PET bottles are getting pretty hard. Not as firm as all my other batches but a big improvement since 2 weeks ago. Maybe I'll try another one this week end. :cheer:

I am not a fan of the Coopers IPA even though I like English IPAs quite much. Tastes like pride of ringwood. And I don't like them.

I like Coopers bitter kits brewed as 5 gallons with 2# of DME and 1oz of goldings added late and S-04 yeast instead of the coopers yeast. That works for me.

I've never had the dark ale, but I've heard of people using them to brew black IPAs and supposedly it worked ok.

Guest System Admin

The only 3.75 Coopers hme I used was English Bitter, I believe. I really liked it, but I used the whole can and made it into a 2.5 gallon batch. Less water, more HME. I used about a Bag and a half of Booster instead of enhancer.
I love the flavor of it, but at 8% ABV, its a little strong for my tastes.
I am considering making it again without any Booster or enhancer. The flavor is real nice...