Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
corwashere

Oh NO!!! Where's the red?!?!?!

OK, I know that there were going to be changes but the RED?!?!? Come one MB!!! I just had my first Rose's Red and I fell in love only to learn that she will be leaving me soon!!

The Bewitched Red is, by far, my favorite so far and it looks like it's going to be kicked to the curb

I'm really disappointed with this! :( :pound: :(

-cor-

Agreed! I use the BWA as the base for my Irish Red, a staple of my pipeline. I certainly hope they make a red ale HME.

The times they are a changin' indeed, and perhaps not for the better. I can't believe Coopers is going to gut out the majority of MB's inventory though. Has anyone heard for certain that most of the HMEs (red included) are being discontinued?

"smgarrett" post=262792 said:

The times they are a changin' indeed, and perhaps not for the better. I can't believe Coopers is going to gut out the majority of MB's inventory though. Has anyone heard for certain that most of the HMEs (red included) are being discontinued?

Since the new extracts are not made by Maltexo anymore, I would imagine none of the old HMEs will be available once the existing inventory is gone. I bet even the ones named similarly to the old ones (Canadian, Oktoberfest, Weiss, Irish Stout) will be drastically different in flavor.

Guest System Admin

I believe Cooper's has a Red Ale, they are still working out all the stuff for Mr. Beer.

I would stay tune and see.

"Trollby" post=262828 said:

I believe Cooper's has a Red Ale, they are still working out all the stuff for Mr. Beer.

They don't have an official Irish Red that I am aware of.

I think the closest they have with their hopped extract is "Sparkling Ale".

No Red Ale would be a major disappointment for me. I hope they come out with one since it is my favorite base ingredient.

It's definitely not a "deal breaker" for me; I'll keep buying MB stuff, but so far the Red has been my favorite. I guess it's time to stock up now before it's all gone!

"Trollby" post=262828 said:

I think there is even broader plans for Cooper's and Mr Beer than what we see directly here. My LHBS has discontinued Cooper's extracts. They used to have 6 varieties, now they only have 2 left, and when they're gone, they're gone. They told me it was the vendor's decision, not theirs.

I hope this isn't a sign of more things to come. I was going to pick up some 3.75 lb cans of HME with yeast for $18.95, since they're EXACTLY double the size of Cooper's new MRB HME's at $17.95.

Now I wonder if Cooper's has already anticipated that move and is working to replace that option with the new Mr B cans in stores. I damn sure hope I'm wrong.

I believe RDWHAHB applies here. Granted the transition isn't smooth, but I kinda doubt it's finished. Why would anybody knowingly shoot themselves in the foot by slashing their inventory like this? At this point, all I'm willing to blame MB/Coopers for, is not being a little more forthcoming with their plans, and making everybody guess. Well, that and raising prices. OK, I'm going to stop now, or I'll end up sounding like Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" skit. :)

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have a blowout sale to clear out the old inventory...

Boe, here is the Coopers/MB Boardroom reaction to that comment:
[attachment=8029]coopers2.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=8030]Coopersboardroom.jpg[/attachment]

I totally agree with the Bewitched Red being one of Mr. Bs best refills. I ordered a big batch of it last night. I will be sad when it runs out. Cooper's probably will produce some kind of red for Mr. B, but it will be hard pressed to match the Bewitched Red. However, I'll certainly will give any such Cooper's brew a try.

Well, here's an idea, for what it's worth.

Amazon is still selling the standard refill Bewitched Red with booster for $12.99 with free shipping if you buy two.

If you were willing to pay $9.95 plus shipping for a can at Mr B store, then consider this as getting a can for $10 and a booster for $3 minus the shipping cost.

I know a lot of people don't want the booster. I don't mind it much at all. I'll use half a bag or even a full bag sometimes, as long as I use enough malt to balance it out. As a matter of fact, some of my family actually prefers their beer not so heavy.

I have never paid more than $8 for any standard Mr B refill, but now that they're going into extinction, I'm considering paying a little more for a few that I want to have around a little longer.

Just an idea for anyone who really loves one of these older ones a lot.

Actually, if we're lucky, there may still be a few more of the variety packs up for sale before it's all over. One of those has the Bewitched Red in it, along with 2 others, and they go for as low as $18 to $20 and maybe even a bit less. That's an even better way to stock up before they all go the way of the dinosaur.

they still have the bewitched red ale instock and also the creamy brown ume you all better stock up! i did last night i bought enough for a couple 5 gal batches....
:chug:

I'm brewing by second batch, which is Rose's Red and was hoping to use this as a learning tool, since everyone likes it so much. Oh, well, there goes that idea. I'll just enjoy it while it last.

Does anyone know of another source of extract that is close to the Bewitched Red HME? From another brand than Mr.B/Coopers? Maybe that would be a good fix?

"Brousenhaus" post=263220 said:

I'm brewing by second batch, which is Rose's Red and was hoping to use this as a learning tool, since everyone likes it so much. Oh, well, there goes that idea. I'll just enjoy it while it last.

Does anyone know of another source of extract that is close to the Bewitched Red HME? From another brand than Mr.B/Coopers? Maybe that would be a good fix?

Maybe this could work: Looks like a 5 gallon mix that just needs yeast and could be split for a couple LBK's.
Irish Red Ale

Guest System Admin

Irish Red Ale

I've got that one conditioning, be ready in 2 weeks. Only ended up with 4.6 ABV, if it taste good, it'll be a nice summer brew.

I'll have to dig through my stockpile to be sure...but I may have used my last Bewitched Red yesterday. I did an Irish Red --- naming it Riding in da Hood.

Used the James Bond yeast (White Labs 007 English Dry) and a couple Lbs of Sparkling Amber DME with a CaraRed grain Steep.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1374126/irish-red-ale-recipes/riding-in-da-hood

=====

Depending on how it turns out, I may have to go looking for that Bewitched Red again.

Okay, for you serious Bewitched Red fans, if you still want to stock up and can't find a better deal, here's one for $12. Free shipping at $69 and up, so you could get 6 of them and keep it at $12 each.

Bewitched Red $12 @ Wayfair