Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

Fruit

I know the topic of fruit has come up in the past and I apoligize I just dont have the time too search all the old post to find my answer I was hoping someone could just give me a ball park figure regarding approx how much fruit pounds or ounces I would add for fruit wheat beer.

I will be adding fresh fruit and I know how to prepare the fruit I am just looking for a good ammount to add so that I dont end up with CoolAid or barely being able to taste it. Just a good medium.

I did a 10 gallon batch of standard 50 50 2row and wheat malt split between two carboys so I am looking at doing a rasberry in one carboy and starwberry in the other carboy.

Thanks

I usually go for about 1 lb for a LBK batch so I would think maybe 2 to 2 1/2 lbs per carboy.

"k9dude" post=264418 said:

I usually go for about 1 lb for a LBK batch so I would think maybe 2 to 2 1/2 lbs per carboy.

That is about what I was thinking but I have seen some insane recipes calling for 4 pounds or more and I was thinking that is way too much.

Thanks for the help. I was going to go about 1.5 lbs per carboy so I was on the right track.

It really depends on how much fruit taste you want. If you want just a little taste I think 1.5 lb would be good. 4 lbs per 5 gallons I think would just be over the top!!

Would the amount of malts used also matter? For me, I wouldn't go beyond 2 pounds of fruit unless I was going for a bigger, maltier beer to compliment it.