Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyMan

Monkey Get, Monkey brew- Bavarian Weissbier

I brewed this up this morning, and per Mr. B/C's request, this is the beginning of my feedback.

Overall I like the new can design- graphically it is superior than the previous. There has been some talk about opening from the 'bottom' vs the 'top.' I would rotate the label 180 degrees, such that the can sits on the cap/yeast. Then visually the top is the easier opening end of the can- issue solved.

I suggest a different material for the cap other than polystyrene (PS no. 6) as most municipalities do not recycle this material. A few notes regarding the instructions on the label:

A. I would suggest pitching the yeast instead of just sprinkling on top.

B. I would suggest stating to prime per bottle size. Currently the instructions state to prime bottles with 2.5 tsp of sugar, but no bottle size is indicated. While many of us know what bottle size this would justify, newcomers won’t

What I did different:

1. I rehydrated the yeast- out of habit.
2. I pitched stirred the yeast.

I will most likely let this ferment for 3 weeks. Overall the HME had a less harsh smell to it than previous Mr. B HME’s (although I’m not sure what that really means or how it will affect the taste). The brewing went quick, I found myself constantly thinking I forgot something- been a while since a pure HME brew! The wort had a very nice mellow, clove like smell.

As the brew progresses I will post my comments and such.

Sprinkling the yeast on top is "pitching the yeast." I'm not sure how you're suggesting that they are different. "Pitching" is simply a brewer's term meaning to add the yeast to the fermenter. Now, if you are saying that they should suggest that you rehydrate or create a starter, I can understand that, but what is your distinction between sprinkle and pitch?

24 hours in and a thin layer of krausen has formed, no visible yeast swim party yet though.

Krausen has disapated, definitely the least visible active fermentation I have seen.

Finally bottled this yesterday, a few comments/observations:

1. Had a very nice fruity/floral aroma and taste
2. To date the clearest brew I've bottled
3. A bit light on flavor, will be a decent Lawnmower brew...definitely needs more overall flavor
4. The sample drew from the lbk had a decent head on it, which made bottling twice as long...I filled bottles as much as I could and than needed to wait for head to subside before finishing filling, basically had to bottle twice, not fun.

Looking forward to the final taste test :)

Final taste/observations:

1. Extremely pale in color and very clear
2. Crazy amount of head to the brew
3. Had a decent taste but was too lite/waited down
4. Has potential But needs more flavor, and lots of it! (I don't care about the low ABV, I want more 'taste')

Not sure the American ale will fair any better...but it was free beer so I can't complain to much!