Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bgthigfist

Using Fennugreek Seeds to add maple flavor

I was re-listening to the adjuncts podcast the other week and they were talking about using fennugreek seeds to add maple flavoring to your beer. I got a small bottle off of amazon and am getting ready to brew my stout tomorrow. I was wondering if anybody has any experience using Fennugreek?

I think I read that boiling them in the work brings out a bitter or metallic flavor and I read somewhere else to crush the seeds and to add them in the secondary.

Anybody in here have any experience or suggestions?

You need to toast the seeds (do not brown them just put them in a dry pan over a low flame and toss them until they smell fragrent... if they brown they will be bitter as hell).

Once they are toasted, put them in a coffee grinder and pulse it a few times while shaking it. You don't want to turn them into powder, just broken up.

Do not boil them. You can add them to your secondary. Or you can soak them in vodka in a jar to make an extract out of them, just give it a shake every day, and taste it, if it tastes like maple then you did good. If it tastes bitter and nasty then you toasted them too much (or too little).

You can add some of that vodka mixture to your bottling bucket or even a measured amount directly in each bottle, to your liking.

If I was doing it I'd go the vodka route. Generally every herb/spice I add to beer I do this with, if it's not an herb/spice that can go in the boil.

I went ahead and added the seeds to the LBK right before the yeast. The stout spend a month fermenting and I tried the first one this week after 2 weeks in the bottles.

Yep, maple flavor.

I'll give it a couple more weeks in the bottles before trying another. Thanks for your advice Mashani