Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

Wow gonna have to watch this ... hot break returns

Now that my biab efficiency is UP ....
I got an AG hop boil goin right now ... when it came to boil ... hot break almost went over.
Haven't had to think about that since my DME boil days.

heh.

This is all two row, no specialty grain. What a freaking sight. Beautiful.

Don't let that run over, if it runs over the sides to the flame you'll get some of that 'alien bat shit' smell going!

"Rebel_B" post=264835 said:

Don't let that run over, if it runs over the sides to the flame you'll get some of that 'alien bat shit' smell going!

SWMBO doesn't like that smell. At least mine.

Yea, the AG breaks are pretty impressive. Glad I use such a big pot when brewing AG so they aren't that much of a concern for me. I do stand ready just in case though!

SWMBO HATES that smell here too. Have to light candles if it ever happens again.

Ouch! That looks like 3-4 scrubbing sessions coming up. This is the incentive to have 'extra capacity' on your boil pots.

Exactly, and I have discovered that a 35 qt pot really is not big enough for a 5 gallon all grain batch. I really wish I would have dropped another $20 or $30 when I bought my kettle.

"Gymrat" post=264894 said:

Exactly, and I have discovered that a 35 qt pot really is not big enough for a 5 gallon all grain batch. I really wish I would have dropped another $20 or $30 when I bought my kettle.

+1 I too wish I hadn't been such a cheapo! At the time I was thinking why on earth would I ever need anything bigger than this. Hindsight 20/20! :angry:

Barkeepers Friend and elbow grease can get some of that off Screwy. That's some nasty stuff.
I've had some small spills on the grills of my gas stove and the Mrs. wasn't happy. I soaked them in Cascade dishwashing liquid and got a scouring sponge and worked it out.
The smell is something I'm not crazy about either.

I have not tried a 5 gallon batch yet, planning on doing one here in June.

I got a 35 Quart Turkey fryer but it has an additional "Safety-Well" above so hope it removes that issue.

turkeyfryer.jpg

The upper well is about 3" deep and I have gotten a new Stainless steel grill rack to slide in when removing grain bag for my BIAB.

I'd set the stove parts outside and let them marinate in oven cleaner for awhile. Should take care of most of it.

That's a serious toy you have there Trollby! I have all the needed burners (got 2) and a huge pot for boiling crawfish and crabs but have never used it.
I'm thinking that this winter, now that I have a kegerator and getting 3 cornys' (sorry, I had to brag once again) that I might want to do a 10 gallon batch just once to try it. Figure I can split into 2 fermenters and do something different on one. But, I would never use the pot I use for boiling seafood so I'd need to get a bigger one.
Might be fun to call the guys overs and mash 25 lbs of grain and see how much I can spend and mess things up. :lol: The bigger you brew the bigger your mistakes can be.

Guest System Admin

DOH!!!!!

I meant to say 35 QUART! not Gallons, I was thinking 5 gallons and when I was talking about the fryer messed up

"Screwy Brewer" post=264882 said:

I've found that most females can't stand the smell of an all grain hop boil but burning some wort into their stovetop will really set them off.

Just tell her, "But Honey, it's my hobby!" OH, man, good luck, heh heh.

Ok ... update ... now THIS is weird. A few AG's ago I improved my sparge method and hit 80%! Not a big deal, but I'd been running 75%, and got a kick out of it.

The one last night ... where I had the impressive hot break ... I had really done a great sparge and squeeze job, after mashing for a full 90 mins.

After the boil and cool down, and cold water top-off (yes, my method makes that necessary), this time it was not 85%, not 80%, not my usual 75%, but 70%!
Maybe I'm not controlling things like I thought, heh heh ... Still be a great ale, but I'm gonna stop thinking about eff so much. Just keep Qbrew on 75%, and know I'll get a bit more or a bit less if not exact ... it's all good.