Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brousenhaus

I LOVE Yard Sales!

I went walk with my wife and 1 year old boy today and the whole neighborhood was having yard sales. Just before we went back to the house, my wife says "What is that picture of that guy smiling and holding a big mug". I say, "Oh, that's a Mr. Beer Kit!". So, we meander on over and see a Mr. Beer Kit box with an LBK and some 1 liter swing top bottles in it. I just smile and ask how much. The lady says $10! I say I'll be right back with cash. And this is what I got!
[attachment=8117]IMG_6893.JPG[/attachment]
Pure happiness!
:chug:

Nice Find! Congrats! Do you have a close up of one of the bottles? it looks kind of interesting! How old is that kit?

:chug:

Sorry Louie, I was so excited that I already cleaned off the labels! They are from Highland Brewing Company, in North Carolina. The beer is Cold Mountain Ale. I got some pics off there website for you!

[attachment=8118]HighlandBrewingCo.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=8119]ColdMountainAle.JPG[/attachment]

I think the kit and bottles must be a little old. Cold Mountain Ale now apparently comes in blue bottles. And the spigot on the LBK is an older type that has a push button instead of a lever. I plan on changing the spigot and using it as a second brewkeg.

Nice, I found almost the same score on craiglist a year or so, but it was a dozen 16oz. swingtops that most LHBS's sell with the words EZ CAP molded in the bottle, and a few odds and ends in the box with it. But I paid $20, so you made out nice!!! Just get some new rubber seals for those bottles, to be safe.

Thanks frogmeat! I am wondering if there are size differences for the seals. Do you know if that is something I should look into before ordering them?

My store just have packs of 12 red seals, you just stretch them over the little knob like thingy on the cap, after taking the old ones off, of course.

Every swing top I've ever seen/used has the same size seal.

Jeez, I just looked up those bottles on a few sites and DAMN, we both got good deals!! $28 for a dozen of those in 16oz, and $36 for the 32 oz! And we both got a lbk to boot!!! SCORE!!

"KZ" post=265699 said:

Every swing top I've ever seen/used has the same size seal.

That's good to know KZ and frogmeat! I guess I'll order a few then! Your help is always greatly appreciated!

"frogmeat69" post=265702 said:

Jeez, I just looked up those bottles on a few sites and DAMN, we both got good deals!! $28 for a dozen of those in 16oz, and $36 for the 32 oz! And we both got a lbk to boot!!! SCORE!!

Yes we did! And I figure that if I paid a dollar for the LBK, then I paid a dollar each for the nine bottles! And no shipping. They'll be nice for long conditioning some stouts and porters for the winter.

We had a 400 mile yard sale around here this weekend, and me and the girlfriend did about 15 of those miles (just that little bit took almost 5 hours!). Didn't find a lot, but got a one gallon glass jug for a buck, one brown swingtop bottle for .50 cents, and my best find, 7 of these 40cl Stella Artois glasses for a quarter a piece!!

31hrbURw1WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg