Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
smgarrett

BeerSmith Profiles for New MB/Coopers HMEs

Hello all,
I haven't seen anybody post the BeerSmith profiles for the new MB/Coopers HMEs, so I decided to do (or at least try to do) them. I used a combination of Screwy Brewer's and Crazy Climber's qBrew and BeerSmith files to make them. If I did something wrong, please let me know, or re-post the corrected file.

EDIT: The forum doesn't like the native file format. Just change the ".txt" extension back to the ".bsmx" after you download the file.

Not much of it was mine. I took the data from Screw's qBrew database, and worked it into BeerSmith. The older LMEs are done courtesy of Crazy Climber. But I figured it could help some people having everything in a condensed package.
That reminds me, if you see this Screwy, how are you getting the color for the extracts? You're obviously not getting them directly from MB's site. Are you testing them yourself?

The color for the new Mr.Beer/Coopers HMEs are listed on the website:

Classic American Light
Pale Straw color, mild in flavor and lower in calories with a crisp, dry finish. A true to character representation of our nation’s favorite beer style. Serve ice cold for a clean, refreshing taste that has passed the test of time.

sku# 11950
ABV: 3.7%, SRM: 2, IBU: 11

SRM: 2

Rick

Thanks to all who contributed. I just got BeerSmith during the holiday weekend sale and this data will be quite useful.

"rickbray66" post=266221 said:

The color for the new Mr.Beer/Coopers HMEs are listed on the website:

Classic American Light
Pale Straw color, mild in flavor and lower in calories with a crisp, dry finish. A true to character representation of our nation’s favorite beer style. Serve ice cold for a clean, refreshing taste that has passed the test of time.

sku# 11950
ABV: 3.7%, SRM: 2, IBU: 11

SRM: 2

Rick

The stats on the MB site don't quite match up with the numbers in the new qBrew database. Just look at the old St. Patrick's Stout vs. the new one for example. I'd trust Screwy's numbers before MB's, but I'm just curious to see how he gets them.

smgarrett, I just noticed the SRM for St. Patrick's Irish Stout in the original database is way higher than the SRM listed on the Mr. Beer site. I think most will agree anything darker than SRM 40 is considered black, so why was it that no one else noticed the difference all these years? They weren't paying as close attention as you.

[img size=300]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fKzCDLK9cbY/T88pA42ArgI/AAAAAAAADcA/2dL61lfpRbQ/s471/MB%2520SRM.jpg
Edit Your Database To Use The SRM/IBU From Mr. Beer's Ads

Another thing to point out is the Alpha Acid percentages in the database may not be equal to the hops you buy, but you can change these values in your recipes and they will be saved with the recipe.

I hear ya Screwy. I wasn't nitpicking your work, I really was curious to see if you had actually analyzed the extracts yourself. As you said, it doesn't really matter, black is black. Thanks for the reply.

I've got the MB/Coopers profiles downloaded, renamed .bsmx, and copied into the Beersmith2 add-on directory, but BS2 is not picking them up. Is there a way to install the profile as an add-on?

Thanks.

What I did is open the file in BeerSmith. Then open the grain ingredients tab. After that, just select the MB/Coopers ingredients and paste them into your grains tab. That should do it.

Thanks, that did the trick...
Since I couldn't get BS2 to install the pack unless it's downloaded from the BS2 site, I was trying to cut/paste from the open file directly into my recipe, which didn't work either...

Not a problem. It would be nice to make the ingredients an add-on, but I don't know how. I would assume you have to publish it on the BeerSmith website somehow.

I realized earlier that I forgot one of the new HMEs, so here's the updated list. Please let me know of any changes that need to be made.