Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
alb

Barley crusher!

My barley crusher was delivered today! It came adjusted to 1mm spacing. Does that sound right to keep it there, or do I need to adjust it before I start?

This weekend is filled up but next weekend I'm making Dave's American Ale. Dave, would that recipe do well with some lime zest in it?

"alb" post=266195 said:

My barley crusher was delivered today! It came adjusted to 1mm spacing. Does that sound right to keep it there, or do I need to adjust it before I start?

This weekend is filled up but next weekend I'm making Dave's American Ale. Dave, would that recipe do well with some lime zest in it?

I've been brewing AG for 2 years now and still don't have my very own Barley Crusher!! Not fair!! I'll just stop by to use it when needed. Thanks for sharing! :chug:

I"ve never actually used a gapping tool to measure, but to adjust it, jun some grain through it. If it's all cracked open you are good. If some is open, some still whole, then tighten it a bit. If you are making flour then open it up a bit.

I left my barley crushed on the factory setting. There are marks on the factory setting so you can make sure it is lined up right. Mine gives me a perfect crush right out of the box.

I just ordered the 7lb crusher and every review I've read said the factory setting increased their efficiency compared to buying already milled grain.
Should get mine this week.

trying...not...to...hit...the...buy...button...so...hard....so...tempted...damn you BeerSmith and PayPal.

"alb" post=266195 said:

I got a Victoria mill, rather than an actual barley crusher, and I had to adjust it. Basically, I did what mashani recommended, using a handful of grain at a time and comparing it to what I knew I'd been getting in the crushed grain I'd been ordering online. I basically eyeballed it until it looked right. I've been getting around 75% efficiency since then, so I can't complain.

Couldn't hurt. The recipe is so simple, I can't see the lime competing with anything.

"alb" post=266195 said:

:borg: Mine came came with an adjustment of .39 inches. For me, that's worked just fine.

that would be .39"= 9.90600mm

So I don't know what measurement you're better equiped to handle. What type of feeler guage do you have? If I am correct, that 1mm is about .039".

However, the tryed and true method has been stated already...
Dump some in, give it a go, and judge for yourself. Not cracking...tighten,
making powder...losen.

"Gymrat" post=266240 said:

I left my barley crushed on the factory setting. There are marks on the factory setting so you can make sure it is lined up right. Mine gives me a perfect crush right out of the box.

Yep. It usually comes preset with the little notches lining up on top. That should give you a good crush, although I have mine set just a bit closer. The o-ring that drives the inactive roller will break pretty quickly, but the grain passing through the rollers will keep it rolling and crushing just fine, so no worries on that score.

"yankeedag" post=266354 said:

Mine came came with an adjustment of .39 inches. For me, that's worked just fine.

that would be .39"= 9.90600mm

More than a quarter inch, almost a half inch? Am i misunderstanding something, thats a big gap!

Decimal points DO matter: from barleycrusher.com;
The gap default setting is marked and set at .039 at assembly. Adjustment range is from .015 to .070 thousands of an inch.

"genotype" post=266300 said:

trying...not...to...hit...the...buy...button...so...hard....so...tempted...damn you BeerSmith and PayPal.

Listen too the voices.
"Buy it, you want it, you need it, you will love it" :chug:

yes, but which one? 7lb hopper will suffice for a while, but I just know that I'll eventually regret not getting the 15lb'er.

I've been spending so much I figured I'd save a few $$$ on this. With a drill, I can do most of my 12-15 lb AG's in under 10 minutes tops. It will take that long for the water to reach 170 anyway but if money and space is not a problem, I'd go for it.
If I know I'll brew within a week of my buying from my LHBS, I'll still let them do it for me as it's free. He'd probably do some milling for me even when I buy online but I don't want to get in that habit with him as he's been very fair with me.
And, if you do get the smaller one, you can always resell it to another homebrewer on craigslist....not a guarantee but doable.

I feel like Homer Simpson....drooling....

"ooooooh.......barley crusher......"

"Fee" post=266406 said:

I feel like Homer Simpson....drooling....

"ooooooh.......barley crusher......"

DITTO!!!

[attachment=8141]homer.jpg[/attachment]

I've looked at larger, industrial equipment......and I just stare and gaze, there is almost no thought other than.....me...wanty...you....

it just said .039 on the paperwork that came with it... my bad...so that should be .9906

Busted... my bad.

and as far as ONLY having a 7 pound hopper... I've left the larger amounts of grain in the bag I got them in, in my case, paper bags. What I do is set the bag on the counter over the grain mill, cut a small corner hole in the bag so that the grain can run out, power the drill up (removed the hand crang after 3rd use) and got after it. once the bag was down to a pound or so, I just dump the rest in the hopper.

Or you could use the money you saved to get a monkey. Then you can post vidoes of your monkey crushing your grain on youtube, have it go viral, make a bazillion dollars, and buy yourself a brewery. At least that's what my brain is telling me to do right now.

:: smacks brain :: :P

"mashani" post=266439 said:

Or you could use the money you saved to get a monkey. Then you can post vidoes of your monkey crushing your grain on youtube, have it go viral, make a bazillion dollars, and buy yourself a brewery. At least that's what my brain is telling me to do right now.

:: smacks brain :: :P

how big is his hopper?

feeding-time.gif

Just got an email that FedEx left my barley crusher on the porch.....hope it's still there when I get home.
Came just in time to crush 15 lbs for Sunday. Hope it arrived in good condition.

"Beer-lord" post=266902 said:

Just got an email that FedEx left my barley crusher on the porch.....hope it's still there when I get home.
Came just in time to crush 15 lbs for Sunday. Hope it arrived in good condition.

Nice!! Did you go through there website or another place?

I forget all the places I looked but ended up at Midwest paying about $6 more but I knew they could get it to me in time for the weekend. I think Rebel Brewer was out of stock on the 7 lb crusher and the factory was too far away to make delivery in time. I would have paid more than $6 for expedited shipping from elsewhere so......time is money and I'm paying for mine.

Plus, Midwest has been good to me. Pretty soon I should be on their Christmas card list since I've been buying so much.

In a word, AWESOME! Just crushed 15 lbs of grain in 6 minutes. Could have been faster if it wasn't my first time and the breeze wouldn't have blown the dust in my nose to start a sneeze attack.
This is the real deal.

Just pulled the trigger and bought it via BeerSmith. 7lb'er for $130.80 delivered. I have a 14.4 V cordless drill. Will this suffice, or would I be better off with a corded drill?

Today I used a Dewalt 14.4. Had to change batteries after the first grind but it worked find. I did use the high torque setting though.

Thanks. I've got the DeWalt 14.4 as well. I'll fully charge both batteries before 1st use.

When I first got my mill I was using a cheap blue harbor freight 12 v drill. It worked great but I got tired of forgetting to charge the battery the night before. So I bought a cheap harbor freight electric drill. It works perfect.

Getting my mill for fathers day, I sent my wife the link from Adventures in Homebrewing, but they are soldout. We are going tomorrow to Brew Brothers and getting it there for 5 bucks more(135.00). Better to help the local ecomomy IMHO.

"stevecon" post=267250 said:

Getting my mill for fathers day, I sent my wife the link from Adventures in Homebrewing, but they are soldout. We are going tomorrow to Brew Brothers and getting it there for 5 bucks more(135.00). Better to help the local ecomomy IMHO.

When ya gotta have it now, ya gotta have it now!

"alb" post=267254 said:

Damn right, it may be a week early, but it is the thought that counts. Gotta love a partner that supports you passions.

:banana:

"alb" post=266195 said:

Just received my Barley Crusher today (late Father's Day gift from my two daughters). Looks awesome, will try it out after I get to the LHBS across town on Sunday & get some grains for the next batch of brew.

Current Shipping Times: Approx 8-10 business days to ship your order

That would make mine ship hopefully by next Monday

Spoke too soon. Received a tracking number this morning! Depending on where it's coming from, I may be able to brew this weekend!

grain crushers r nice ta have fur sure

"stevecon" post=267256 said:

"alb" post=267254 said:

Damn right, it may be a week early, but it is the thought that counts. Gotta love a partner that supports you passions.

This is so true. My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary earlier this month, and when she asked me what I wanted as a gift for this momentous occasion, I told her I wanted a refrigerator and a Johnson Controller.

She doesn't drink beer (doesn't touch alcohol at all, in fact), and has no real interest in my obsession, but she does support it, because she knows it's important to me.

And I got my fridge and JC.

Also, if you're curious at all, my gift to her was an iPad, which she's enjoying very much.

"Rebel_B" post=269616 said:

"alb" post=266195 said:

Just received my Barley Crusher today (late Father's Day gift from my two daughters). Looks awesome, will try it out after I get to the LHBS across town on Sunday & get some grains for the next batch of brew.

Used the barley crusher for the first time today; factory setting looks just right to me. Brewing up a batch of beer right now, just started the boil.

I've not touched the stock setting on mine and only grind once the last 2 batches. Got great efficiency. I'm happy with mine.
I do use almost a full charge on my cordless as I think my 14.4 is a tad little for it. I can crush about 20 lbs on a charge. That just doesn't seem right to me but that's a minor complaint.

Did my first BIAB Friday and go 73 percent effciency. Used a drill and it was done in no time. The factory default is 1 mm and I don't think I'll screw with it. Getting ready to do another BIAB. Well worth the 130 dollar price tag and a lifetime warranty.

Yeah, I like to cook & brew beer. The freshly crushed barley seems like it tastes better as it's mashed. Just like freshly ground coffee beans seem to make a better coffee or espresso. Definitely worth it.

"genotype" post=270942 said:

Just delivered! Gonna use it this weekend.

I prolly have to wait another week or so, since my pipeline is pretty full (!) and I have yet to decide on a recipe for BIAB.

alb, do something simple for your BIAB, like maybe a SMASH. Maris Otter and Williamette make a good American Ale. Or, Vienna malt and Northern Brewer. Keep it simple and when you use just 1 malt and 1 hop variety, you get to learn what each bring out.
Ooops, I hijacked again.

"Beer-lord" post=270996 said:

alb, do something simple for your BIAB, like maybe a SMASH. Maris Otter and Williamette make a good American Ale. Or, Vienna malt and Northern Brewer. Keep it simple and when you use just 1 malt and 1 hop variety, you get to learn what each bring out.
Ooops, I hijacked again.

'S alright, it's my OP! And thanks for the tip. I'm anxious to use my Nelson Sauvin hops.

"alb" post=271000 said:

I'm anxious to use my Nelson Sauvin hops.

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it...or send them to me. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...etc...etc...etc you get the gist

So, where's the best place to buy one of these contraptions?? Just not with FED EX shipping, they can go to Hell before I get another thing left at my door to get stolen again by using them, dumbass driver has been told 4 times to not leave anything, keeps doing it, f#*cking moron. EDIT- Kinda answered my own question, Beersmith has best price, shipping included, about $126 via UPS, but says like 6-10 days to ship. Backordered I wonder??

"frogmeat69" post=272645 said:

So, where's the best place to buy one of these contraptions?? Just not with FED EX shipping, they can go to Hell before I get another thing left at my door to get stolen again by using them, dumbass driver has been told 4 times to not leave anything, keeps doing it, f#*cking moron. EDIT- Kinda answered my own question, Beersmith has best price, shipping included, about $126 via UPS, but says like 6-10 days to ship. Backordered I wonder??

Do you have an LHBS? They would sell it, or probably be able to order one for you, to be shipped to them.

I placed an order with Midwest Supplies yesterday, and I came so close to ordering the Barley Crusher. But I'm not doing enough AG brewing to justify it right now. But a bigger brew kettle (40 qt.) and the Barley Crusher are definitely in my future. Looks like you found a good price there.

That is where I got mine. Best price around. Actually just used it for the 1st time about an hour ago.

"FedoraDave" post=272649 said:

Do you have an LHBS? They would sell it, or probably be able to order one for you, to be shipped to them.
Yeah, I have an LHBS, but they don't carry it, they have the schmidling for way too much money, and I like not paying tax by ordering online.

"genotype" post=272664 said:

That is where I got mine. Best price around. Actually just used it for the 1st time about an hour ago.

How did it go??

"genotype" post=272664 said:

STOOPID DOUBLE POST!!!

so far so good. i'm mashing out right now, then on to the boil. i'll know shortly how close i came to my pre-boil gravity.

If you order from barleycrusher.com, they default to UPS ground, two week leadtime. +/- $136 to my area..

Count me as another who has the Barley Crusher and I love it. I've used it for 3 brews so far and it's fast, easy to clean and just works right out the box.

"Beer-lord" post=272720 said:

Count me as another who has the Barley Crusher and I love it. I've used it for 3 brews so far and it's fast, easy to clean and just works right out the box.

+1. Done 2 brews with mine since Father's Day. Works great!

Alrighty, just broke down and purchased the Barley Crusher from Beersmith.com, $125.89 w/shipping, now I'm hangin' with the big boys/gals!!!

My Barley Crusher is being delivered today, but will not be using it for a while, having carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand this morning in an hour or so. Just hope to be home when UPS shows up, wish me luck!!

I know lots of folks with your exact surgery who all have done well. I wish you a speedy recovery and back to brewing in no time.

Speedy recovery and if you can get assistance you can hook up a drill to do the crushing.

Just showed up!!! It is so awesome looking, can't wait to try it!!! And thanx for the well wishes, really appreciated, all went smooth, hurts a bit and my fingers are still numb from the local the Doc gave me after the procedure.

Great news on the surgery.
You will enjoy sending little seeds through the grinding jaws of their demise. WHAhahahahahahaha....

Just used my BC for the fifth time.....12 lbs in 4 minutes! I am amazed.

To those who have this unit, do you really double crush? My crush is so good, I don't think I could. It would fall right thru? Efficiency has been awesome.
No muss, no fuss, it just works!

"Beer-lord" post=274587 said:

Just used my BC for the fifth time.....12 lbs in 4 minutes! I am amazed.

To those who have this unit, do you really double crush? My crush is so good, I don't think I could. It would fall right thru? Efficiency has been awesome.
No muss, no fuss, it just works!

Never double crushed before. Seems pointless, since it gets it crushed on the first round. You can always make adjustments as needed; run a half pound through & check to see if you need to adjust.
:cheers:

I don't even know. I have a Dewalt 14.4 and I just connect it and let it go. Of course, I had to adjust the torque the first time but once it goes, it just goes.
I guess it depends on what type of drill you have.

I just set my drill to "Get R Done"... seems to work fine. and I don't double run.

"genotype" post=274656 said:

when using a drill, what speed do you try to crush at?

From Beersmith's website:

"Use a 3/8? drill motor at up to 500 rpm to make quick work of large batches."

"yankeedag" post=274723 said:

um, my drill doesn't have a tacomiter.... :huh:

i wish my drill had tacos. mmmmm...tacos. i use a dewalt 14.4 cordless. not sure of the rpm, but i try to lightly hold down the trigger and crush.

Just used my crusher for the first time today, on only 6 oz. of grains using the handle, figured it can't be that tough, holy cow, gotta dig out the drill,lol!!!!

LOL frogmeat. I have had to crush 10 pounds of grain by hand crank twice because of unexpected dead battery on my drill. I went to harbor freight and kicked out $15 for an electric drill. Dang does that crush my grain fast!

My drill came with a spare battery. I can only get about 2 uses out of a full battery.....crushes about 14 lbs twice then I need to switch batteries. My electric is old and funky and I'm afraid to even try it.

"Gymrat" post=278247 said:

LOL frogmeat. I have had to crush 10 pounds of grain by hand crank twice because of unexpected dead battery on my drill. I went to harbor freight and kicked out $15 for an electric drill. Dang does that crush my grain fast!

Yeah, but I've seen the guns your toting,should be a walk in the park for you, and I just had surgery and need it on my other hand, so I felt like one of those girly men Arnold was talking about, :lol: .

Went to crush 10lbs today and my cordless batteries crapped out on me. Ran over to the depot and procured the least expensive corded drill. Funny enough, the corded drill was able to crush all the grain without a recharge!

I dont know about walk in the park. But it sure took a long time :popbeer:

Used my corded drill for my last two batches. I like walking in the park.

I dispise cordless tools.

While I keep the batteries charged for those rare occasions when I actually need a wireless, I much prefer corded. So much less hassle!!!

Cordless tools is enough to drive you to drink!

I can't live without my cordless dewalt tools. I have my personal tools and company tools. I never have dead battieries come brew day as Ive hand cranked once, never again.

Just used my Barley Crusher for my first all grain beer, a cream ale, milled 4 pounds of grain in under 30 seconds w/ my drill hooked up, HELL YEAH, THIS THING ROCKS!!!! :banana: