Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
d3EP

caramel malts, what if?

What if I didn't use caramel/crystal malt? I might go to the store tomorrow to pick some up but I was just wondering if I could get away with it. Im going to make a darker malty beer

I'm not really sure I follow... You will just end up with beer that probably will have less sweet caramelly characteristics. I have made a few with little to no crystal and they turned out great.

The sweetness from Crystal is a different flavor from "malty". Just to make sure you are aware. Malty is different from "caramel/sweet". A bunch of 20L munich will give you malty, but it won't taste the same as 2-row + 20L.

It sounds like you're in mind thought. Not sure what the plan is or what you're referencing. There are hundreds of different grains other than Crystal or Caramel malts...you can still make up a very nice beer without using those.

Im going to make a darker malty beer

You could have a very heavy malt base and throw in 4-to-6 oz of Crisp Chocolate malt (630 L) and comeout with something insanely dark without using Crystal or Caramel malts.