Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thomaso827

2nd Batch Going

The starter kit of Pale Ale came out excellent. Only thing that happened was that some bottles were more mellow than others. All the same, they certainly drank well, and I even shared one at work with good reviews. Now starting an Irish Stout with the refill kit. Had a bit of a spill as I poured the warm wort into the LBK but less than a quarter cup went all over the front of the sink. Looked pretty bad as dark as it was but didnt seen to affect anything. By last night, the foam from stirring had settled, and this morning there was a tremendous bit of foam from fermenting. This is what I was looking for in the first batch that I didnt see, so I'm gaining confidence with this batch. Already planning on a Weizen for the next one.

Tom Oxley

Hi Tom
Nice job, your FIRST brew was actually good. Great. Most first brews are so-so.

Yes, the stout will show more or a stronger krausen. Makin beer

Well, now you need another keg.. and another :)
Enjoy the hobby.
RR

A friend gave me his 5-gallon kit and a bunch of glass bottles. Now to work on that a bit. I expect to give everyone a bottle of something for Christmas. If I can sort out a 5-gallon batch of Weinachtsbier, that would be great, and appropriate :freeze:. I've got a few months to sort that out. For now, just want to get the process moving.

Tom

"thomaso827" post=267656 said:

A friend gave me his 5-gallon kit and a bunch of glass bottles. Now to work on that a bit. I expect to give everyone a bottle of something for Christmas. If I can sort out a 5-gallon batch of Weinachtsbier, that would be great, and appropriate :freeze:. I've got a few months to sort that out. For now, just want to get the process moving.

Tom

For a really good choice of 5 gallon recipe kits try:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

They have pretty good prices and one of the best selections of recipe kits I've seen. Let us know what you do and how it goes! :)

Thanks, I'll check them out.

One question came up that I need to ask before I start bottling this weekend. The instructions on the can say to use 2 and a half teaspoons of sugar, but the instruction booklet has the table that says to use 1 and 1 quarter teaspoons for my half-litre bottles. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not reading into it, that the instructions on the can are for the litre size bottles. Hate to not use enough sugar in the process.

Tom Oxley

I was all ready to start bottling yesterday but thought I would do the little taste test first. Glad I did, it was just a hint citrusy yet. Will try again on Wednesday.

Tom

If you're only a week into fermentation I wouldn't expect it to be ready yet. That being said, I also wouldn't expect an Irish stout to have any citrus notes. Was it sweet at all?

I thought citrusy, the wife had a taste and thought vinegary, just a hint. I didnt notice a sweetness beyond that. The foam has settled to just a little layer of krausen (assuming I have learned something from the first batch). It wouldnt keep me from drinking it. :gulp:

Tom