Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SmokingTony

Thinking of using Rebel Brewer?

Don't bother. Ordered a keg system from them and it came incomplete. Now I am having a hard time getting a hold of them to explain to them their own error. I have 2 LBKs in the fridge full of dunkelweizen that I was hoping to keg, and now it looks like I am going to have to bottle 40+ beers on my own, yet again.

Tony~

Sorry to hear you ran into a problem with Rebel.

From my experience...on the positive, the have stuff I couldn't find elsewhere -- like Briess Bonlander (amped up Munich malt). But I have been very sorely disappointed with their packaging. I bought a lot of grain from them and the bags they put the grain in is thinner than paper and lighter than a feather. I got a box once and reached in to pull out a bag...grabbed it like any other thing and 2 fingers went right through the bag. Lost a good 6-to-8 oz. of grain back into the box of popcorn peanuts. Luckily it was a 3 Lb bag. Just be careful....to anyone buying grains from there.

Sorry to hear that Tony! :( It sucks to get a new beer toy that you've really been looking forward to and it's either broke or incomplete!!

Hopefully they make good on their product otherwise let everyone here know! A boycott by the BORG could be a little dent in the pocket book. ;)

Hmm... Tom and Tyler have always been great to me. Of course, I'm a face-to-face customer and not a ship customer, so I haven't dealt with their shipping.

Have you left a message through the website? They are always quick to respond by that method... Just go you 'My Account' and then 'My Messages,' and then scroll down to the bottom to where you can submit a message related to your order.

Let me know if you need me to stop by and bust some heads... ;)

I finally got a hold of them, and they said they would ship out the remaining parts today. That's great and all, but when I spend $150 on one item, and it's my first time dealing with a company, I expect my single item to arrive complete. I suppose if this was my third time dealing with them and the first time that they messed up, I would be more forgiving. Hopefully the parts arrive in a timely manner and I might be willing to give them another chance in the future, but I'll probably be sticking to Amazon or Austin Homebrew Supply.

Sorry you had a bad first experience, Tony. I'm a little surprised, since Swenocha recommends them highly, and I have great respect for his opinions and experience. But, as he said, he's a face-to-face customer, rather than a shipping customer.

I wouldn't write them off completely, unless they screw up their make-good. Although that's entirely up to you. FWIW, I've dealt with Northern Brewer fairly often, and I've never had a problem with any of my orders.

OK, second try to answer... LOL, freakin puters. After a long post, this darn puter decided to loose it.... yeesh..

Sorry to hear about ur problems with them. I have talked to thme both on the phone, have made several orders with them and have been very happy with them. All items ordered was complete, in great condition and priced great. I will order from them again soon. Give them another shot, they are a good company.

That's a shame. I wouldn't participate in any boycott. I've found Rebel to very helpful on the phone, and quick with shipping. I have received return emails in a day or so. The one time I received a defective part they replaced it quickly, although they didn't offer to reimburse for the return shipping. I haven't ordered grains from them so I can't say anything good or bad about that.

I have frankly had better luck with them than another well-known mail order brewing company that hasn't gotten anything right on the first try yet. But they make it good in the end, so I keep trying.

I bought a kegging starter kit from them and was very pleased. I got a good deal, the order came complete and ready to go and it arrived quickly. I will be doing business with them in the future.

Guest System Admin

I have ordered 3 times from them, only 1 mistake.

They sent me a 5 gallon keg instead of the spare 2.5 gallon keg I ordered.

Got a hold of them and was sent out and I got it 2 days later.

I'm sure that they have gotten plenty of orders right, and made plenty of customers happy. It just so happens that on my first experience with them, my order was screwed up. Kudos to those that have been pleased with your results working with Rebel Brewer thus far. The item at hand was also a gift from SWMBO for my birthday, that has now passed, so it upset me even more that they failed her just as much as they failed me.

I'll be keeping on eye on this thread for future reference. Been eye-balling their 2.5 gallon kegging system.

Rick

I ordered a 2.5 gal system that arrived in 2 days. It was of very high quality, and I'm gonna order either another one of these or a 5 gal one.

The rest of the stuff came in today, so I suppose they came through in the end. A frustrating experience, but all is well.

Did you get a 5 gal keg, or 2.5 gal one? Also be careful with the regulator. I barely bumped mine, and the gauge that tells you how much is in the tank doesn't work anymore

I got the 2.5 tailgate draft system. It doesn't come with a regulator. It seems pretty well made. The lid is a little difficult to get in and seal with confidence though. I am naturally carbonating this time around with 1/3 cup of sugar, but I'm already certain that I will want to upgrade to a force carbonating system.

"SmokingTony" post=268128 said:

I got the 2.5 tailgate draft system. It doesn't come with a regulator. It seems pretty well made. The lid is a little difficult to get in and seal with confidence though. I am naturally carbonating this time around with 1/3 cup of sugar, but I'm already certain that I will want to upgrade to a force carbonating system.

I've got the same system, Tony. The only drawback is you will go thru many CO2 cartridges; cleaning/rinsing/sanitizing/dispensing/cleaning/rinsing. For this reason, I too am considering the purchase of a CO2 tank/regulator.

[attachment=8223]2.5galminidraftsystem.jpg[/attachment]

I have been eyeballing that same system. Already dropped the hint to me lady, as we have an anniversary approaching. I'm leaning towards the CO2 tank/regulator if SWMBO will go for it.

How well would this work if I was to try and create a kegerator from a mini fridge?

Rick

"rickbray66" post=268137 said:

I have been eyeballing that same system. Already dropped the hint to me lady, as we have an anniversary approaching. I'm leaning towards the CO2 tank/regulator if SWMBO will go for it.

How well would this work if I was to try and create a kegerator from a mini fridge?

Rick

I'm sure it would work fine. I'm going to get a 5 gal keg, with a beer gun filler to fill bottles straight from the keg. I honestly feel that forced carbed beers are better IMO. Plus, I'm tired of bottling.

I'm now on CO2 but my experience with my 2 mini kegs is that it only took 2 16 gram bullets to empty one keg but 3 for another. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'm keeping some around if I ever want to take a mini with me somewhere like a party or picnic.
But, for the price of these, you can almost get 2 of the 5 gallon corny kegs. That's not good if you don't have room for them as the mini's fit great in the fridge.

Space is definitely a restriction for me, so that's a reason I'm looking at the 2.5 gallon. Plus, I like the portability option as well.

Rick