Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SmokingTony

Kegging question (incomplete system)

So I ordered the 2.5 gallon tailgate draft system from Rebel Brewer, and it came incomplete. The only thing I got was the keg itself. It is also supposed to come with "Pocket Charger, Gas Disconnect (MFL), Liquid Disconnect (Barb), 4ft of 3/16" Beer Line, Picnic Tap, and ten 16 gram CO2 Cartridges". My question is whether or not I can fill the keg and naturally carbonate without the rest of the parts, then just add the other parts when they arrive in a few days. My beer has been cold crashing for 3 days now. I suppose I can leave the beer in the fridge for a few more days, but I would love to get the beer carbonating. What ya'll think? Wait for the rest of the parts or go ahead and fill'er up?

I waited to answer because I force carbonate my kegs and I wasn't sure, but since you haven't gotten any responses, I decided to chime in.

The drawback to naturally carbonating now is that you usually want to purge the air and replace it with CO2 before starting the carbonation, whether you force carbonate or naturally carbonate.

I wouldn't know how to purge the air and replace it with C02 using this system. I figured it was as easy as adding sugar to build up the C02. Would I need to use a C02 cartridge to purge the air? I believe that I can force carbonate with this system as well, I just don't have the means to

Guest System Admin

I chatted with a few online sales people from different sites and all said that the "Little" air left when filing the tail-gate system or any 2.5/3gallon system is like having air on top of your bottles, you don't purge before capping so do not worry.

As far as rebel brewer, just contact them and they will send out the missing items fast

Trollby, about how far up do you fill up the system? How much headspace should I have left?

The only one I have done so far I did 2.25 gallon batch and it was right up near the top in my 2.5 gallon keg. (maybe 1-2" from top)

I have a CO2 5# bottle so I ended up purging since I could, but if I did not have the bottle I believe it would of been fine.

--- edit ---

If you want you could fill with 2.5 gallons (measured) water to see. Also look at 2 gallon mark

Look on the inside of the 2.5 or 3 gallon corny kegs and near the top you'll see a thin black line, that's were you fill them up to.