Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bpbpthomas

Need the English Ales back!

Unbelievable. All of the refills and recipes based on an actual ale have disappeared. I talked to MB customer service, and they said "maybe sometime down the road maybe we'll have something kinda like that."

I'm sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, all beer comes down to either being ale or lager. Maybe it's not the most popular thing in the USA, but true ales/English brown ales are one of the staples of brewing.

How can it not even be an option?

I ordered a can of the "American Ale", which is sitting in the LBK, but I don't have very high hopes.
Major bummer.

If anyone has a stockpile of ENB HME, drop me a line. I'll pay dearly!

"bpbpthomas" post=267615 said:

Unbelievable. All of the refills and recipes based on an actual ale have disappeared. I talked to MB customer service, and they said "maybe sometime down the road maybe we'll have something kinda like that."

I'm sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, all beer comes down to either being ale or lager. Maybe it's not the most popular thing in the USA, but true ales/English brown ales are one of the staples of brewing.

How can it not even be an option?

I ordered a can of the "American Ale", which is sitting in the LBK, but I don't have very high hopes.
Major bummer.

If anyone has a stockpile of ENB HME, drop me a line. I'll pay dearly!

I think you may be confused. Other than some of the seasonals, all of the refills are actually ales (including those that have lager in their names).

Yes, technically they're all ales, because of the ferment temp, but I'm talking stylistically, with the malty (as opposed to hoppy) profile and amber to brown color and a robust body and low carbonation.

"bpbpthomas" post=267630 said:

Yes, technically they're all ales, because of the ferment temp, but I'm talking stylistically, with the malty (as opposed to hoppy) profile and amber to brown color and a robust body and low carbonation.

I think you're confusing (or maybe conflating) things. There are a number of different styles of ales.

It sounds like you're referring to one specific style. BJCP lists 9 different ales. The one you seem to want is 11. English Brown Ale.

"bpgreen" post=267649 said:

"bpbpthomas" post=267630 said:

I think you're confusing (or maybe conflating) things. There are a number of different styles of ales.

It sounds like you're referring to one specific style. BJCP lists 9 different ales. The one you seem to want is 11. English Brown Ale.

Ignore this. I didn't read the subject. You did specify in the subject that you were referring to English ale. I just read in the post that all recipes based on an actual ale had disappeared and was replying to that part, not noticing that you had specified English ales in the subject.

Seems to me that if Mr.Beer isn't providing what you need, you should branch out. If you're looking for an extract kit that is pretty much equal in complexity to the Mr.Beer ones, the Munton's Gold Old English Bitter or Highland Heavy; Munton's Old Ale, Bitter, or Nut Brown; Mountmellick Export Ale; Coopers Classic Old Dark or English Bitter; or Woodforde's Wherry Bitter, Nelson's Revenge Special Bitter, or Admiral's Reserve Strong Ale (among others) might be to your liking. Most of those are available on Amazon, at a LHBS, or at an online HBS, and, as discussed ad nauseum in the last month, all are much cheaper than Mr.Beer.

Since I don't have much room and don't have space for all-grain (sigh) - I'm probably going to mix up my own English brown using dark and amber DMEs with Fuggles hops and Safale 04 yeast. However, I have a good backlog of beers to drink and need to free up some bottles before I actually do more brewing.

Hopefully, they will release some British refills when they replace the Premium line. I'm also worried about the missing Nut Brown ale.

Munton's Gold has a brown porter that looks good. And Munton's also has a English Nut Brown Ale that I will switch to once my MB stocks are exhausted.

Has anyone tried the Cooper's British Bitter, I have my eye on that too?

Does anyone know that they actually will replace the premium line, or are you just assuming it because they used to have it?

"gophers6" post=267839 said:

Does anyone know that they actually will replace the premium line, or are you just assuming it because they used to have it?

Customer service told me "maybe sometime in the future we might have some premium options similar to what we used to, but not identical."

"PatBattle" post=267690 said:

Seems to me that if Mr.Beer isn't providing what you need, you should branch out. If you're looking for an extract kit that is pretty much equal in complexity to the Mr.Beer ones, the Munton's Gold Old English Bitter or Highland Heavy; Munton's Old Ale, Bitter, or Nut Brown; Mountmellick Export Ale; Coopers Classic Old Dark or English Bitter; or Woodforde's Wherry Bitter, Nelson's Revenge Special Bitter, or Admiral's Reserve Strong Ale (among others) might be to your liking. Most of those are available on Amazon, at a LHBS, or at an online HBS, and, as discussed ad nauseum in the last month, all are much cheaper than Mr.Beer.

Thank you!
I'll go online and start ordering Muntons from now on.
The Old English Bitter and Old Ale, Bitter and Nut Brown all sound like exactly what I'm looking for!
I haven't used Munton's before. What batch size are those made for? Are they for 5-gal, so I'd split one can between two LBKs? Or do they have 2.1-gal refills?
Thank you again! Sounds like my problems are solved.

"gophers6" post=267839 said:

Good question. Only Coopers/MB really knows. They might be waiting for feedback or maybe they have a Big Plan in place.

My gut hunch is that only 10 base refills is not enough in the long run. Coopers has an opportunity to expand it's market for UME with the MB purchase so my guess is that they will have a way to doctor up the base refills with more malt extract. But still, only 10 flavors of beer is not enough IMO.

I found the answer to my own question: it says it's a 5-gal batch that can be split in half for two Mr Beer batches.
My other question: I do have multiple LBKs, but I only have one 3-gal corney keg to dispense from. If I split this and make 1/2 a batch in a LBK, how long will the second half of the Munton's last after it's been opened?
Can I brew up 1/2 the can of Munton's extract, put a lid on it (do they come with lids like Mr Beer HMEs?) and stick it in the fridge for 4-6 weeks until I'm ready to brew the second batch?
I suppose I could get 2 LBKs running, and put 1/2 into my 3-gal corney and bottle the rest.
But does Munton's keep, once it's opened?

If I split this and make 1/2 a batch in a LBK, how long will the second half of the Munton's last after it's been opened?

Yes you can split the can and use half later. I do that with the Cooper's 5 gallon refills and haven't had a problem so far. Just pour about an ounce of cheap vodka on top of the unused portion in the can and seal with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed. I've gone as long as 8 weeks with no problem.

I have been adding half-cans of Muntons unhopped LME to my Mr Beer recipes, and storing the rest for 3 weeks until the next batch, in the fridge, with no problems. A thin layer of vodka on top can help. I assume the same could be done with HME.

"mrblase" post=267861 said:

If I split this and make 1/2 a batch in a LBK, how long will the second half of the Munton's last after it's been opened?

Yes you can split the can and use half later. I do that with the Cooper's 5 gallon refills and haven't had a problem so far. Just pour about an ounce of cheap vodka on top of the unused portion in the can and seal with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed. I've gone as long as 8 weeks with no problem.

Awesome, thanks!

If the can is metal, I would transfer to a different container (plastic or glass) first. It can be safely stored for 3-6 months at room temperature, roughly double that in the fridge and indefinitely in the freezer. As time goes on, it may darken a little and the flavor may change slightly, but it doesn't sound like you're talking about long time periods, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The thin layer of vodka is used to prevent mold. If you're storing it in the fridge, that shouldn't be an issue, anyway. I've stored LME at room temperature for months without developing mold, but humidity here is really low, so mold typically isn't a problem.

If you store it in the fridge, make sure you take it out the day before you brew to let it warm up so it will pour.

I have been putting my half-cans of LME from the 3.3 lb metal cans into a plastic container that originally held Briess LME (after cleaning and sanitizing, of course). When it's time for brewing the next batch, I can put this in the microwave to get it warm for pouring. (While in the fridge, it's also helpful to have the nicely-fitting top for the container.)

I'm looking at the Munton's Old Ale premium kit (http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/uk/prem_ale.htm), and the "simple instructions" include:

Clean and sterilise all equipment. Remove label and stand can in hot water for 5 minutes. Pour the can contents into the sterilised fermenter. Add sugar or spray dried malt extract.

The "gold" kits are more like Mr Beer: boil water, add the HME, cool, add yeast, set to ferment.

But has anyone done a premium kit? What does "add sugar or spray dried malt extract" mean in the directions?

"bpbpthomas" post=268057 said:

I'm looking at the Munton's Old Ale premium kit (http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/uk/prem_ale.htm), and the "simple instructions" include:

Clean and sterilise all equipment. Remove label and stand can in hot water for 5 minutes. Pour the can contents into the sterilised fermenter. Add sugar or spray dried malt extract.

The "gold" kits are more like Mr Beer: boil water, add the HME, cool, add yeast, set to ferment.

But has anyone done a premium kit? What does "add sugar or spray dried malt extract" mean in the directions?

It means that the kits are designed for 5 gallon batches, but the HME alone will produce a thin, low alcohol beer. To increase the alcohol content, add sugar. To increase both the alcohol content and body, add DME (spray dried malt extract is a type of DME).

"bpgreen" post=268068 said:

"bpbpthomas" post=268057 said:

It means that the kits are designed for 5 gallon batches, but the HME alone will produce a thin, low alcohol beer. To increase the alcohol content, add sugar. To increase both the alcohol content and body, add DME (spray dried malt extract is a type of DME).

Okay, I have some DME in my fridge. I'll start the water heating, add one pound of amber DME, bring it to foam, and then remove from heat and add 1/2 the can of HME and yeast. Thanks!

bpbpthomas~

So my post and my email to you regarding the English Ale didn't register?

Hmm.

If you are using the Muntons GOLD kits they come as 2 cans, you can just use 1 can in an LBK and save the other can for another batch. No need to split them. They make excellent, authentic, english style beers. You will just need to pick up a second packet of yeast for the second batch.

"mashani" post=268684 said:

If you are using the Muntons GOLD kits they come as 2 cans, you can just use 1 can in an LBK and save the other can for another batch. No need to split them. They make excellent, authentic, english style beers. You will just need to pick up a second packet of yeast for the second batch.

Wait, I saw it was two cans, but I figured that was two five gallon batches, i.e., four Mr Beer batches.
I'm only going to get two batches out of this? It just got twice as expensive.

"bpbpthomas" post=268879 said:

"mashani" post=268684 said:

Wait, I saw it was two cans, but I figured that was two five gallon batches, i.e., four Mr Beer batches.
I'm only going to get two batches out of this? It just got twice as expensive.

Yes, 2 batches. But they turn out excellent for canned kit beers.

I just made 2 bitter, a cooper and muntons. I use the whole can at once and the last bitter was really tasty and nice and hoppy! :cheers: