Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tugg-C

Best MrB Refill for a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale?

I recently had a pint of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale and LOVED it! I'd love to try to make a copy of it, and have a few questions. Which Mr. Beer HME would be best for the base? On hand I've got 3 International 3 packs from the Outfitters sale, Witty Monk, Black Tower Porter, Sticky Wicket, Pilothouse Pilsner, Linebacker, and a Creamy Brown UME; plus 3lbs each of Briess Pilsner and extra dark DME. I don't have much of a LHBS, just a liquor store that sells a few things, but they do keep the Briess LMEs on hand.

Also, about the oak chips. How many should I use for a 2 1/2 gallon batch? And how long should I soak them in the bourbon? And When should I put them in the LBK, after brewing with the wort, or a week or two in?

I've got about 8-10 brews under my belt now, still a noob but read here everyday, so I'm learning :) Thanks for the help!!

Tugg-C,

I am aging a bourbon barrel stout that I made using a Cooper stout HME refill but you could also use the MrBeer Sticky Wicket or the Black Tower Porter as the base for yours. Instead of booster use a pound of DME. You can also use some booster with the DME to increase the total alcohol. I soaked a tablespoon of oak chips and a vanilla bean in a cup of bourbon and added this after 10 days of primary fermentation. Then bottle after 3 weeks total has pasted. The carbing and conditioning are recommended at 3 months minimum. I have tried a bottle after 6 weeks and it was very tasty and strong but way under carbed, which I hope will change for the better with time. Pick a yeast that has a high tolerance for alcohol.