Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trying 4 Greatness

I need a Bock!

Well with the Brew Ha Bock gone I'm wondering do I try to make a Bock from the new refills or do try a different route. Opinions or advice welcome.

T4G

Well, if you don't step off the pitching rubber before throwing to first you'll get a . . . . Darn, wrong spelling!

Seriously, I haven't tried any of the new Cooper's brews, but you might be able to substitute the new Canadian Blonde for the High Country Canadian and a Mouton's Amber DME 1 lb for the LME Amber in the Brew Ha Ha Boch. But as I said, I haven't actually tried to do that. This is just an estimate.

"Trying 4 Greatness" post=267965 said:

Well with the Brew Ha Bock gone I'm wondering do I try to make a Bock from the new refills or do try a different route. Opinions or advice welcome.

T4G

T4G: Thanks for asking because the bock I made from MB ingredients has to be one of all-time favorites and I do mean all-time. What a brew...and I didn't know what all the Brew-ha-ha was all about. Hopefully we will get some answers here cuz these brewers know what to help us with.

"FedoraDave" post=268168 said:

Johann+Sebastian+Bach's+IQ+was+165.jpg

Sorry. Wrong Bach.

Barbara_Bach_11916_11.jpg

That's better.

Ahh yes.....Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Yes.

EIther DME or Amber LME will work.

The other good Bock is the 2Hellen Bock

OVL + Pale LME or DME + Honey

I like only 1 cup honey and 2.5# Pale LME with the OVL and Hallertau or Tettnanger hops

I found this recipe in one of my books and thought I'd scale it down to a MrB sized batch. Tell me what you think.

6 lbs pale liquid malt extract
2 lbs pale DME
1 lb 60 L Crystal malt
1/2 lb chocolate malt
0.5 ounce Hallertau (60 mins)
0.5 ounce Hallertau (45 mins)
0.5 ounce Hallertau (30 mins)
Wyeast #2206 yeast
1 teaspoon Irish moss
8 days @ 55*
14 days @ 45*

The following was posted as a suggestion, "Traditional Bock beers are big beers; start with no less than 8 poinds of amber extract; steep 1.5 pounds of 1.5 pounds 40-L crystal ad strain into work. Use a high-quality Lager yeast (preferably liquid) and allow a long, cool fermentation period."

I don't know how the suggestion could be used with this recipe but since it was posted I thought I'd ask. One quick question though can I sub a different type of yeast for the yeast stated as I don't know if I can get my fridge to hold those temps and I know the cooler and ice bottle won't work in the TX summer heat. I know a different yeast will affect the final taste some.

Thanks,
T4G

"Trollby" post=268183 said:

EIther DME or Amber LME will work.

The other good Bock is the 2Hellen Bock

OVL + Pale LME or DME + Honey

I like only 1 cup honey and 2.5# Pale LME with the OVL and Hallertau or Tettnanger hops

So are you saying...

1 can OVL
2.5 pounds of LME
1 cup of Honey

how about those hops? do you do a boil with the lme?