Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
zucho

First time Hop boil question

Recommended Posts

Ok, so for my next beer I am planning on doing a 60 minute hop boil with 1 lb. of muntons amber DME and was wondering how much water I should use for the boil thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"zucho" post=268184 said:

Ok, so for my next beer I am planning on doing a 60 minute hop boil with 1 lb. of muntons amber DME and was wondering how much water I should use for the boil thanks for the help.

Why would you do a 60-min hop boil with only 1 lb. of DME? What's your recipe, zucho? Will HME be included in the recipe. If so, a 60 minute boil is likely unnecessary. Or are you just making a 1-gal batch of beer? It would be helpful to have more information. Lay it on us, brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"packerduf" post=268192 said:

"zucho" post=268184 said:

Ok, so for my next beer I am planning on doing a 60 minute hop boil with 1 lb. of muntons amber DME and was wondering how much water I should use for the boil thanks for the help.

Why would you do a 60-min hop boil with only 1 lb. of DME? What's your recipe, zucho? Will HME be included in the recipe. If so, a 60 minute boil is likely unnecessary. Or are you just making a 1-gal batch of beer? It would be helpful to have more information. Lay it on us, brother!

I took it to mean that he planned to use a pound for the go boil and do a late addition with the rest. But you're right. If he doesn't tell us, we're only guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"bpgreen" post=268195 said:

I took it to mean that he planned to use a pound for the go boil and do a late addition with the rest. But you're right. If he doesn't tell us, we're only guessing.


Ditto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The_Professor" post=268201 said:

"bpgreen" post=268195 said:

I took it to mean that he planned to use a pound for the go boil and do a late addition with the rest. But you're right. If he doesn't tell us, we're only guessing.


Ditto

Make sense. He is currently viewing this thread, yet not offering more info. Hmmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am planning on using the WCPA with Tettnanger and centennial hops along with the DME to make an IPA. I had thought that for Hop boils it was standard to boil for 60 mins if not Im happy to go for a shorter time : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also this is my first time hop boil so any information will be very useful thanks again for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"zucho" post=268212 said:

I am planning on using the WCPA with Tettnanger and centennial hops along with the DME to make an IPA. I had thought that for Hop boils it was standard to boil for 60 mins if not Im happy to go for a shorter time : )

Let us know you hop schedule and amounts before you get it going and we can give you advice on that part of it. How big is your pot for your boil? Is this a LBK batch or a 5 gallon batch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was planning on using 0.5 oz of centennial and 0.25 Tetnnager both for 60 mins with 1 lb. of DME, but looking at what professor posted I should be able to cut the boil down to 30 min and still come out with a good IPA right?
This is a mr. beer sized batch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tett's are a German noble hop, so I personally wouldn't use them in a West Coast style IPA. But if that's all you've got, I might use the tett's in a 60 minute boil to add some bitterness, then use the centennials in a flavor/aroma boil. I'd have to run the numbers to get more specific, but I think you've got enough there to make a decent pale ale or light IPA (with one HME and 1lb extract you're OG won't be high enough to really get into IPA territory).

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would consider a little more DME....perhaps 2 pounds? It's your recipe. If you're going IPA I would then consider more hops. So far I have mostly wished I added more hops to my beers. One of the next things I want to tackle is an Imperial IPA with very big hops.

Then, consider a dry hop as well, like a week into ferment. So it's not just about all the different times in the boil...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

IMHO I would use 2.5 lbs of DME unless you are also using an HME. The hop boil should go as follows. 1/4 oz Tettnanger at 60 mins, 1/4 oz centennial at 15 mins, and the last of your centennial at 5 mins. This would be considered a pale ale not an IPA. If you have more hops then it could become an IPA. I would use about 18-22 cups water for your boil if you go 60 mins and use a pound of DME for your hop boil, add the rest of your DME at flameout. Beware of boilover when your DME comes to a boil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"stevecon" post=268433 said:

...I would use about 18-22 cups water for your boil if you go 60 mins and use a pound of DME for your hop boil, add the rest of your DME at flameout. Beware of boilover when your DME comes to a boil.

is there a reason to add the DME while you boil the hops? or could you just boil the hops and add the DME at flameout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a reason why we do a boil that includes both malt and hops. It's about utilization and such....others can describe the why better than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"snakefetus" post=268491 said:

"stevecon" post=268433 said:

...I would use about 18-22 cups water for your boil if you go 60 mins and use a pound of DME for your hop boil, add the rest of your DME at flameout. Beware of boilover when your DME comes to a boil.

is there a reason to add the DME while you boil the hops? or could you just boil the hops and add the DME at flameout

You'll sometimes see people post that the hops need something to cling to. That's not technically correct, but it's a way to convey that you need to have some malt in the water for the boil. The actual reason is that the malt changes the water chemistry so that the alpha acids can be extracted from the hops. If you boil in plain water, you won't get much bitterness from the hops because plain water doesn't extract teh alpha acids very well.

One thing to keep in mind is that although you need some malt, you don't want to overdo it. At a certain point, the utilization goes down. From what I've read, the optimal utilization happens in a wort that is somewhere between 1.030 and 1.040.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen~

That's interesting. So, I'm curious how that works for lower gravity beers. For example, I was thinking of doing a Scottish 70 and has an OG of 1.038.

It would appear that all the fermentables need to be in up front. If I took intended to put in the 1 can of Pale Export post-boil (i.e. late addition)...I'd be under that number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just brewed last night I ended up boiling the hops with 1 lb. of Muntons amber DME for 30mins in 10 cups of water. At flameout I then added I package of booster and one can of WCPA. I pitched my yeast as normal and have a nice layer of krausen in my LBK thanks Borg for the help and advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Fee" post=268292 said:

So far I have mostly wished I added more hops to my beers.

I've been thinking that same thing as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Christ872" post=268538 said:

bpgreen~

That's interesting. So, I'm curious how that works for lower gravity beers. For example, I was thinking of doing a Scottish 70 and has an OG of 1.038.

It would appear that all the fermentables need to be in up front. If I took intended to put in the 1 can of Pale Export post-boil (i.e. late addition)...I'd be under that number.

You don't need to do a full volume boil. You could boil 1 lb of LME in 1 gallon of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"Joechianti" post=268544 said:

"Fee" post=268292 said:

So far I have mostly wished I added more hops to my beers.

I've been thinking that same thing as well.

I hear that, I have 2 lbs of hops in my freezer and I still don't use enough for my IPA's. One day I'll quit being a tight wad and use 2-3 oz of hops in my brews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a 5 gallon PTE kit. Used 14 ounces of hops, and felt it could have used more. No such thing as enough hops, only barely enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...